• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.

Alright, who is playing and what teams are you on? I have to know who my enemies are.

Level 13 Team Mystic here. Haven't caught anything tremendously exciting, though... =\

My roommate is incredibly lucky at catching all kinds of neat ones, but I just get crap.

Ugh, I was gonna get this game, but when my family and I watched the news reports of people dying or getting robbed because the game took them to a bad part of the town, I said no thanks.  I would never expect to watch the news without hearing about this game.  

I gave it a go, and I stopped after twenty minutes because I thought it was stupid.

I've been playing. Level 17 Team Mystic, caught a Magmar outside of my college yesterday.

There's no Pokestops near my house, which sucks, but I'm constantly in range of two of them when I have classes, so that's been my chance to stock up on Pokeballs.

Pokemon Go is stupid and everyone who plays it is stupid.

Also, it won't run on my phone.

35 minutes ago, Syd said:

I've been playing. Level 17 Team Mystic

*secret team mystic high five*

I have to walk a couple of blocks from my house for the nearest pokestops and gyms, but there are lots of them around where I work. Lots of parks and college campuses nearby, which help a lot.

I have nothing interesting or unusual, though. Eevee, rattata, pidgies, and drowzees. That's 99% of what I find in 13 levels of searching. I have a few slightly more rare ones, but I can never find anymore, so they are all weak and useless, so it really doesn't matter. The best thing I have is a single Jolteon, and it's not even that great a Jolteon.

I play it when I can, which isn't a lot since I don't have cellphone service, so I'm tied to Wi-FI or whenever my mom lets me use her iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Still not even level 5 yet.

It was only rolled out in Norway last week, but my wife has been playing it a lot. It's not for me, but I think it's fun to hear about the pokemons she collects because most of the servers at the place I work are named after pokemons, so I associate the names with the servers. Like, "yeah, that's a system monitoring server" or "that's a MySQL server" or "that's a Nginx web server", and so on. I know the names of at least 30 pokemons without ever having played a Pokemon game.

There's not much actual gameplay present.  It's mostly wandering around hoping RNG spawns something for you to catch, and then playing a terrible ball throwing mini-game to catch it.

19 minutes ago, SHODANFreeman said:

There's not much actual gameplay present.  It's mostly wandering around hoping RNG spawns something for you to catch, and then playing a terrible ball throwing mini-game to catch it.

As many have pointed out, it's basically just an MMORPG in all of the worst ways. The appeal is mainly the social aspect of it. If you're playing alone, then you probably aren't having any fun.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

I've been attending local gatherings of Pokemon Go players and those sorts of things are definitely the highlight of the game right now.

I've heard of some cool stuff in the works but the game itself is pretty bare-bones for the time being and far from the Proper Pokemon Experience™ you'd get on a Nintendo handheld.

4 hours ago, Syd said:

I've been attending local gatherings of Pokemon Go players and those sorts of things are definitely the highlight of the game right now.

I've heard of some cool stuff in the works but the game itself is pretty bare-bones for the time being and far from the Proper Pokemon Experience™ you'd get on a Nintendo handheld.

Yeah, this is the only reason it's fun for me. My roomie and I go out for walks and search for pokemon together, though she plays a lot more than I do so she is high enough level now to be catching all kinds of higher level stuff and I'm still mostly catching pidgies, and as with any MMORPG, it's not really fun to play with friends who are 20 levels higher than you because they just play non-stop. So the level disparity is making us not walk together as much anymore.

But we go to other things. There are official pokewalk days on nearby college campuses where people put a bunch of lures down. There was also an official Team Mystic "Escape The Room" night a few days ago where a bunch of people from Team Mystic met up and did one of those live escape-the-room games, but also caught some pokemon.

It's really the tangential social stuff that makes the game fun. And the AR elements make sharing pictures of pokemon perched on friends heads etc to social media very easy and fun to do, so it's a social game in both the in-person sense and the internet sense.

I imagine if you live in the country or a less populated area where there aren't really any of these kinds of social events going on, and you don't really see other people walking around doing it, then it probably isn't very exciting.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

A couple nights ago, some guy ran into my work with his phone, shouted something, and ran out.  I assume it had to do with this thing.  The sad part is that it wouldn't have been a notable event if he wasn't waving a cellphone around.  Most people whom do that can't afford phones.