Sign in to follow this  
Kingsnake

A Grim Fandango Quote

There's something I've been wondering about, on-and-off, since one of my early playthroughs of Grim Fandango (the original; I don't know if what I describe is still the case in the remake).  I've looked for answers, but have never found anything; I'm embarassed that it took me this long to simply come to the source to find the truth. 

There's a point in Year Four when Manny, standing before the door to the office of the game's main antagonist, looks at it and says ""Through this dark portal, an innocent man shall pass. And arrive on the other side, innocent still, but colder of heart"". Those additional marks aren't typos; the text appears that way in-game. It is, in fact, the only bit of in-game text that does.

Since it's not indicating sarcasm or euphemism (unless it's done so subtly I completely missed the point, which I rather doubt, I can only conclude that he's quoting something- or someone.  But I have no idea what.  Can anyone here enlighten me?

Tim Schaffer can be very poetic and I think he wrote every line on GF, including this one. So I think this quote is from "Grim Fandango Universe". It's moments like this one that make me daydream about the amplitude and depth of the GF World that actually only exists inside our minds. It's so rich and full of potential, yet most of this world is left for us to wonder.