Double Fine Action Forums

Firstly, I've REALLY enjoyed headlander, on the whole. It felt exactly as long as it needed to be, with a nice challenge curve, lots of character and lots of options in combat. 

But I reached the final boss last night and maaan, he's bumming me out.

I can deal with the first phase easily and usually the second phase too unless I get unlucky (one of the frustrations has been how easy it is to get killed in a split second, so there's very little scope for any mistakes). But the 3rd one I'm having great problems with. 

So far I haven't even been able to deactivate the glowy shield. I think the idea is that you're supposed to start using the bodies that come in, but they appear so frequently that it's hard to stay alive in one for very long, and I've found that launching away is pretty much always a risk as that whole area is a risky place for the head to be.

I think I'm supposed to be shooting the chest area to deactivate the shield, but I've been trying the method of using detached heads as bombs and it just doesn't seem to have any effect, and everything else seems to end in my violent destruction. 

I want to finish the game so any advice would be great, but I'm a little sad that something I enjoyed so much for most of the way through is ending on such a frustrating note. I think the problem is that none of the previous tasks have demanded the skills required for this boss, and so I'm feeling inadequately prepared having a hard to just figuring out what the game is expecting me to do. 

For that third phase, I hopped in the bot that spawns on the right, shot the boss' chest plate for a bit and then use the "headbut" skill to swap into the body of the newly spawned guy on the right. His HP goes down pretty quickly during this phase so my recommendation is to just run in there and blast that soft spot as fast as you can, until your bot's hp starts to dip; swap to a new bot and repeat.

There is one more phase after this and the key for that one is to keep your distance by boosting away from him and then boost into him when you HP has regenerated. It's not difficult but you need to be patient because he can wipe your entire HP pool quickly if you let him get on top of you.

I hope this helps.

Hey, Kestrel Pi! Sorry that section is giving you a tough time. We've actually made some tweaks to tuning in the latter half of the game that should make this section a little less butt-stabby. That update should be hitting sometime today.

But! That third round is about leveraging the bodies in the room to take out the Boss' midsection. There's tons of ways to go about that depending on which upgrades you have available to you. Auto-Sentries or Shepherd Hack can be super useful. Charged Shot, Prismatic Body Shield, Head Butt Swap (as Rodego recommended) etc. With the right combination of upgrades, you can annihilate his midriff in no time. ;) 

UPDATE:

I did it. The head butt thing worked in the end, though it took me another hour or two!

Thanks for the help

I'm there myself right now with a fully one hundred MONSTER Headlander but still having difficulty with this one.

Mainly I think the issue comes from the sensitivity of so many things on the controller that it makes mistakes when I didn't mean to.  

I want to beat this though and really hope this final Methusaleh speech is revealing and quality.

I've been thinking about why I had so much trouble with this boss and I think that apart from it being really easy to get an unlucky one shot kill, I think it's just that it's the only fight in the game where it's basically necessary to use multiple strategies to stay alive. I bought loads of abilities that never came into play until this final fight, and so it was difficult to actually figure out what I could do.

I get what they were trying to do with the boss, I probably could have done without it being such a pain. The tips above worked quite well for me though.

Beat the last boss yesterday. Managed it on my second attempt, where I failed the first attempt only because the game crashed to desktop during the last phase. I found it to be quite easy, but I did spend a lot of time enabling abilities and training with them. The third phase was the easiest for me, where I just made a sentry of every shepherd that teleported in. I also had almost max upgrades on helmet energy, so I could use the shield and thrust almost always. 

I'm usually very impatient with bosses in games, but this one worked very well for me. Will be posting a lengthier summary of how I felt about the game in another thread, but in short - I really enjoyed it. 

On 10/08/2016 at 4:59 PM, CecilRousso said:

Beat the last boss yesterday. Managed it on my second attempt, where I failed the first attempt only because the game crashed to desktop during the last phase. I found it to be quite easy, but I did spend a lot of time enabling abilities and training with them. The third phase was the easiest for me, where I just made a sentry of every shepherd that teleported in. I also had almost max upgrades on helmet energy, so I could use the shield and thrust almost always. 

I'm usually very impatient with bosses in games, but this one worked very well for me. Will be posting a lengthier summary of how I felt about the game in another thread, but in short - I really enjoyed it. 

Also I think they rebalanced it a bit in the patch

Ah, ok. I thought those changes were in a coming patch. 

If that patch is already out there, and I played with it, then jobb well done because I enjoyed the fight. 

Although I thought that it would be checkpointed after the patch, but when the game crashed on the final stage, I had to replay it from start?

There is no check point in the final boss battle, but it isn't that hard either. It's just so chaotic in the "hit the torso" stage it feels like it needs one.

15 hours ago, buckysrevenge said:

There is no check point in the final boss battle, but it isn't that hard either. It's just so chaotic in the "hit the torso" stage it feels like it needs one.

It's quite easy if you make sentry drones out of each shepherd that teleports in. The main problem then is to avoid docking with shepherds that are already drones instead of the latest one that you pulled the head off.