Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lebostein

First DF game for Windows only? First DF game for Steam only? Are you sure???

All Doube Fine games are available for Mac OS and Linux. And all Doube Fine games are available on GOG.com

Why this game is Windows only? And why this game is Steam only?

I am very disappointed at the moment..... can we hope for better times?

Edited by Lebostein

Yes.

Not that the completely senseless delay isn't suppremely annoying. :|

Unfortunately, you're quite wrong about "all" other Double Fine games being on gog.com.

No Hack & Slash, no Costume Quest 2, no The Cave, no Spacebase DF-9.

And when they finally release Headlander on GOG, I have an inkling they forget to offer the soundtrack as well. B|

Edited by Vainamoinen

Adult Swim are in charge of the distribution this time around, and they are talking to GOG and Humble now.

The Humble version is up now, but it's just a steam code.

The mac version is coming super soon, No linux version this time around though I'm afraid, here's my post form the steam boards:

Previously we've been using Direct X 9 for the windows version of our games, and deriving an opengl version from that to make a mac and linux port.

For Headlander we wanted to push the visuals as much as possible, and so are using the more up to date Direct X 11. Building an opengl version from that would require a rewrite of the whole system we use, and we just don't have the time / money / resources to do that.

Headlander is the last game that we will (probably) ever make on our internal Buddah engine as we are moving to Unreal from now onwards. So even if we did have the time and money etc, it doesn't make much sense to invest lots of work into this engine that we won't ever use again.

The good thing about using Unreal is that is has greater compatibility across win / mac / linux, so we should be able to better support Linux again in our future games - We've already confirmed that Psychonauts 2 will be on Linux.

Also: To make the Mac version, we're using Metal, which has no compatibility with Linux. Where we'd usually be able to make both of those versions together, this time we can't.

We're really sorry guys, we do try our hardest to support everyone, but it's not always possible!

Wait, how can you guys confirm it's going to be on GOG when Adult Swim is only talking to the platform's owners right now, two full days after the game's actual release?

36 minutes ago, CountDuckula said:

Pester them to take your money here :)http://www.adultswim.com/footer/contact/

Sorry, no thanks, I hate organized pestering. :|

Let's just hope AS gets their shit together anytime soon, and let's hope GOG for once accepts being just an afterthought.

/edit: Just recognized the forum doesn't auto-censor curse words any more. Thanks for that, seriously. I'll do my best to use the power responsibly. :)

Edited by Vainamoinen

15 hours ago, Lebostein said:

All Doube Fine games are available for Mac OS and Linux.

Iron Brigade isn't available for Linux and Mac either. Double Fine still has an extremely good track record when it comes to supporting Linux and Mac though, so I can live with not being able to play that and Headlander. And I'm happy to hear they're using UE4 going forward, and hopefully use OpenGL or Vulkan instead of platform specific graphics APIs for their future games. I'd also love to see all of Double Fine's games on itch.io, but I don't know how likely that is to happen. 

On 29/07/2016 at 9:36 PM, Spaff said:

The Humble version is up now, but it's just a steam code.

No way of downloading without? It's DRM free, yes?

No DRM free version is available right now, We have requested our usual distribution methods, and the ball is in Adult Swim's court now...

On 7/30/2016 at 1:10 AM, Vainamoinen said:

/edit: Just recognized the forum doesn't auto-censor curse words any more. Thanks for that, seriously. I'll do my best to use the power responsibly. :)

it does, just not for "shit" any more as it seems too mild to filter for...

After the all important first sales week has whooshed by, it's safe to say that Adult Swim won't feel a lot of pressure bringing Headlander to any additional platforms. They've done, to put it mildly, a less than acceptable job as distributor.

Any chance the soundtrack will eventually end up on bandcamp? :|

This is the first DF game that I've been truly looking forward to playing and now I guess I never will. I don't own a PS4, there won't be a Linux version, and the Windows version isn't DRM free.

1 hour ago, Smiles said:

I'd like to play it on my ipod shuffle!

Smiles

I know it's meant as a lighthearted jab, and you're good people; however, that comes off as a bit condescending towards those who had been hoping to play the game on their platform of choice. (Me included.)

For what it's worth, I am also still hoping for a DRM-free release.

Still no news. Any chance someone at DF could request an official response from adultswim regarding a GOG release?

Edited by CountDuckula

9 hours ago, ThunderPeel said:

Pretty sure your best bet is to contact them yourself: https://twitter.com/adultswimgames

Cheers, but I dont use twitter.

I contacted adultswim via http://www.adultswim.com/footer/contact/ and politely asked if there was any info on a GOG release. Havnt received any form of response which is pretty poor. Was hoping perhaps DF would have more luck getting their attention.

Edited by CountDuckula

The ship has departed long ago, I think. This game officially released more than three weeks ago, Adult Swim won't jump through any hoops just to get it on GOG and earn those all important 0.2% of full price sales while the hilariously boring No Man's Sky would still steal Headlander's thunder. Maybe they'll throw it on the platform for cheaps during the Christmas sale, I stopped caring (and frankly, I'm not buying at full price when most of the players I could have discussed the game with have long since moved on to other games).

Still trying to get my hands on the soundtrack though. I literally just took 10 bucks out of my wallet and waved them through the air, asking "Any takers?". :|

Edited by Vainamoinen

The Mac version hasn't shipped yet either, so I would guess that they haven't stopped development on the game yet. Maybe they're waiting for that version to be ready, so they can release it on GOG all at once? I hope you guys get to enjoy it at one point, because it's a wonderful game. The statistics on SteamSpy don't look too good, however. I wonder how it has done on Playstation.

That looks odd indeed. Looking at the list of popular new releases on Steam, page 3, it's just below We Happy Few, which was released on the same day and have more than ten times as many owners, according to SteamSpy, so something doesn't look right. It could be that popular releases isn't determined by total number of copies sold though, but eg. trending based on week-to-week data.

Hmm. Maybe AS didn't spend much on promoting it? I'll be picking it up when it's gone down in price. Maybe others will be the same?

It's weird, isn't it? The numbers for 'We Happy Few' do include 7,500 Kickstarter backers and, as far as I'm aware, that game didn't get a console release. That still doesn't explain the big difference however. But I think it's safe to say that Headlander hasn't been a big hit on Steam as of yet. Costume Quest 2 hasn't done that well either, although again players here are scattered over different platforms.

It's sad, because I like Headlander a lot and think it's one of DF's better games of the past few years (with things like Hack 'N' Slash, Massive Chalice and The Cave being really nice, but missing that final lick of paint, so to speak).

Edited by honeymaker

Yeah, I know what you mean. I found Hack N Slash to be especially rough around the edges (although The Cave felt very slick). 

2 hours ago, ThunderPeel said:

Hmm. Maybe AS didn't spend much on promoting it?

Not sure AS even promoted it one bit. But several high profile gaming websites did, and what flesk wrote is quite correct, so to me it's completely out of the question that just 7,200 people have bought the game. Steamspy "done fucked up".

1 hour ago, ThunderPeel said:

(although The Cave felt very slick). 

Could be that I was playing on a Mac back then that my experience wasn't as smooth.

58 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Not sure AS even promoted it one bit. But several high profile gaming websites did, and what flesk wrote is quite correct, so to me it's completely out of the question that just 7,200 people have bought the game. Steamspy "done fucked up".

I don't doubt that the numbers are off, maybe we should double or quadruple that number, but the small playerbase does corroborate with the fact that it didn't stay long (or didn't even acquire a position?) in the top 10 on Steam around the time of release. Song of the Deep shows a similar four digit number. Maybe it just isn't the time for a Metroidvania type game? It could also be the summer holidays in combination with other game releases getting more attention. Or maybe most people interested in this genre are on consoles?

Edited by honeymaker

On 2016-08-19 at 9:55 AM, flesk said:

That looks odd indeed. Looking at the list of popular new releases on Steam, page 3, it's just below We Happy Few, which was released on the same day and have more than ten times as many owners, according to SteamSpy, so something doesn't look right. It could be that popular releases isn't determined by total number of copies sold though, but eg. trending based on week-to-week data.

Well,We Happy Few has two things going for it. 

1. The E3 trailer for it generated a lot of hype and buzz, clicking some "this looks like Bioshock!" nerve in many people.

2. And when it was released, and turned out to be something different, that different turned out to be a survival game, which is very much what people want. 

Those numbers for Headlander seem a bit low, but I do think it's correct in that We Happy Few has sold more. 

Adult Swim did promote the game, but also seemed to make some weird moves regarding it, with billboards being setup in some cities in US. 

I do hope that it sells enough for DF, cause it's a very fine game that I enjoyed, 100% complete, and something I will recommend to people. 

I quite enjoyed The Cave when it was released, but this is a big step up in terms controls, level design presentation and overall flow of the game. 

I guess these guys don't watch Adult Swim... They were running Headlander commercials multiple times an hour.

Sign in to follow this