Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

Missing backer badges

I've been waiting for them to reappear, but it's been a while now without any sign... Are w going to get our Massive Chalive backer badges back? :)

Edited by ThunderPeel

If Brad wanted there to be Massive Chalice badges, then he shouldn't have been a traitor!!!!

There is a chance it will never happen but we are hopeful it can be. The data is there but it's not an easy fix. Jenni is going to help out though, and she is great so finger's crossed she can figure it out! 

Maybe I could take a look and help Jenni out. If the data is there, it might not be so hard. I'm a dab hand with PHP, too ;)

Edited by ThunderPeel

Thanks for the offer to help.  At this point though, I'm not exactly sure what data is available. I haven't yet had a chance to look it, since I haven't yet been given permissions for that.  Double Fine's been super busy gearing up for PAX West.

Keep your fingers crossed that the migration tool transferred the data from the Emotion Engine database to the Invision database.  If that's the case, it definitely shouldn't be too hard. :)

Even if it didn't transfer over though, I'm still optimistic it will be possible to transfer the data over manually.  As long as the old Emotion Engine database is still there, it should be possible to extract and inject the data into the Invision database anyway.  That one won't be as easy though (doable, hopefully, but will take a few more steps ;)).

I'd be happy to help too, if needed. I have quite a bit of experience writing db migration scripts, and I'm a code whisperer. Not particularly fond of PHP though, but I can read it well enough.

I work for a small IT company and do a bit of everything from developing web applications to maintaining servers and databases. We also have a ton of legacy systems written in a dozen different languages, so I have a passing acquaintance with a bunch of things. It's not the most lucrative job, but it's fun for the most part. Are you a developer too? 

aha awesome guys, thanks for the offer of help!

Maybe we can we all get together and check things out post PAX?

It will actually be the week after that actually, as i have some time off coming up! 

19 hours ago, Jenni said:

Keep your fingers crossed that the migration tool transferred the data from the Emotion Engine database to the Invision database.  If that's the case, it definitely shouldn't be too hard. :)

LOL. Expression Engine, not Emotion Engine.  The old forum software was the pits, but I doubt it ran on a PlayStation 2. :P

Thanks to both of you for your offers to help.  Once Double Fine gets settled down from PAX, I'll be able to take a look at how Klint set everything up on the old forum.  Hopefully he did everything pretty straightforward.

By the way, if you're wondering - I managed to get the Double Fine backer badges back because Klint simply set everyone to a Broken Age forum group for that game.  That made it extremely straightforward, and easy to handle.  He created a custom field in the database for the Massive Chalice badges though (and retroactively for Broken Age). That's the reason why the moderators don't show the Broken Age badges at the moment.  It should be possible to get those back too.  The profile pages on the new forum do list a category for backer badges under the fields imported from the old forum - so that's hopefully a good sign that the data actually has been transferred directly into the new database.

On 30/08/2016 at 7:39 PM, flesk said:

I work for a small IT company and do a bit of everything from developing web applications to maintaining servers and databases. We also have a ton of legacy systems written in a dozen different languages, so I have a passing acquaintance with a bunch of things. It's not the most lucrative job, but it's fun for the most part. Are you a developer too? 

Yep.  A web developer. I've worked on some fairly big projects (some of which even won awards!). I love front end, but I also have written CMS's from scratch using PHP and MySQL. I'm currently learning Swift in my spare time, too - maybe start building some iOS apps for fun. I'm lucky enough to also project manage the things I work on, so I have complete control over everything :)

22 hours ago, Jenni said:

LOL. Expression Engine, not Emotion Engine.  The old forum software was the pits, but I doubt it ran on a PlayStation 2. :P

Thanks to both of you for your offers to help.  Once Double Fine gets settled down from PAX, I'll be able to take a look at how Klint set everything up on the old forum.  Hopefully he did everything pretty straightforward.

By the way, if you're wondering - I managed to get the Double Fine backer badges back because Klint simply set everyone to a Broken Age forum group for that game.  That made it extremely straightforward, and easy to handle.  He created a custom field in the database for the Massive Chalice badges though (and retroactively for Broken Age). That's the reason why the moderators don't show the Broken Age badges at the moment.  It should be possible to get those back too.  The profile pages on the new forum do list a category for backer badges under the fields imported from the old forum - so that's hopefully a good sign that the data actually has been transferred directly into the new database.

That's great. If they're in the database it should be a cinch!

Edited by ThunderPeel

I'd also be willing to help out; I've been working with PHP and MySQL for nearly a decade, building and maintaining websites. Just let me know.

Sounds like we have some great web talent on the boards. Perhaps we will make use of this more often! 

When Jenni has time to investigate this a bit more and see what's going on then we can build a task force to fix it?

you guys are the best

Sounds like a plan to me.  The Open Studio art group that I was helping run is winding down next week, so my time should be freed up by next Friday, hopefully.

Totally unrelated to this, but I happened to come across a comment you'd posted on an article on web frameworks the other day, @ThunderPeel. Didn't we talk about responsive web design in one of these threads? 

Sorry guys this is  such a low priority for me vs tons of other things going on that it keeps slipping to the bottom of the list.

I need to check in with Jenni to see where she's at but i'd be very happy for you to help us get this sorted out!