• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Feddlefew

ITT: Feddlefew Learns to Cook!

Since both of my parents are unable too make dinner due to their work scheduals and, ahem, health problems for the next few months, I'm now in charge of dinners! Since my mom is unfortunately allergic to all corn products (including animals which have eat corn) I'm pretty much cooking from scratch.

Last night, I made garlic chicken thighs for me, my brother, and my dad, and rice pilaf from scratch for my mom. Now I have two left over chicken thighs I'm not sure what to do with.

I've already had chicken quesadillas this week. The chicken was really dry, but we used breast meat soooo...

Maybe jambalaya? Traditionally it's made with shrimp or sausage, but I always make it with chicken or steak.

Jambalya is awesome. When I get it at the lunch restaurant near my office, it's often with both sasuage and chicken. 

3 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Jambalya is awesome. When I get it at the lunch restaurant near my office, it's often with both sasuage and chicken. 

I like Jambalya. 8^)

I'm making a plum tart next. Just got to wait for the plums to ripen.

As an aside, have a whole lot of peeled garlic (30-40 cloves worth) to use up, so if anyone has suggestions... 

Edited by Feddlefew

1 hour ago, Feddlefew said:

I like Jambalya. 8^)

I'm making a plum tart next. Just got to wait for the plums to ripen.

As an aside, have a whole lot of peeled garlic (30-40 cloves worth) to use up, so if anyone has suggestions... 

Have you considered a career as a vampire hunter?

16 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Have you considered a career as a vampire hunter?

Nah. That's next year, if I manage to get my garlic crop to actually grow.

12 hours ago, epic said:

How about fried chicken?  Like it Southern style?

I'm trying to avoid deep or pan frying things for awhile. However, my D&D group has decided we're going to get together and learn to fry some stuff around Christmas time. I'm gonna make falafal and chicken wings.

Edit: I need either a food processor or a standing mixer. A food processor with a kneeing paddle would let me make the most things, yet a standing mixer would be better for breads, which I make a lot of.

Edited by Feddlefew

On September 3, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Feddlefew said:

I like Jambalya. 8^)

I always found a good gumbo to be preferable to jambalaya. I usually use the same ingredients every time, those being shrimp, andouille sausage, okra, chicken, and a bunch of differing spices and such.

For dessert, I have only three words for you: beignets and coffee.

Edited by Noname215

Mom wants vegetarian, corn-free dish suggestions you guys. She hates mushrooms, too.

ugh, I get sick of pasta after one dish

Edit: uh, plate I mean

Edited by Double H
just realized something

Pasta again tonight!!!!

We're taking turns cooking, so my mother, my brother, and my dad (who don't do the dishes, BTW) all said to themselves "Eh, I don't wan't to make something hard, I'll just make pasta." and made enough that there's left overs.

SIX. DAYS. OF PASTA.

(I made egg salad.)

Edited by Feddlefew

I'm okay with pasta as long as there is some kind of meat and marinara involved. None of that disgusting pasta salad nonsense.

*flips over pasta salad bowl*

This is what I think of your pasta salad!!!!

Pasta Salad is good as long as it's made with flavorful vinaigrette (no mayo ever) and made a day ahead. You also want to use something a bit sturdier than elbow macaroni.

Well, it took a couple tries, but I finally found a recipe that makes a good crust for galettes. Most of them were either too dry or not structurally sound enough to bake without a pie tin. Or required encasing a block of butter in dough.