Sign in to follow this  
Bidiot Bales

A puzzle to solve

<ataireeh!eqquaeuq#itkiwwaq%emmnokio^ivvudeai&ovcaemin*ajbulkip(ortoweeq#akrazxei@izxaxuvc(ollippik)illeieik/otgotrwa>

I have no idea, but it looks like mostly octuples (except the second to last), separated by special characters, all of them start with a vowel, and almost all of them (except ovcaemin and ajbulkip) have repeating characters. Doesn't look like a plain substitution cipher to me. Could be Sandorf, but that would require a key to solve.

I'm also noticing the octuples separated by special characters. The octuples seem significant, suggesting that perhaps each octuple is supposed to be arranged onto a grid somehow maybe. But

--One octuple is not an octuple: second from last is  "ileieik" which is only seven characters (possibly an error?)

--Most of the special character between each octuple correspond to a number (except the last one), which is possibly significant, but possibly not since throwaway characters are sometimes just used as dividers or spaces, which could be all that's happening here.

Messed up the puzzle slightly, I've added an extra character in. Puzzle should be correct now.

Good luck. The solution isn't anything hilarious or clever, I just made this quickly. The fun is in the game.

You may request hints if you'd like but give it a good shot first.

Ah ha! So there WAS a missing character!

Is this a cipher of your own design, bales?

Are the "<" and ">" at the beginning and end significant?

It is of my own design, but incorporates another system of a language of sorts that you will recognize instantly.

No comment on the <>

If the other system of language is some kind of code or programming language, then it's not my puzzle to solve. =P

11 minutes ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

If the other system of language is some kind of code or programming language, then it's not my puzzle to solve. =P

It's not. =P

The other system is more of the vessel for the puzzle, only knowledge of its existence is required. You can definitely solve this.

Ok, I actually had a feeling I'd figured it out when I was about to go to bed last night, but forgot to actually check it until just now. Solution:

Spoiler

Iamthemilkman

Yes, I enjoyed it. :) Thanks. No, I won't spoil it.

EDIT: It's been a while since I've golfed, so I made a 63 byte decrypter in Perl for the fun of it. It's a bit of a spoiler though:

Spoiler

s/(.)/$1=~m![aeiouy]!?0:1/ge&&print chr oct"0b$_"for<>=~/\w+/g

Nested regular expressions are the best! ;)