Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys, I'm going on a binge of adding western films to my DVD collection and I was wondering what you guys think I should add. Here is what I have so far:

Unforgiven

Tombstone

The Wild Bunch

Rio Bravo

Sergio Leone's "Dollars" Trilogy

Hang 'Em High

Joe Kidd

High Plains Drifter

True Grit (2010/1969)

Silverado

Once Upon A Time In The West

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Young Guns

Django

Open Range

The Magnificent Seven

Quigley Down Under

3:10 To Yuma

Edited by Noname215

Young Guns 2

The Quick and the Dead

Lonesome Dove

Shakiest Gun in the West (Don Knotts)

The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap (Abbott & Costello)

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I'm surprised you don't have Bone Tomahawk on there, considering how you like both horror and westerns.

22 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

I'm surprised you don't have Bone Tomahawk on there, considering how you like both horror and westerns.

Been meaning to get that.

18 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

I mean, you have Silverado, everything else is just gravy.

I got all the meat, but I got no potatoes 

I'm hoping that's Django (1966),  nothing against Tarantino but that film is something else. I adore it.

Not a movie, but the three seasons of Deadwood should be a part of all Western collections. 

8 minutes ago, Bidiot Bales said:

I'm hoping that's Django (1966),  nothing against Tarantino but that film is something else. I adore it.

Yeah, it's that one.

I don't remember what movie it was but Lee Van Cleef took in this nice whimpy guy under his thumb trained him how to use a gun and was grooming him to be his 2nd in command has he took over the town.

Three that I definitely have my eyes on are Stagecoach, Hondo, and The Great Silence.

One that I certainly will not get is The Hateful Eight.

Why not? Upset about an antique guitar getting smashed to pieces?

Edited by Alcoremortis

1 hour ago, Alcoremortis said:

Why not? Upset about an antique guitar getting smashed to pieces?

That is part of the reason, I will admit. Broke my heart. But I also just found it to be very slow and they lost me because of the 

blood vomiting, unnecessary narration and the snowy terrain blowjob. None of which I want to see in a western.

However, I do think that Walton Goggins, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Tim Roth gave good performances and Ennio Morricone's score is awesome. Overall, I just didn't care for it. When it comes to western mystery films, I prefer 5 Card Stud.

Having said all that, I still love Django Unchained. Unlike Hateful Eight, I saw it about four times.

Edited by Noname215

No Country For Old Men and Hell Or High Water have neo-western vibes

I haven't actually seen Hateful Eight, actually. Couldn't find anyone to go see it with me or a theater to see it in. 

I go to the movies alone now, because I realized that I actually like watching terrible movies in theaters, but I can't ask my friends to pay money to go see the shit I enjoy ripping apart. But this is a recent development on my part because there was recently an upsurge in bad movies I wanted to see.

The Hateful Eight used unused soundtrack pieces from John Carpenter's the Thing plus the original score. As far as the content, if they ever made a Blood Meridian movie, which is probably the quintessential written western, you'd be seeing worse than that.

Watch The Big Gundown by Sergio Sollima. Has one of Morricone's greatest scores.

Cowboys vs Aliens sucks. I don't like how it looks at all, and the set pieces aren't fun.

Also, NoName, you forgot Leone's most interesting western: Duck, You Sucker. It's basically a Carol Reed noir mixed with a very political poor vs. the rich revolution in the west tale. It and Once Upon a Time in America have Leone's most interesting visual and storytelling flourishes and marks his move into a completely new style of filmmaking that probably would have been even more noticeable if he'd not died.

A fun western I recommend is Duel at Diablo with James Garner and Sidney Poitier. Also Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter with James Garner and Jack Elam.

Edited by Secret Fawful

One of my favorite westerns is Hondo, mostly because of how it drew me in immediately with the opening theme. And on the subject of Blood Meridian, I've grown tired of trying to get into some of Cormac McCarthy's works simply because of the lack of quotation marks. I find it very annoying. As for Duck You Sucker, I knew it as A Fistful Of Dynamite before that title came to my attention.

What do you guys think of the look of The Magnificent Seven or In A Valley Of Violence? 

Edited by Noname215

Red Dead 3 should have a mixture of wide open plains/Monument Valley type terrain mixed with Django Unchained type down south towns and landscape. 

I've been trying to write a western for quite a while that has a heavy injection of themes from heist movies and film noir but is still very much a western. 

I just got back from The Magnificent Seven. Double points for using Bernstein's theme.

Something about Fuqua's Magnificent Seven:

Spoiler

I was thinking during the church scene that they were going to pull a move like in The Patriot and Bartholomew Bogue separates the fighters from the submitters and tricks the submitters out of the church, and once out they lock the doors and THEN burn  the church. Would have set him up as a real bastard.

Also, Chris Pratt's dynamite death was sad but so damn glorious.

Just saw In A Valley Of Violence. Ethan Hawke and John Travolta did great under Ti West.