Sign in to follow this  
Feddlefew

What should I look for in an apartment?

Long story short, I'm moving out to go to finish my four year degree in the coming months and taking my younger brother (19) and our cats with me. We live in upstate NY and are just moving a few hours away, and we may or may not be joined by our mom. Any advice for apartment hunting from people who've done it before?

Read lots of reviews. If at all possible talk to some of the residents. Ask them about any issues they've had, how management/maintenance is, and how noise levels are. Check the grounds out and see if they're in good shape or poorly taken care of. Take note of your interactions with the front office people and if possible how they interact with residents that come in as you'll be dealing with these people however long you live there. Good luck. Apartment hunting is daunting.

Remember you'll be carrying things up stairs so either go for a lower apartment, hope for an elevator, or be happy that you won't have to spend money on a gym membership anymore.

Also test the shower. A good shower can make or break a place imo.

--I agree with walking around the complex and looking carefully at the maintenance of the place. It doesn't have to be a paradise, but just check for things like cigarette butts on the floor, trash left out, stains, broken things, etc.

--Listen to the place as you walk around. What is the sound like? Is it next to a busy highway so you'll have to listen to trucks driving by all night? Is there a playground nearby with a bunch of children screaming? Different apartments are built to different standards, so walls are thinner in some complexes than others. Can you hear the people in their apartments yelling on the phone or playing their sh**y music? This one is harder to gauge from a single visit, but it is not unimportant.

--Location: what's nearby? Is it near a grocery/convenience store? EXCELLENT. Is it near a halfway house with a bunch of druggies and zombies stumbling around outside? Less excellent.

--Do the windows open (without falling out of the frame)? Do they have screens?

--Test the knobs on sinks and shower (and make sure the water is a color that is appropriate for water).

--Test the lights. Do they turn on okay or do they flicker and crap?

--Wall outlets: how old do they look? Any signs of blackness anywhere around them? Do they look okay or do they look like they are kinda falling out of the wall and anything you plugged into them would just fall out, etc?

--Open cabinets and look in the very back of them. Look okay? Nothing rotting back there? No signs of roaches/mice/etc past, present, or future?

--Look under sinks. Any signs of water damage under there?

--Look for signs of rust / calcium buildup around drains / handles / faucets (could be signs of bad plumbing or hard water etc).

--What is kitchen storage space like? Nothing sucks like moving into a new place and realizing you have all these pots and pans and nowhere to hide them.

--Open the refrigerator. Does the light come on? Does it look like a place you would feel okay putting food?

--IS THERE A GARBAGE DISPOSAL?! <--Technically a convenience/luxury, but I consider this absolutely essential. I've also been told by my canadian friends that in the magical land of Canada, this thing is called a "garberator" which makes me laaaaaugh and laugh.

--I feel the same way about there being a dishwasher. Do people still hand wash dishes? Why would you ever?! No way. Not in my life.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

get on your knees and smell the carpet  

for real

if you detect any smellz, even faint smellz, be aware that those smellz will only get stronger as whatever deodorant stuff they've used begins to wear off. you do not want to sign a lease and then have the place start smelling like cat pee after a week, trust me 

Edited by hot

4 minutes ago, hot said:

you do not want to sign a lease and then have the place start smelling like cat pee after a week, trust me 

speak for yourself!

24 minutes ago, Coolsome said:

Always look inside before you buy an apartment. 

That guy is me. I'm sitting in my boxers in front of a computer inside of an igloo of twinkies and unopened mail.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

1 minute ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

That guy is me. I'm sitting in my boxers in front of a computer inside of an igloo of twinkies and unopened mail.

I won't tell anyone how you live.

So my mom is probably going to help with the rent, but now we also have to consider getting a three bedroom apartment, which complicates things.

Always go to see it, never send any money to anyone before you have the keys etc.

There are a million scammers around, at least in these parts! Swines.