• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

SHUT UP GABRIEL GOSH!!!!

So this actually happened and I love it.

gabriel.jpg

I like this because:

What people think the dictionary is / should be:

maxresdefault.jpg

What the dictionary actually is:

ba1ffdd85913269c442f3eeb7c8c20a0908fa41a

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

That discipline picture looks llke a Rule 63ed Severus Snape

29 minutes ago, Jenni said:

That discipline picture looks llke a Rule 63ed Severus Snape

Woah! You almost turned me gay for a second there. ALMOST.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

In This Rule 63 Universe, Snape is obviously benefitting from the miracle that is shampoo.

Also, more authorities on language should put pedants in their place. Those who turn academic interest and discussion into a set of draconian rules. Less of that nonsense.

The problem is that a lot of people think they are one of these for a lot of different reasons. Unfortunately, even people who publish very famous and popular books. Don't even get me started on Lynn Truss. T_T

Dan Dennett once pointed out in a lecture of his I watched that there are certain kinds of things that most people feel intuitively that they have a pretty good handle on just because they are experiencing it all the time. He was mostly interested in talking about consciousness. Everyone experiences being conscious so they feel intuitively that they understand consciousness pretty well and "know it when they see it" etc. (He likes to ask: "Is an alarm clock conscious? How do you know?" And then destroys your reasoning Socrates style.) This is true of language as well. People use it all the time, and think it in their heads all the time. They are constantly using language both spoken and written, so they feel intuitively that they have a pretty good handle on the nature of it, if not the rules of it. Not necessarily the grammatical rules (though the pedants and grammar police feel pretty good about those) but a lot of people have intuitive beliefs like "using 'good grammar' is important or else communication would break down" or independently arrive at other beliefs that seem logical and so they just assume they are true, such as the idea that television/radio/movies/podcasts can have an effect on listener's accents. (They don't.)

Speaking of people feeling intuitively that they have a pretty good handle on the nature of language... famous author Tom Wolfe recently published a book where he argues (miserably unsuccessfully) that evolution is false and that Chomsky (the father of linguistics) didn't know what he was talking about. He then goes on to completely ignore the entire field of linguistics and all of the linguistics research that has ever been done and says, nah to hell with all that stuff! I know how language came to exist based entirely on what feels true in my gut! People invented it because they needed a MNEMONIC DEVICE.

This is the stupidest thing ever in.... like... almost infinite ways. It is such a dumb thing to say. Just. Wow.

Anyway. I'm bloviating again.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity