• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Jenni

The Vaporware and Cancelled Games Thread

Update: On the 25th of August in 2017, Marc Laidlaw posted his story outline for "Epistle 3". It's actually for Half Life 2: Episode Three, but it uses alternate character names in an attempt to not violate any Valve copyrights, but  Jackathan corrected it over on Github if you want to read it without trying to figure out which name corresponds to which character.

It's really awesome that Mr. Laidlaw put this out for everyone. I haven't yet played through Episode 1 and 2, but they've moved up a bit in my play queue, since at least there's some form of episode three out there now.

393A9A8060D427E3833CCAD3C4D6B1BDB71477E8

And the name is about all that's known about that one (originally I posted a logo for Half-Life 3, but that's not actually vaporware since it was never announced).

Well, that and some concept art that was released through an anonymous source, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Still sad over that one.

33 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

In the words of reddit: Top-Tier Shit Post

Nah, it's intended for actual discussion.  Hot's thread just made me think of it when I read the topic, and I thought it would be a fun play on words to get the thread started. It would have made less sense to post about vaporware there. :P

Somehow I missed the announcement of that Dirty Harry game.  It really is a shame it got cancelled, as it looks like it would have been good.

7 hours ago, Bad Asp said:

Freelance Police, you say?

I'm going to be visiting this thread often!

I'm actually sad about both cancelled Sam & Max games.  Sam & Max: Plunge Through Space looks like it would have been fun too.  

full20040722075425.jpg

But, like Half Life 2: Episode 3, all we have on that is some concept art (except this is from Steve Purcell himself, so it's verified to be legitimate):

http://mixnmojo.com/media/galleries/Sam-and-Max-Plunge-Through-Space-Concept-Art

This actually seems like a concept that would work well with a blend of Telltale's current gameplay and their older gameplay (akin to something like the new King's Quest).  Steve Purcell stated it was a combination action/exploration/adventure title.  A blend of the direct controlled combat from Minecraft: Story Mode, the adventure elements from the three seasons of Sam & Max, and the cinematic presentation seen in Tales from the Borderlands onward could actually make for a pretty awesome game.

Duke Nukem Forever (2001 edition). This is the DNF game we should have gotten.

On the other hand, here's a cool mod for EDuke32 (Duke3D source port) that attempts to replicate some of the scenes and makes a decent game out of it. The second level I especially like as it's one long motorbike rid through a giant city level. Highly suggest checking it out. It's more satisfying than DNF 2011.

Duke Nukem Forever 2013 MOD:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-forever

Fan projects are probably the only way we're going to get most of these, sadly.  But, yeah - the original Duke Nukem Forever trailer looked awesome.  

It's too bad that they ended up scrapping the original idea and starting fresh.  Sometimes games that have gone through development hell turn out great (like Prey), but usually they don't.

This is another game I'm really sad never saw the light of day.  I hate the title, but I loved L.A. Noire, and I liked how they were going to do a story rooted in history like that game.  1940's Shanghai definitely seems like it's ripe for video game storytelling.

784f06956db918c20c04e0915a9b37de_Tljh_fa

Many possible reasons for cancelling this, but none definite. The rights situation on the one hand, the health situation of the main voice actress on the other. But it was announced as a 2D puzzle driven adventure game, much like the original Longest Journey, and it all breaks my heart. :(

Edited by Vainamoinen
I hate the new website, I searched for a picture insert button for five minutes, and editing is super clumsy because we can't get to the source code

Reading this thread got me thinking of "Star Wars 1313", I hadn't followed it much when it was announced, but I just watched some trailers, and it looked really good. Apparently, there are some rumors it might be resurrected in some form, but there's nothing certain yet.

I keep hearing the rumours proven false and that the new games coming out are entirely original.

It's a shame that Lucas forced the game to change from its original idea to being something about Boba Fett. The developers didn't like that too much and two of them got fired for it when they tried to argue the point. Yet another reason to be happy that Lucas is gone.

1 hour ago, Jenni said:

Fan projects are probably the only way we're going to get most of these, sadly.  But, yeah - the original Duke Nukem Forever trailer looked awesome.  

It's too bad that they ended up scrapping the original idea and starting fresh.  Sometimes games that have gone through development hell turn out great (like Prey), but usually they don't.

This is another game I'm really sad never saw the light of day.  I hate the title, but I loved L.A. Noire, and I liked how they were going to do a story rooted in history like that game.  1940's Shanghai definitely seems like it's ripe for video game storytelling.

Did it actually get cancelled? Because all I know is that it went dark.

Prey 2 also went dark.

Speaking of which, Prey 2. This was the biggest tragedy I've ever seen thus far.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

9 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Did it actually get cancelled? Because all I know is that it went dark.

It didn't get cancelled officially, but the game's producer stated in an interview back in June, that they faught for it until the bitter end, but that he has moved on and that he doubts it will ever come out.

Speaking of promising games with bad titles: Fester Mudd Episode 2: Injun Trouble.  I really liked the first one, and it had a lot of the Josh Mandel humor in it (I'm always up for more games written or co-written by Josh Mandel).  All the trouble surrounding Replay Games pretty much guaranteed that Prank Entertainment wouldn't get the funding to finish this series.

festermudd2.png

The Creatures series of artificial life simulation games has been in limbo for years. A constant cycle of new studios picking up the rights ("It's a virtual pet sim! we can make tones of money if we monetize it!"), looking under the hood ("oh golly gee this is complected") and abandoning the project ("We don't have the technical skills/resources to make this game!").

Edit: I've wanted to make a spiritual successor for a long, long time, but the programing challenges would be a nightmare.

Edited by Feddlefew

I don't have a PlayStation 4, but I got the demo through my PSN account.  Hopefully the method to re-download the playable teaser using your computer as a proxy server will still be possible once I get one.

If Phil Fish wasn't such a touchy overdramatic whiny brat, didn't sell his company in a fit of rage and abandon the video game industry because he doesn't like gamers, we might have seen it. It's too bad because he's got an incredible mind for games. At least the first Fez came out (which was a feat in itself) and I am eternally glad for that. I respect what he did (and what he still could do), but I can't stand the guy. And yes I watched Indie Game The Movie and felt for him during all that nonsense. Doesn't change the fact that that guy has issues with dealing with other people.

I've been playing Rare Replay, as I just got an Xbox One, and have been enjoying it a lot.  I'm actually liking the Xbox 360 titles the most, strangely enough, since they're the ones that are usually detested by fans (but I think they probably get their reputation out of anger for Microsoft buying the studio from Nintendo and not releasing sequels to most of Rare's N64 games rather than due to the quality of the games themselves).

I really like the concept of the achievements unlocking features in the game (all achievements should do this, in my opinion, as they make them worth doing rather than just give you ultimately useless points on a gamercard).  I'm bummed that all of the games that were shown in the unseen videos were scrapped, but I'm really disappointed in Kameo 2 in particular.  I'm half-way through Kameo now, and I really like the idea of the elemental spirits, and the mythical feel of the game.  Kameo 2 was going to go darker with that theme, including Kameo herself - and she was going to be able to tap into elemental spirits that harbored dark magic.  That really sounds like it could have been amazing, and the concept art they showed is really awesome (I really like the idea of darker versions of characters we've already met).  It's really a shame that Microsoft didn't give this one the green light.

I'm still waiting around for Beyond Good and Evil 2. Every now and then something pops up, but never anything definitive about when/if we'll ever see it :(

well, they did just confirm they were working on it

I guess the forum embeds the link, huh

Just found out that John Romero posted a Commander Keen 7 tech demo video. This would have been the first episode of the third Commander Keen trilogy, The Universe is Toast.

I loved Commander Keen as a kid. I really, really wish that they'd license the property out to Tom Hall to make a new game. I haven't played the Game Boy Color game, but from most reviews it doesn't seem like it was very good, and Tom Hall wasn't involved. But, even with that, it's been seventeen years since a new Commander Keen game. It's high time to bring Billy Blaze back!