Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spaff

Psychonauts 2 Update #2 - Putting the Fun of the Mental into the Fundamentals

31 posts in this topic

We've just posted a meaty Psychonauts 2 update on fig.co

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2?update=188#updates

Alongside the news that we can now collect on ivnestments, and that investments are open again, there are three 2 Player Production videos:  one mini documentary about the launch, one profile on @DFGeoff and also a walkthrough of our art test -- spoiler, we made Whispering Rock in unreal and it looks amazing! 

Next Double Fine Action Show!, can we have a longer look at that Summer Camp environment, like how we got a more thorough look around the Rhombus of Ruin jet interior? It looked like a dream, but the look we got was so brief! I understand if you don't want to release a standalone playthrough video like with the Rhombus of Ruin demo, so as not to confuse people into thinking that it's gonna be part of the Psychonauts 2 game, but I think putting it in DFAS! will give it enough context not to cause confusion.

Hi Def whispering rock! It looks so good I just want to lick the screen. That would be weird, though, right? Ha ha ha of course I would never lick... those... succulent.... polygons... mmm.... animations....

Woah hello! Sorry. Lost my train of thought for a second there.

Just one question: those couple of new powers Zak was demo-ing in the video. Those are just concept/prototype/experiment things, right? No powers officially confirmed / set-in-stone?

I thought the new powers were awesome, by the way. Just asking! I especially like the throwing knives. Just the knives alone may not have worked, but making him juggle them totally sells it. I love it!

Now THIS is a summer camp I want to send my children to!

If I got married and had kids, that is.

Anyway, the actual game locations are going to look so awesome!

Edited by Bad Asp

Man, that Art Test footage looked amazing! I'm so glad to finally see more of this game. The Levitation Ball Animation video is also really interesting and I suggest people watch it. There's so much work that goes into simply having Raz bouncing around. :) 

Is the Unreal Whispering Rock going to be in P2, or is it just an art test? If the latter, will/could it be made into a P2 demo?

They've had an art jam, they've got the story of the game worked out, they're narrowing down what mental worlds they'll go for, I wonder how long before they have the brainstorming session with those who backed for it.

Edited by EMarley

1 hour ago, nmalinoski said:

Is the Unreal Whispering Rock going to be in P2, or is it just an art test? If the latter, will/could it be made into a P2 demo?

They mention in the video that it's only planned to be a test to get a feel for the art direction of Psychonauts 2. It would be nice to have it as a secret playground in P2, but I wouldn't count on it. Tim has made it very clear that he wants Psychonauts 2 to move forward without relying on too much direct nostalgia/reference from the original (creatively speaking). 

Edited by Milk Man on Head

1 hour ago, Milk Man on Head said:

They mention in the video that it's only planned to be a test to get a feel for the art direction of Psychonauts 2. It would be nice to have it as a secret playground in P2, but I wouldn't count on it. Tim has made it very clear that he wants Psychonauts 2 to move forward without relying on too much direct nostalgia/reference from the original (creatively speaking). 

I can agree with that, however, if they're already putting a ton of effort into Whispering Rock, put in a little more effort to make it a demo of sorts for people to test how the game will run on their systems, and maybe have a little fun without spoiling anything from the full game (a la the Stanley Parable Demonstration).

It's one thing to create demo-/dev-only levels for testing mechanics, but clearly they've put enough effort into the Whispering Rock reimplementation to make it passable as a finalized level; I think it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

I don't have anything intelligent to add right now because I am overwhelmed with FEELINGS, but I just want to say that everything about this is amazing and I am so, so happy.  

14 hours ago, Milk Man on Head said:

It might be cool if they just added it in as a secret or easter egg of some kind. Or added it as an unlockable on the main menu like some games/devs allow you to unlock concept art and character models and stuff as you play. Some games even let you unlock test/debug rooms. I remember playing around in the test/debug room of one of the Ratchet & Clank games.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

On 10/6/2016 at 0:20 PM, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Just one question: those couple of new powers Zak was demo-ing in the video. Those are just concept/prototype/experiment things, right? No powers officially confirmed / set-in-stone?

Yeah they are just playing about with things at the moment! 

I've always thought the original game's visuals have held up surprisingly well, but it's great seeing just how much can be done with the updated graphics. So much atmosphere and detail without losing that old style. Bittersweet seeing Hi Def Whispering Rock and knowing we won't be playing through it though. (Quick glimpse of it during a flashback, and/or dream sequence maybe? No? Ah well.) Nostalgic,  but looking to the future.

Love the little updates to Raz's moveset. One of my biggest nitpicks about combat in the first game was that Raz had to stop moving to use several of his powers, so it's nice to see that the pacing of the action will be seeing an overhaul.

Liking the ideas behind the new powers and acrobatics, though I may miss the old animations for floating and rolling with the levitation ball. Having Raz move hands-on-hips to balance on the sphere looks more distinctive than the old run, but I feel it'd look a bit too casual when sprinting at full force. I'm nitpicking though, I'd probably get used to it. Though nothing is set in stone yet I suppose.

All in all, great update. Glad that things worked out with SEC approval, and that there are still documentary videos to look forward to. Best wishes to the team, and kudos to everyone from The Molasses Flood. 

Edited by Mikejames

Just got around to watch the Behind the Launch episode. Really good stuff, and it was a bit nostalgic to watch another documentary episode again with Lifeformed soundtrack in it. :)

Great update, really appreciated this as a backer of the game, and what's being shown makes me feel very confident in the project. 

*pushes Psychonauts 2 and Yooka-Laylee together*

NOW KISS

After Full Throttle the remaster team should do Psychonauts. :razhead:

Would be good marketing for #2. ;)

On 10/11/2016 at 6:02 PM, Bidiot Bales said:

After Full Throttle the remaster team should do Psychonauts. :razhead:

Would be good marketing for #2. ;)

I would not be opposed to seeing how an updated Black Velvetopia would look.

On 10/16/2016 at 1:29 PM, Mikejames said:

I would not be opposed to seeing how an updated Black Velvetopia would look.

I would not be opposed to seeing how the entire thing would look updated! :D

I would not be opposed to distilling Psychonauts into a liquid solution of concentrated psychonauts, which I will then submerge my entire body into, like a Daredevil bed, and soak.

15 hours ago, Nasubionna said:

I would not be opposed to seeing how the entire thing would look updated! :D

I would not be opposed to any of this. Unfortunately they'd probably have to have a whole other crowdfunding campaign for that owing to how much it would cost. It'd basically be making the game all over again.

2 hours ago, josiahstick said:

I would not be opposed to any of this. Unfortunately they'd probably have to have a whole other crowdfunding campaign for that owing to how much it would cost. It'd basically be making the game all over again.

Oh yes, I know.  Believe you me, I am MORE THAN THRILLED that we're getting Rhombus of Ruin AND Psychonauts 2!!!  But a girl can still dream about more, can't she?  :P