MrBushido

PS4 exclusive?

17 posts in this topic

The folks at r/Vive on reddit are getting a little excited about how a number of the PSVR launch titles are listed as "Play it first on Playstation" rather than truly exclusive like has been implied in the lead up to release. However, the entry for Psychonauts has no mention of any exclusivity at all. Is anybody in the know at Double fine able to confirm whether it's "Play it first on playstation" or a full exclusive?

As a Psychonauts/Double Fine fan, Psychonauts 2 backer, and a Vive owner. It would be fantastic news if there's hope of it reaching the Vive eventually!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game is published and funded by PlayStation and so definitley is an exclusive. But then so are the LucasArts remasters that we've been doing and those have pc versions too. 

If there's any chance for us to bring Rhombus of Ruin to more people then we'll definitley try our best to do that, but we can't make any promises there I'm afraid!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you guys are aware, but this news breaks this fan's heart.

I invested in an HTC Vive not only because I believed it to be the best VR experience on the market, but because it is also the most open platform.

Clearly this is a financial choice (I kind of wish sometimes that Double Fine was able to operate out of a basement instead of San Francisco and pay their developers peanuts -- no offense), but as someone who is also a Psychonauts fan who won't buy into the PSVR for financial reasons (as well as closed platform reasons), I am very concerned that I will be cut off from the amazing creative output of Double Fine's future titles ultimately due to payments for platform rights.

Hopefully Double Fine will somehow find a way to communicate something to assuage the fears of fans like me. Right now it seems like I have a valid concern.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a Vive or PSVR but I am interested in them. However I can't say that I am "upset" that I can't play the game.  It would be neat to see all DoubleFine's games on all platforms, but I think we as fans also need to understand the logistical and monetary issues involved with creating games.

I don't think there is any need for fear or concern about all their content being exclusive to certain platforms at this point. This is just one game. And a bit of a special case at that, considering it is a VR game being released in the early days of VR. Looking at Doublefine's past output they generally try to get their games out on multiple platforms when possible.

We don't know the specifics of how Rhombus of Ruin even came to be - It might be a case where the game might not have ever even been developed without Sony's assistance. Wasn't that the case with Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U? I know folks were kind upset that Bayonetta 2 ending up being an exclusive on a Nintendo system, but my understanding is that if Nintendo didn't put down the capital to make the game it never would have been made at all. In my mind I'd rather something cool like this get the chance to be made and end up being exclusive rather then never being made at all.

This game will help to:

-Introduce more folks to the P-nauts franchise and get the brand name out there being a PSVR game when there aren't many.

-Maybe help improve some relations with companies like Sony.

-And also help introduce the Doublefine team to developing in VR.

Which are all positives as going forward this will undoubtedly benefit us - the fans.

So yea, even though I can't currently play the game like some other fans might not be able to, other people will. And it will help Doublefine and Psychonauts. So I say look at the bright side of the situation here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dangeROSS said:

I don't have a Vive or PSVR but I am interested in them. However I can't say that I am "upset" that I can't play the game.  It would be neat to see all DoubleFine's games on all platforms, but I think we as fans also need to understand the logistical and monetary issues involved with creating games.

I don't think there is any need for fear or concern about all their content being exclusive to certain platforms at this point. This is just one game. And a bit of a special case at that, considering it is a VR game being released in the early days of VR. Looking at Doublefine's past output they generally try to get their games out on multiple platforms when possible.

We don't know the specifics of how Rhombus of Ruin even came to be - It might be a case where the game might not have ever even been developed without Sony's assistance. Wasn't that the case with Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U? I know folks were kind upset that Bayonetta 2 ending up being an exclusive on a Nintendo system, but my understanding is that if Nintendo didn't put down the capital to make the game it never would have been made at all. In my mind I'd rather something cool like this get the chance to be made and end up being exclusive rather then never being made at all.

This game will help to:

-Introduce more folks to the P-nauts franchise and get the brand name out there being a PSVR game when there aren't many.

-Maybe help improve some relations with companies like Sony.

-And also help introduce the Doublefine team to developing in VR.

Which are all positives as going forward this will undoubtedly benefit us - the fans.

So yea, even though I can't currently play the game like some other fans might not be able to, other people will. And it will help Doublefine and Psychonauts. So I say look at the bright side of the situation here. 

Thank you for making this post.  I recognize that it's frustrating and disappointing for many big-time Psychonauts fans to be unable to play this game, but I'm with you: on the whole, this game existing at all is a positive thing!  From my understanding, it sounds like Sony went to many game developers - including Double Fine - to have games made for particularly for their VR system.  Double Fine chose Psychonauts, and Sony went along with that (and paid for it).  So yeah, it seems safe to say that without Sony, Rhombus of Ruin would have never been made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also want to express the sadness a bunch of us PC gamers feel. Hopefully this winds up being brought to the PC supporting Vive/Oculus Rift as well. Makes me wish there had been a Kickstarter instead because I am sure the support would have been there (We VR enthusiasts love getting new content).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to say that I am very disappointed.
Exclusives are a bad, bad thing for everyone; be it timed exclusive or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have hope that this will end up on PC. Superhypercube was also a PSVR exclusive and yesterday Polytron published this tweet, implying it's coming to the Vive. Now, I don't have or plan on getting a VR headset any time soon, but PitRoR really looks like it could be played with mouse and keyboard, as a point and click...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to be contrarian, but exclusives are not bad for everyone. They are good for the platform owner because more units of that platform will be sold if it has exclusives. If people can just buy everything on PC, then fewer people will buy consoles. It is the right of the platform owner to have content exclusive to their platform. Nintendo does this with their intellectual property (Mario, Zelda, etc) and Sony does it with their own in-house published IPs. This is also good for consumers in a more abstract/qualitative way. If you buy a certain console and the only games that end up being available on it are games you could have gotten somewhere else, then it feels a little more like a waste of money. If there are more games on that console that you could not get anywhere else, it feels more like a good investment.

When it comes to third parties, things get a little more complicated. In a lot of cases, third parties just want to sell their game to as many people as possible, so they try to get it onto as many platforms as possible. Double Fine is a third party developer and always tries to do this as much as possible. Brutal Legend and Psychonauts were both originally trapped on consoles because the publisher still held the rights to them. But as soon as DF got the rights back, they released them on PC as soon as they could. But there are other more unique situations. For example, Microsoft cut a special deal with DF to create a couple of games specifically for the kinect. Those games were published by microsoft, for microsoft's platform, for the purpose of attracting people to microsoft's platform and the kinect, and DF agreed to help them with that. They turned out to be some of the better games on the kinect, but that is the only place you can play them.

We are looking at a similar situation here (as far as I understand). Sony has a deal with DF where DF is making a game specifically for PSVR as a PSVR exclusive for the purpose of attracting more people to PSVR. Sony is not in the wrong for doing that and it makes economic sense for them to do it. From DF's point of view it makes economic sense because it's another funded project. It's good for PSVR owners, because it feels like a good investment to have games on the platform they invested in that are only available on that platform. It could turn out that, sometime down the road, RoR ends up on other VR platforms the same way that Brutal Legend and Psychonauts eventually escaped consoles and made the jump to PC. But if it turns out to be a PSVR exclusive forever, then neither DF nor Sony have done anything wrong by having that deal.

The only people exclusives are bad for are people who don't own or want (or can't afford) the platform. Which might be disappointing, but it doesn't mean DF/Sony are to blame for the existence of competition in the marketplace.

Edited by Anemone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anemone said:

I'm sorry to be contrarian, but exclusives are not bad for everyone. They are good for the platform owner because more units of that platform will be sold if it has exclusives. If people can just buy everything on PC, then fewer people will buy consoles. It is the right of the platform owner to have content exclusive to their platform. Nintendo does this with their intellectual property (Mario, Zelda, etc) and Sony does it with their own in-house published IPs. This is also good for consumers in a more abstract/qualitative way. If you buy a certain console and the only games that end up being available on it are games you could have gotten somewhere else, then it feels a little more like a waste of money. If there are more games on that console that you could not get anywhere else, it feels more like a good investment.

When it comes to third parties, things get a little more complicated. In a lot of cases, third parties just want to sell their game to as many people as possible, so they try to get it onto as many platforms as possible. Double Fine is a third party developer and always tries to do this as much as possible. Brutal Legend and Psychonauts were both originally trapped on consoles because the publisher still held the rights to them. But as soon as DF got the rights back, they released them on PC as soon as they could. But there are other more unique situations. For example, Microsoft cut a special deal with DF to create a couple of games specifically for the kinect. Those games were published by microsoft, for microsoft's platform, for the purpose of attracting people to microsoft's platform and the kinect, and DF agreed to help them with that. They turned out to be some of the better games on the kinect, but that is the only place you can play them.

We are looking at a similar situation here (as far as I understand). Sony has a deal with DF where DF is making a game specifically for PSVR as a PSVR exclusive for the purpose of attracting more people to PSVR. Sony is not in the wrong for doing that and it makes economic sense for them to do it. From DF's point of view it makes economic sense because it's another funded project. It's good for PSVR owners, because it feels like a good investment to have games on the platform they invested in that are only available on that platform. It could turn out that, sometime down the road, RoR ends up on other VR platforms the same way that Brutal Legend and Psychonauts eventually escaped consoles and made the jump to PC. But if it turns out to be a PSVR exclusive forever, then neither DF nor Sony have done anything wrong by having that deal.

The only people exclusives are bad for are people who don't own or want (or can't afford) the platform. Which might be disappointing, but it doesn't mean DF/Sony are to blame for the existence of competition in the marketplace.

*applauds*  Thank you for another excellent post regarding this.  Business is business, and everyone involved in making games is trying to pay their bills.  I'm bummed out by how much people are complaining about the PSVR exclusivity of Rhombus of Ruin rather than being super pumped that A.) we're getting it at all and B.) we're ALSO getting Psychonauts 2 in the near future, no doubt on more accessible platforms for more players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be able to play it because I don't plan to buy a PSVR. At least not any time soon. Too expensive and not enough value in it for me. I'd like to experience it as much as the next die-hard Psychonauts fan, but I can't say that I'm *bitter* about it. I'll just watch a Let's Play or something if I have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Anemone said:

I won't be able to play it because I don't plan to buy a PSVR. At least not any time soon. Too expensive and not enough value in it for me. I'd like to experience it as much as the next die-hard Psychonauts fan, but I can't say that I'm *bitter* about it. I'll just watch a Let's Play or something if I have to.

Totally.  God bless the Let's Plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2017 at 10:05 PM, Anemone said:

I won't be able to play it because I don't plan to buy a PSVR. At least not any time soon. Too expensive and not enough value in it for me. I'd like to experience it as much as the next die-hard Psychonauts fan, but I can't say that I'm *bitter* about it. I'll just watch a Let's Play or something if I have to.

I won't be able to play it because I can't seem to find any PSVRs in stock. I assume Sony is producing so few of them that they always seem to sell out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I'd put it, is that exclusives are less than ideal. Ideally, I'd be able to play something on any platform that basically fits the hardware/controller requirements, and I mean that with everything. I'd much prefer a world in which I could just choose to play Mario on my Playstation or PC or whatever it happens to be. 

I'd very much prefer it if the only hardware decisions I had to make were 'do I like the user interface, online features and subscription package, and the design of the controllers?'

Any situation where I can't play a game because I didn't buy the right thing is less than ideal.

But, given that we live in a world where exclusives exist, they do have a side benefit, which is that they provide an opportunity to platform owners to fund projects that might not otherwise happen, and that's where we are now.

Fortunately, I did decide to pick up a PSVR, and so I'll be playing this one soon. Everyone else - it's too bad you won't get to play it, but I'm sure that there'll be youtube playthroughs and things so you'll at least get to experience it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I totally agree that it would be rad if I could play Mario on whatever I wanted, just as it would be rad if I could watch any movie/show on whatever I wanted. But we live in a world where there are some shows produced by Netflix that you can only watch on Netflix. Is it maximally convenient for every person? No. But is it fair? Sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Anemone said:

Oh I totally agree that it would be rad if I could play Mario on whatever I wanted, just as it would be rad if I could watch any movie/show on whatever I wanted. But we live in a world where there are some shows produced by Netflix that you can only watch on Netflix. Is it maximally convenient for every person? No. But is it fair? Sure.

Netflix may not be the best example. While you can only (legally) stream Netflix-produced shows on Netflix, the barrier to entry is very, very low. About $10 gets you access to the service, and Netflix has made their service very available; you can pretty much use whatever device you please, be it a web browser, a game console, a mobile phone, a smart TV, a dedicated streaming device, or something else, at no cost beyond the subscription--or, if you don't want to pay for the subscription, certain Netflix shows do make it to DVD and/or Blu-ray.

To me, Netflix would only be an apt comparison if Sony had allowed Double Fine to make RoR available on whatever popular VR platforms are available--PSVR, Oculus, Steam VR, and perhaps even Hololens. Sure, Sony is bankrolling the game, like Netflix with its shows; but, instead of making the game maximally available, they're limiting it to their hardware, the PS4, and it requires the PSVR, which might as well be unobtanium right now. The Rift and Vive might be prohibitively expensive, but I can at least find them for sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nmalinoski said:

To me, Netflix would only be an apt comparison if Sony had allowed Double Fine to make RoR available on whatever popular VR platforms are available--PSVR, Oculus, Steam VR, and perhaps even Hololens. Sure, Sony is bankrolling the game, like Netflix with its shows; but, instead of making the game maximally available, they're limiting it to their hardware, the PS4, and it requires the PSVR, which might as well be unobtanium right now. The Rift and Vive might be prohibitively expensive, but I can at least find them for sale.

You can find one if you look around. Amazon has the Batman VR bundle selling at the retail price of $499 via 3rd party sellers (with the VR, move, camera, and game).  I scooped mine up as soon as I saw it, as it is indeed selling like hotcakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now