Sign in to follow this  
Mobius187

Costume Quest - Cartoon

It was announced a while back (Feb 6 2015) that Frederator was creating a 11-minute cartoon based on Costume Quest. What has be excited is that Zac Gorman (Over the Garden Wall) is writing the script while Pat McHale (Adventure Time, Over the Garden Wall) will be directing. I enjoy Over the Garden Wall as my favorite Halloween animated series, just as much as I enjoy Costume Quest as my favorite Halloween game. Plus, who doesn't love Adventure Time?

The last news posted on Frederator's Facebook page (7 months ago) stated that they had finished calling retakes. There's even a short clip, which has the early glimmers of "interesting" to it.

13495497_1030198507057557_89563395217566

So my question is, when will we be shown the cartoon? And what, if anything, would be needed to convince Frederator to turn this animated short into a full series?

The cartoon was mentioned in the latest interview with Tim Schafer. It's still happening, there is no date for it yet.

17 minutes ago, EMarley said:

The cartoon was mentioned in the latest interview with Tim Schafer. It's still happening, there is no date for it yet.

I naturally assumed it was still moving forward, but I was really hoping for a target date when we might expect the show to be available. Obviously Halloween has just passed and I assumed October would have been the perfect month for it to make an appearance. Ah well.

Also I'm curious whether there is any chance the 11-minute episode might become a full series. I suppose that depends on interest from viewers, and that interest would depend on the plot and characters. The obvious appeal for me when it came to Costume Quest was that the first game perfectly captured the nostalgia of Halloween, so I would want the same to be true of the series... and yet how do you make every episode Halloween? I suppose if they incorporated the time travel aspect from Costume Quest 2, they could turn any day into Halloween by travelling through time to October 31st of any year, past or future.

Finally, an update, but it looks like the cartoon won't arrive until 2018:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170213005593/en/Amazon-Studios-Greenlights-Original-Kids-Series-Pete

Or here's a relevant excerpt:

Based on the smash video game series by Double Fine Productions (Psychonauts, Broken Age) and the world originally created by Tasha SounartCostume Quest is a funny and mysterious animated series aimed at six to 11-year-olds. The show stars four kids facing off against the dark forces lurking in the shadows of their sleepy town of Auburn Pines. To overcome obstacles and achieve their goals, they must learn to unlock and master the magical powers of supernormal costumes—with each costume comes a new set of transformations and powers. The series is executive produced by Will McRobb (The Adventures of Pete & Pete) who also serves as story editor, as well as Frederator Studios’ Fred Seibert (The Fairly OddParents), Kevin Kolde (Adventure Time) and Eric Homan(Adventure Time). Costume Quest is produced at Frederator Studios, a WOW! Unlimited Media company.

Well, while it's not a firm date yet, at least the good news is that Cartoon Quest has been expanded from an "animated short" into a full-fledged series, which will be shown on Amazon. As for when it will be available, here's all I know:

It’s been a journey, but the writers’ room is staffed (that’s another post), and we’re counting down the days till the Costume Quest premiere in 2018.

For the full article, check-out the post on Frederator's blog:

http://frederator-studios.frederator.com/post/157191928552/well-the-bags-out-of-the-catwell-be-producing