Sign in to follow this  
EMarley

What DF games are you nominating for the Steam Awards?

I've just seen this, where you can pick a game from the Steam store to nominate for an award:

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/

The categories are really fun:

The “Test of Time” Award: This award is for the game that is just as good today as the day you first played it. Newer games may come out, but it doesn’t matter… you’ll always come back to play this one.
The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award: Games are fun. But sometimes games become more than that, and touch you in a way you weren’t expecting. This award celebrates the game that blindsided you emotionally. You weren’t expecting to cry. It wasn’t in the plan. But it happened none the less.
The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award: You have an early day tomorrow. You need to get some sleep, so you’re just going finish one more thing before you decide to tuck in for the night. Just one more. Wait, one more. What’s that you say? It’s 2:30 AM? This award is for the game that keeps you playing late.
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award: Some games melt your face. Maybe it was a crazy plot twist. Maybe you just got your wisdom teeth removed. Either way, this game BLOWS YOUR MIND.
The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award: Some people just need a hug.
The “Game Within A Game” Award: Kinder Eggs. Peanut Butter Cups. Jelly Donuts. All great things stuffed with other great things. Like a mighty turducken, this award celebrates the best mini game hidden within another game.
The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award: This title didn’t have a huge marketing machine behind it, but you found it and loved it. Then you told your friends about it. And they loved it. And now that little game that could is about to win an award… but always remember: you totally found it first.
The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award: Animals are rad and almost any game is better for including them. However this game used a farm animal in the best way possible.
The “We Didn’t Think Of Everything” Award: (*name pending Selection Committee Decision) There are as many great ideas for awards as there are great games to play. And so we turn to the Steam Awards Selection Committee to come up with their own category and nominee. Senior members of the Selection Committee will review the write-in entries and create an entirely new category based on the feedback provided.

Off the top of my head there are quite a few DF shoo-ins, the problem is that you can only nominate one category per game! It's a pity, because Psychonauts deserved best use of farm animals as well, but the test of time category will have to do. What else? Definitely Broken Age for whooooaaa, dude and Day of the Tentacle for game within a game. I'll probably nominate other favourites of mine Final Fantasy IX for tearjerker and Monkey Island for the villain. I've gotta give Grim Fandango something as well, perhaps 5 more minutes. And Headlander for before it won an award. Pity I'm not allowed to nominate Double Fine Adventure! for the write-in. You are allowed to change your mind.

Edited by EMarley

Hm... I'm nominating these but I don't know about some of these categories. On one hand, I appreciate them trying to do awards that aren't simply a long list of "best in genre" awards.

On the other hand, a couple of these categories seem like they were created with one specific game in mind. I'm calling it right now:

BEST USE OF A FARM ANIMAL: aka "We think Goat Simulator deserves an award".

BEST GAME WITHIN A GAME: aka "We really liked The Witcher 3" award.

I couldn't think of a nom for all of the categories, but here is what I submitted:

Test of Time - Psychonauts (Prediction: This will go to DOTA, TF2, or another esporty title)

I'm Not Crying - To The Moon

Just 5 More Minutes - Stardew Valley (Prediction: This will go to DOTA, TF2, or another esporty title)

Wooooah Dude - Owlboy (cuz dat pixel art)

Villain - *updated to Brutal Legend*

Game w/in a game - *updated to DOTT*

I Thought This Game Was yadda yadda - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Best Use of a Farm Animal - Tried to nominate Stardew again but I guess you can't nominate a game in more than one category. *updated to Beyond Good & Evil*

Custom Suggestion - "There Is Literally Nothing Else Like It" award. I nominated Grow Home.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

I agree with Anemone that it is nice that they're trying something new, but the categories are a bit too weird for me to take them seriously. As a matter of fact, I probably wouldn't slot in any DF/LucasArts titles into one of these categories, despite several of them making it into my top 10 of favourite games.

I would definitely give the award for 'test of time' to either Thief: The Dark Project or Thief 2, as those are games with an absolutely stellar design that are still very immersive, despite the fact that the graphics have aged quite a bit. Arkane has tried to mimic it with Dishonored, but haven't succeeded at all in my opinion. I would nominate Life is Strange for 'I'm not crying'. It has been a while since a game had such an emotional impact on me.

What I hope they do is really make use of that custom category. From a single user's point of view, it makes it seem like they are just going to do one additional custom category, but it would be nice if they used that custom category field to pull like 10 other nomination categories that were actually interesting and not too genre-specific.

Just to spite the obvious Goat Simulator shoe-in, I nominated Beyond Good & Evil for "best use of a farm animal" ;)

58 minutes ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Just to spite the obvious Goat Simulator shoe-in, I nominated Beyond Good & Evil for "best use of a farm animal"

Oh, good one! I was wondering what to put there. I also think that on second thought I'll switch out the villain one, because I don't really think LeChuck needs a hug, and just have Monkey Island as the write-in award for "IP whose rights need to go back to its creator"

Also, someone on twitter nominated Headlander for best head sucking off action, amazing.

Edited by EMarley

4 minutes ago, EMarley said:

Oh, good one! I was wondering what to put there. I also think that on second thought I'll switch out the villain one, because I don't really think LeChuck needs a hug, and just have Monkey Island as the write-in award for "IP whose rights need to go back to its creator"

Also, someone on twitter nominated Headlander for best head sucking off action, amazing.

I just picked a random game for the villain one because I wanted the steam achievement and couldn't think of one to put there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I ended putting Bioshock Infinite, 'cause LOL. Marek in the wolf costume is kinda huggable, just saying :snake:

Edited by EMarley

7 minutes ago, EMarley said:

I ended putting Bioshock Infinite, 'cause LOL. Marek in the wolf costume is kinda huggable, just saying :snake:

Hmmm.. that's true....

So far, I've selected "MASSIVE CHALICE" for "I thought it was cool...", since I was a backer. For "Game within a game", I didn't have a lot of options for the games I've played, but I rationalized Psychonauts because I LOVE PUNCHING!:coach:

1 hour ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Gave Grim the Test of Time award, and DOTT gets my Game Within a Game vote for including Maniac Mansion :)

Ooh! That's a good idea nominating DOTT for that one! I'm updating my vote! =]

Ooh! I just saw that Brutal Legend is only $1.50! I guess it's time to own it twice!

I also changed my vote to Brutal Legend for "villain who most needs a hug" because why not. xD

Don't think they let people vote that don't have a Steam account, but VETO on the test of time nomination.

Grim Fandango didn't. Always crashed, atrocious tank controls. With Double Fine's Remastered edition, the game is in fact BETTER than it was 20 years ago. :D

Even though a proper inventory wouldn't have hurt.

2 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

Don't think they let people vote that don't have a Steam account, but VETO on the test of time nomination.

Grim Fandango didn't. Always crashed, atrocious tank controls. With Double Fine's Remastered edition, the game is in fact BETTER than it was 20 years ago. :D

Even though a proper inventory wouldn't have hurt.

Tank controls were great imo. Only when played with the numpad.

Just voted and did end up nominating several DF games. This is my list:

The “Test of Time” Award: Thief Gold
The “I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye” Award: Life is Strange: Episode 2
The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award: Broken Age
The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award: Portal 2
The “Game Within A Game” Award: Day of the Tentacle Remastered
The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award: Obduction
The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award: The Wolf Among Us
The “We Didn’t Think Of Everything” Award: Costume Quest 2 for the "Game That Evokes Nostalgia For The Time You Were Young" Award
Edited by honeymaker

My pics, for categories where I nominated DF games. 

• "Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!": Headlander - A very welcome positive suprise. I bought out of loyalty and a hope for it to be good, but I didn't expect it to be as good as it was, considering how difficult it seem to do that genre well. Defend the Rogue Eye is one of my favorite moments of any games. 
  • "I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award": Psychonauts - I remember importing this from USA at the time of the release, because I couldn't actually get hold of it here in Sweden, and I didn't want to pirate it, as I unfortunately did with a lot of other games at that time. 
  • "Test of Time": Haven't decided this yet, but I might nominate Day of the Tentacle here, which isn't orginally a DF game, but the Special Edition reminded me of how well it holds upp. 

Might nominate Brütal Legend for "Villain Most In Need of A Hug", partly because of all the jokes I have made about metal band members and fans to a colleague who's a diehard metal fan. :)

The others: 

• "I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye": Valiant Hearts
  • "Just 5 More Minutes": Spelunky
  • "Game Within A Game": The Witcher III
  • "Best Use Of A Farm Animal": Rock of Ages

And my custom award entry was also...
"Game That Needs A Sequel Most": Half-Life 2: Episode 2

Edited by CecilRousso