Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
johnnytoxic

How did Day of the Tentacle end up selling?

I thought the remaster was great. Glad it is preserved now in a great form PS4 / PC.

I hope the game was profitable? Maybe similar adventure games in the future.

I've never played Full Throttle so I'm looking forward to that one also.

On 2016-12-06 at 7:13 AM, Bidiot Bales said:

I'd guess it went well because they're doing Full Throttle. :) 

I think that one was announced before Day of the Tentacle shipped. 

If you look at the sales figures on Steamspy, it seems like Grim Fandango sold much more, even if you add different bundles to the equation. Grim reached much higher numbers more quickly. 

http://steamspy.com/app/316790

http://steamspy.com/app/388210

That said, It feels encouraging to watch the numbers for DOTT when you look at the numbers over time, where the numbers keep growing even between sales and bundles. 

And this of course just statistics over registered copies on Steam, with PS4/Vita/GOG/DRM Free copies to be added on that. 

It would be very interesting to hear about what was seen as a target for this, and how they feel about the long tail sales, but I doubt that DF would talk about that in too much details publicly. 

Edited by CecilRousso

3 hours ago, Bidiot Bales said:

@CecilRousso how accurate is Steamspy?

It's considered to be very close to the actual numbers, even if it's based on statistical analysis.

It matched the press release from Firaxis when Civ 6 passed a million players, Jonathan Blow confirmed it to be close, although a bit low, during the release week for The Witness, and Soren Johnson from Mohawk Games used it to show that a sales weekend for Offworld Trading Company was a success.  

According to the creator and maintainer of SteamSpy, it's wildly inaccurate for anything below 30k owners, but both of these games sold well above that, so probably pretty accurate. SteamSpy has no way of knowing how those copies were acquired though (or for how much money), so it's not an accurate way to measure how much money those games made. Plus, we don't know how revenue was split between Double Fine, LucasArts/Disney, Valve and Sony (the latter two probably got around 30% each though, if previously reported numbers by other developers are accurate).

I wish they had released it for Android. It's one of the games I've wanted to play the most on a tablet.

At least Thimbleweed Park will be on Android :)

Sign in to follow this