ThunderPeel

Nitpicker's Corner

here goes nothin.
and yeah, i think that counter's shade isn't too right even if it was the same in the original. it should be clear on HD.

and that truck's shade isn't right, is it?

random stuff.png

truck.jpg

Edited by Gosova

When you are messing around with the projector you can put the light level at maximum power, which of course %#$@&!s up the image and makes Ripburger angry. However... with the new graphics, the problem isn't showed at all.

20170419201018_1.jpg

20170419201050_1.jpg

Here's another big problem: as soon as you expose Ripburger at the meeting the music is completely broken! It should stop when Corley's tapes start to sound, and start again when Ripburger begins making up excuses and Maureen goes to the stage. Instead, all the music sounds at the beggining (when the photos of the murder are being showed with the projector) and leaves the rest of the scene completely silent!

The remastered music is activated, I guess the problem is that they didn't think of this and the scene works fine if you are using the original music.

Edit: nope, the problem persist even with the original music activated :(

Edited by Malleys

Sorry for posting so much. There's no credits with the remastered vision. Like, at all. Also I think the music at the funeral is wrong too, since with the remastered mode the camera moves too fast, and therefore is still sounding inside the car with Ben and Mo.

20170419204900_1.jpg

20170419204903_1.jpg

Last one, I swear. The game doesn't show the hotspot for the bike in the remastered mode, you have to move Ben, and then you can use the bike. I guess It's doing this because that part of the background is hidden in the original mode, but it makes no sense in widescreen.

20170419210318_1.jpg

20170419210358_1.jpg

The garbled film issue was an 8-bit palette swapping effect. Since you can't swap palettes in 32-bit colour that's probably why. Though that type of thing is a lot easier to replicate with traditional animation than 8-bit palette cycling, which is the root of most if not all the absent background animation problems.

A tiny request: Would it be possible to sort the tracks in the soundtrack jukebox chronologically instead of alphabetically? Makes much more sense...

3 hours ago, Malleys said:

Sorry for posting so much. There's no credits with the remastered vision.

I saw them, the credits went smooth in my walkthrough.

Anyway, two more problems to throw in. Sorry guys, but they're pretty annoying.

Ben isn't shadowed in the canyon section, when he goes under a rock formation. He is shadowed in the original version. Also, the whole desert / canyon sections are still too bright, IMHO.

no_shadow_on_ben.jpg

The monitor text in the Italian version exceeds screen borders.

text_outside_borders.jpg

Edited by Diduz76

13 hours ago, Malleys said:

Here's another big problem: as soon as you expose Ripburger at the meeting the music is completely broken! It should stop when Corley's tapes start to sound, and start again when Ripburger begins making up excuses and Maureen goes to the stage. Instead, all the music sounds at the beggining (when the photos of the murder are being showed with the projector) and leaves the rest of the scene completely silent!

The remastered music is activated, I guess the problem is that they didn't think of this and the scene works fine if you are using the original music.

Edit: nope, the problem persist even with the original music activated :(

Just for help people see the music problem that I explained, here's the scene of the original game, with the music sounding at the right time, and here's the scene of the remastered game.

Edited by Malleys

Wow, Malleys, that's four huge bugs right there. I feel there should be a "legitimate bug" thread, because all of those would go right in it. 

I mean.... The final puzzle in the game (move the camera left) isn't even a puzzle anymore? Whaaaa...? (Ok, I admit, it was kind of a cheap puzzle, but still.)

1 hour ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Those two links are to the same video.

this is off-topic nitpicking :D

Edited by Gosova

I tried getting into the game's .data file to export a few backgrounds and do a paint-over but no dice. If someone can provide some high-res versions of backgrounds they would like to see fixed, I'll be happy to use them as community examples of my capabilities and areas that I think could be improved.

I don't think Double Fine will let an outsider help since no one has responded to this thread or my emails offering to help. Guess we'll have to see if they reach out or fix the backgrounds internally. Fingers crossed.

Edited by cavefish

1 hour ago, cavefish said:

I don't think Double Fine will let an outsider help since no one has responded to this thread or my emails offering to help.

I'm afraid they cannot let you edit stuff, especially on this project, which is a licensed title. They're working on a Disney/Lucasfilm property on terms they set with the copyright owner. I think it's the same reason why DF wasn't as open as Matt wanted, during the development. Hiring you could probably be simpler!
I agree with you: fingers crossed. :-P

Edited by Diduz76

13 minutes ago, Diduz76 said:

I'm afraid that they cannot let you do it, especially on this project, which is a licensed title. They're working on a Disney/Lucasfilm property on terms they set with the copyright owner. I think it's the same reason why DF wasn't as open as Matt wanted, during the development.
I agree with you: fingers crossed. :-P

I understand, I'm just not sure why working for art credits would be a problem if it were to save both Disney and DF money and resources. and (hopefully) have a better product out of it. You may be right, though; It may be one of the limitations of their terms with Disney.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this Matt scenario you mentioned. What are you referring to?

Edited by cavefish
Nsydexia

39 minutes ago, cavefish said:

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this Matt scenario you mentioned. What are you referring to?

Nothing in particular. Matt Hansen, the executive producer, has always been as open as possible with us on the forums, but he also said that each news they give us must be authorized in some way, so I assume that a fan edit of the material would be even more difficult to handle. ;-)

1 hour ago, Diduz76 said:

Nothing in particular. Matt Hansen, the executive producer, has always been as open as possible with us on the forums, but he also said that each news they give us must be authorized in some way, so I assume that a fan edit of the material would be even more difficult to handle. ;-)

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I'm technically a contractor -- at least that's what I've been on a few commercial games; Only this time I'm willing to volunteer my time to save the studio money. Of course, I'm still a fan and would be lying if I didn't admit I'm offering for selfish reasons to help with one of my all-time favorite games, but if it's an issue of convincing producers to allow an outside source to volunteer, maybe having a portfolio of work would help convince the powers that be if DF were interested in having that discussion.

3 hours ago, Diduz76 said:

Just an FYI for anybody who missed it. Matt left Double Fine earlier this year.

7 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

Just an FYI for anybody who missed it. Matt left Double Fine earlier this year.

Oh man, that sucks...

Edited by Laserschwert

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

Oh man, that sucks...

+1

I really hope that we still got some kind of project lead who's following this through the patching.

And Matt is a great guy, btw.

Edited by Diduz76

On 4/19/2017 at 11:32 AM, Gosova said:

here goes nothin.
and yeah, i think that counter's shade isn't too right even if it was the same in the original. it should be clear on HD.

and that truck's shade isn't right, is it?

random stuff.png

There's another thing that's missing in the remastered. On the bottom picture where Ben is squatting on Ripburger's truck, note the pipe you're supposed to yank out. It's missing the tighten down ring with the screws! The way it looks now, the other pipes look more practical to pull out than the real one.

Edited by Jeyl

9 hours ago, Notsoswift said:

F1 does what to Render Mode?

It switches the render mode between original 90s graphics and the remastered graphics.

Edit: Oh ha ha, there's a typo in there. Well spotted!

Emmet's foot sticks over the shelf in the Kickstand.

The hose falls behind the canister while Ben is stealing fuel from the police (actually a bug from the original).

Another bug from the original is that you can't throw fertiliser into the eyes of the girl with the hat. She's not wearing goggles, so she *should* be affected by it.

The projector's lamp not having an visual effect when it's turned up to High, but Ripburger still stopping his presentation because of it, is very odd.

The number of save slots is annoyingly low, as usual, but at least Full Throttle is so short it doesn't matter this time!

Also, I nearly forgot, but what's with the leading on the opening credit font? (Never mind it's actual design, which I'm also not a fan of. Why change things so drastically?) The space width is insane and looks terrible. There's about three spaces between every word. This should be very easy to fix.

zH1dYyR.png

Once upon a time the attention to detail on things like this was normal:

full20170109204040.png

Also, the dialogue options look SO ugly. Again not only is the font ugly, but it's tiny (smaller than the original), and why do they need to be on a huge black background? What's the point? It wasn't necessary for Grim Fandango Remastered or even the original Full Throttle!

Edited by ThunderPeel

Found another one at the end of the game. When Ben escapes the plane before it falls into the gorge, there is supposed to be a quick shot of Ben on his Motorcycle escaping the flames. 

ee6e82af-33ef-40ce-beca-ee9468ac3777_zps

That detail is missing in the remastered version. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-24%20at%203.29.2

The second to last action shot in the whole game is now a visual continuity error.

I skimmed through the thread, so if I missed someone else talking about this, I'm sorry.

After trying out the remaster just now, there is one small annoyance.

The high res red CD thingie in the upper left hand corner. It seems to be impossible to turn off.

It looks very jarring when trying to play the original. One can make everything else exactly like it was back in 1995, but that damn red thing keeps popping up, and it's annoying.

Will there be an option to turn it off? For the sake of all the purists?

Edited by Sic-

Got another one. When you steal the ramp from the Cavefish hideout, but don't remove the dots in the road and the cavefish come to reclaim their ramp, the shadow one of them casts on the rock in close up doesn't quite reach the bottom of the screen, revealing a last row of pixels from the background.

(don't have a screenshot of this, but it was pretty distracting.)

Also, when Ben is driving on highway 9 and he passes the fertiliser truck, the fertiliser layer seems be on top of Ben instead of the other way around.

On 4/24/2017 at 8:40 PM, Jeyl said:

Found another one at the end of the game. When Ben escapes the plane before it falls into the gorge, there is supposed to be a quick shot of Ben on his Motorcycle escaping the flames. 

The second to last action shot in the whole game is now a visual continuity error.

Is it just me, or are there a couple of other things missing in that shot - the loose plane tyre on the road and a piece of plane to the top right of the flame trail?