Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
huthmfc

A question if you will...

I started thinking the other day. How hard would it be for Double Fine to purchase or aquire the rights to all the old LucasArts games? It seems the most of the development team has worked on Grim Fandango and other of our favorite games. And if anyone were to continue on with these franchises I personally would rather have it be the guys who created them. Being that LucasArts has no intention of even considering it until 2010, that doesn't give me much hope for any series to be continued. What do you guys think?

The word franchise makes me shudder a bit these days. It's understandable to want more of what you fancy, but given that DF is a smallish one-game-at-a-time type studio I'm much happier with the idea of them creating something that is brand spangly new than a rehash that ticks all the fanboy boxes. After all this waiting I would be utterly crestfallen if they pull back the curtains for DUM DUM DUMMMMM "Full Throttle II: Throttle Harder"

I hope they don't make a sequel and franchise that fantastic game psychonauts. Other than Monkey Island, I like that full throtle and grim fandango don't have sequels. They were amazing, moving titles, that left you wanting more. They are 100% successes in interactive story telling and I have extremely fond memories of those games. I want NEW original properties with NEW stories.

I want something BRUTAL and LEGENDARY.

I think Tim founded DF to get away from that sort of thing. The downside of being creative is that you'd rather create something new than continue a past hit game, which would almost guarantee $ucce$$.

Indeed. So they shouldn't consider buying the rights, finish Brutal Legend, and make Psychonauts 2.

I personally don't see the prospect of some sequels. Sure, i'd love to see another Syndicate game, or LA to accidentally trip over Totally Games and a new X-Wing game comes out. But why would anyone want another Grim Fandango game? GF is utter perfection, and the only way is down i'd say. It's done, its perfect, and thus should be left to sit on its alter where we can all sit and gaze into it's radiant excellence, offering our first borns on each equinox.

I wouldn't say Grim Fandongo is utterly perfect (damn you, undersea conveyor belt thing!) but I very much agree that a sequeal would not be good. Original IPs are the way to go.

They did, and it's a game I'd love to continue, but in a way, I'd also like it not to continue. Like, Kyle said, I too would like to keep the found memories rather than seeing something go terribly wrong. Not that DF could do that. :3

(But then again, think of the possible level designs people! And enhanced gameplay!)

A sequel to grim would be cool, but not as cool as whatever doublefine is hiding behind the curtain, I'm sure.

I'd honestly prefer originality at this point.

The word franchise makes me shudder a bit these days. It's understandable to want more of what you fancy, but given that DF is a smallish one-game-at-a-time type studio I'm much happier with the idea of them creating something that is brand spangly new than a rehash that ticks all the fanboy boxes. After all this waiting I would be utterly crestfallen if they pull back the curtains for DUM DUM DUMMMMM "Full Throttle II: Throttle Harder"

When I said franchise I was more referring to the Monkey Island Series of games. Which considering that there are 4 of them I think it qualifies as a franchise.

A sequel to grim would be cool, but not as cool as whatever doublefine is hiding behind the curtain, I'm sure.

I'd honestly prefer originality at this point.

Well sure, originality is good. For a company that, relatively speaking, is just starting out, you don't wanna get stuck in a rut. That's honestly what Lucasarts has done recently with Star wars. Or EA with its new array of sports games every year that STILL manage to be pretty much the same (and sell well nonetheless).

However, there is also, of course, a time and a place for sequels. Once Double Fine's got 2 or 3 original IP games out there, they could start working on sequels. While still creating the occasional new game.

I personally don't see the prospect of some sequels. Sure, i'd love to see another Syndicate game, or LA to accidentally trip over Totally Games and a new X-Wing game comes out. But why would anyone want another Grim Fandango game? GF is utter perfection, and the only way is down i'd say. It's done, its perfect, and thus should be left to sit on its alter where we can all sit and gaze into it's radiant excellence, offering our first borns on each equinox.

This is how you set yourself up for failure in the first place.

"We can't do better, let's not push it."

"We have to keep making up new stuff or it'll all turn to crap."

If you don't have confidence in continuing your current IPs, then you can't have much confidence making new ones, which is where you begin grasping for straws trying to do the "next big thing" and not quite realizing you don't need to reinvent the wheel every single time you make a move.

Sign in to follow this