Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

A thank you from a backer

So with the boxed copy of Broken Age and the Double Fine Adventure documentary being delivered last week to me in Sweden I thought I would just post my thanks for what I got for my pledge some year ago. 

In short, I think the value from what was delivered is so much more then I would have expected from my relatively meager pledge. I might at some points have been a bit impatient between the updates, but overall I cannot have expected more then what Double Fine and 2 Player Productions delivered. A special big thank you to Paul@2PP for keep us updated so regurlarly during this last stretch. 

The game that I got was so very enjoyable, and that comes from me that's been a fan of the old LucasArts games, played on an Amiga 500 and and 386SX PC. I felt that this was closer to those games then any other P&C adventure kickstarter delivered. If anyone wants me to specify why, I would happy to do so, but in short it's related to the structure of the game, the design of the puzzles, and the tone of the game. 

I'm not going to pretend it's perfect, I don't have to, since I rarely expect anything to be perfect. But it's a game with enjoyable puzzles. great dialogues, fantastic humour, great voice overs by, and that fantastic art style I didn't know I wanted when I backed this. I sincerely believe, and not only because I'm a DF fan before and after this, that it's a game with something for everyone that's a fan of the genre. 

I'm not sure what to add to add to the superlatives that the amazing documentary have gotten already (it's fantastic!).

But the game, I played this for 18h according to Steam, and want to replay it again. That's more value for an adventure game then I can request by any of them. 

Being a 30+ year old game that feels disconnected from the big publishers, Games as A Service, Free 2 Play and similiar models, games being made with this kind of dedication and enthusiasm is what I need to be able to keep my interest for games going. 

So for to Double Fine, 2 Player Productions and all their employees, from a $100 backer - Thank you.  

To be able to deliver such a great product under such extreme expecations, being documented while doing so, deliver to so many platforms, under such high expecations and hype, under such a relatively modest budget, being filmed while doing so - it extremely impressive. I hope everyone involved with making this game and this documentary feel an immense pride for doing so.

Thank you guys.  Reading this stuff means a lot to me (and all of the team).  Really appreciate it <3

Sorry to ride your coattails Cecil, I'm too afraid to start a new thread but I also came here to say thanks for Broken Age.

I just finished it at 4 am today, finally had time to go through to the end and it's such a strange and special game, not what I was expecting and I definitely felt like the characters had grown to be different people from the beginning. I guess it accomplished what the documentary said and that is important. I think a lot of my friends who know how big of a Tim Schafer fan I am think I'm kind of stupid for waiting this long but I seriously wanted to just open that fresh boxed copy and put the disc in the drive. I guess I have backwards priorities but oh well, I actually feel more isolated in playing it without anyone to really actively chat about it with at this point and it seemed like it enhanced the atmosphere in service of the game. And I don't know, I've had a really rough year or two (but who hasn't lately?) so it really hit the spot.

Also I didn't cheat for once on an adventure game. It's sort of been a while since I've done that. I suppose it's because Daedalic Games could certainly be designed better in some cases.

Also I feel like a huge jerk for griping on this forum months ago for the blu-rays taking so long. I'm sorry everyone. :( 

I was actually going through the documentary first because it's easier to sit and watch instead of playing something sometimes but I had to stop where I did originally when they were released online because of spoilers, but it's definitely a gem. My wife understands way more I think why Tim Schafer/Double Fine games mean a lot to me when she can actually see the people behind this stuff.

Anyway, on to that copious amount of commentary while I leave it in the background when I do dishes, hooray!

Edited by Sean Lane

Uh, I'd also like to express my fondness for that particular game and documentary. Thanks DF and 2PP!

@Sean Lane, did you manage to avoid any spoilers (outside of those you saw in the doc) while waiting so long?

Edited by TimeGentleman

On 1/21/2017 at 3:14 AM, Sean Lane said:

Sorry to ride your coattails Cecil, I'm too afraid to start a new thread but I also came here to say thanks for Broken Age.

I just finished it at 4 am today, finally had time to go through to the end and it's such a strange and special game, not what I was expecting and I definitely felt like the characters had grown to be different people from the beginning. I guess it accomplished what the documentary said and that is important. I think a lot of my friends who know how big of a Tim Schafer fan I am think I'm kind of stupid for waiting this long but I seriously wanted to just open that fresh boxed copy and put the disc in the drive. I guess I have backwards priorities but oh well, I actually feel more isolated in playing it without anyone to really actively chat about it with at this point and it seemed like it enhanced the atmosphere in service of the game. And I don't know, I've had a really rough year or two (but who hasn't lately?) so it really hit the spot.

Also I didn't cheat for once on an adventure game. It's sort of been a while since I've done that. I suppose it's because Daedalic Games could certainly be designed better in some cases.

Also I feel like a huge jerk for griping on this forum months ago for the blu-rays taking so long. I'm sorry everyone. :( 

I was actually going through the documentary first because it's easier to sit and watch instead of playing something sometimes but I had to stop where I did originally when they were released online because of spoilers, but it's definitely a gem. My wife understands way more I think why Tim Schafer/Double Fine games mean a lot to me when she can actually see the people behind this stuff.

Anyway, on to that copious amount of commentary while I leave it in the background when I do dishes, hooray!

Thank you for this.

The documentary was great all the way until the end, thanks 2PP. I was tearing up a little on the second to last episode. That bonfire footage, oh man. I still have a ton of extras and commentary to go through, this'll be in my blu-ray player for a while.

On 1/21/2017 at 11:24 AM, TimeGentleman said:

@Sean Lane, did you manage to avoid any spoilers (outside of those you saw in the doc) while waiting so long?

Unfortunately Act 1 was somewhat spoiled for me because

I knew it ended with a twist from various news outlets. So I guessed ahead of time what was going on because I cared too much about trying to find out what was going on with Mog Chothra. But I don't think that really killed my full enjoyment of the game because when Act 2 starts it presents more questions about the world and situation and I didn't really have any idea where it would be going until the rest of the game. It certainly got way creepier than I expected. But there were enough extra twists that I felt pretty blind going in.

Edited by Sean Lane

Sign in to follow this