Spaff

Full Throttle Remastered Community Q&A

Hey guys,

As we get closer to finishing this game, i thought it might be fun to do some Q&As with the team, so if you have any questions about remastering Full Throttle - the process, the features, etc - then post them here and at some point i'll collect them all and get them answered!

On-topic questions

• What are the team members' earliest memories of playing Full Throttle? - Cheeseness
  • Was it easier to remaster a 3D Lucas Arts game having done Grim Fandango first? - Coolsome
  • What was the most surprising thing (good or bad) that you've encountered during this remastering process? - buckysrevenge
  • Are you considering localized versions of the "Full Throttle" logo? - Laserschwert
  • Has there been any especially frustrating blobs of pixels that you had to figure out what they were supposed to be, and what goes into the stylistic descisions necessary to add detail? - torb, Cheeseness
  • Is original concept art playing a reference role for the artists working on the project, and if so, to what extent? - Cheeseness
  • Is Full Throttle in the same universe as Day of the Tentacle? If so, why does it have flying cars? - ThunderPeel
  • Is Full Throttle supposed to be set in a dystopian future (as most fans believe it to be) or is it just supposed to be the future (or an alternate reality)? - ThunderPeel
  • Will there be boxed releases of any of Double Fine's remastered re-releases? - Sean Lane
  • Will you be reusing those same old cues (in low quality), ripping music just straight from the Bone To Pick album, or regenerating the same custom arranged instrumental cues but in full quality? - MusicallyInspired

Slightly off-topic questions

• Was Maureen's model inspired from casey ackley? - Gosova
  • Finally, did you guys feel under pressure from all the positive reviews of Monkey Island when making Monkey Island 2? (There's so many references to Guybrush begrudgingly having to find another adventure after already having one big success -- did the team feel the same way?) - ThunderPeel
  • What does Tim think of Ben's voice actor from the trailer for the unreleased sequel Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels? - Joop
  • Do you consider ever making a sequel to Full Throttle? - shmerl

I'd love to hear the team members' earliest memories of playing Full Throttle :)

What was the most surprising thing (good or bad) that you've encountered during this remastering process?

was maureen's model inspired from casey ackley? 9_9

and i wonder if you gonna show some new screenshots any soon?

Are you considering localized versions of the "Full Throttle" logo? The original had the main logo both on the box and the game at least in German... don't know if there were logo versions for other languages as well.

There's something like 150× as many pixels in the new screenshots as in the originals, and it looks like you're doing a really good job interpreting both the content and style of the originals! That said, has there been any especially frustrating blobs of pixels that you had to figure out what they were supposed to be? (bonus points if you can illustrate your answer. :) )

1 hour ago, torb said:

There's something like 150× as many pixels in the new screenshots as in the originals, and it looks like you're doing a really good job interpreting both the content and style of the originals! That said, has there been any especially frustrating blobs of pixels that you had to figure out what they were supposed to be? (bonus points if you can illustrate your answer. :) )

166.5x if ScummVM's listing of 320x200 as the original resolution is correct (It's been a while since I last played, and I'm surprised it was that low!).

I've done a little bit of this type of upscaling/redrawing work before, and like torb, I'd also be interested in hearing about what goes into the stylistic decisions that are necessary to add detail to stuff that was ambiguous and open to interpretation at lower resolutions. Is original concept art playing a reference role for the artists working on the project, and if so, to what extent?

Can Tim finally answer the eternal questions:

Is Full Throttle in the same universe as Day of the Tentacle? If so, why does it have flying cars? Is Full Throttle supposed to be set in a dystopian future (as most fans believe it to be) or is it just supposed to be the future (or an alternate reality)? Finally, did you guys feel under pressure from all the positive reviews of Monkey Island when making Monkey Island 2? (There's so many references to Guybrush begrudgingly having to find another adventure after already having one big success -- did the team feel the same way?) 

Ok, I may have drifted off topic, but these are some of the burning questions I've had for (what feels like) eternity!

Not really a FT Remastered question, but I was actually wondering this the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjqAN72DoyU

I know Tim didn't have anything to do with Full Throttle; Hell on Wheels, but being the spiritual father, I wondered what he thought of the replacement voice actor they got for Ben.
That guy sure had some pretty big shoes to fill.

So, in short, based on the trailer, what does Tim think of the voice?

I can't believe I've never seen that trailer before! Ben doesn't look right, and the music is all wrong.

5 minutes ago, ThunderPeel said:

I can't believe I've never seen that trailer before! Ben doesn't look right, and the music is all wrong.

I know, right? They sure knew how to ruin a franchise. I'm glad it got cancelled.

What do you think of the voice, Thunderpeel?

I thought it was fine. He wasn't exactly Ben, but what can you expect? I actually kind of liked his voice.

I love all of Ben's punching and dance moves in that trailer. Did he even smile in Full Throttle? I remember no such thing.

On the thread, I am just curious if there will be boxed releases of any of these remasters. Maybe just in Europe like how Monkey Island SEs were released there?

I asked this question before but it never got answered, figured I'd try my luck at getting it answered again. It's a pretty complicated question so hopefully someone from the audio department can give answers here.

Regarding the Gone Jackals BTP music, it seems in the original game some unique instrumental stems were customized and  rearranged (in contrast to their format and pattern on the BTP album, ie- a guitar solo taken from here and put in a different place in the song, etc) and used for all the Gone Jackals music cues in the game.

1) Will you be reusing those same old cues (in low quality), ripping music just straight from the album, or regenerating the same custom arranged instrumental cues but in full quality?

2) If it's the third option (which I do hope) how accurate can you be with that? Do all the original custom music cues still exist in high quality before having been rendered down for the game back in 1995? Or do you have to rearrange them in the same way all over again?

Do you consider ever making a sequel to Full Throttle? Previous attempts didn't materialize, but I'd like it quite a lot.

I've summarised/paraphrased everybody's questions up in the first post. If anybody feels like their question isn't expressed well, let me know and I'll update it!

Keep the questions coming :)

1 hour ago, MusicallyInspired said:

How is my question less on topic than "will there be boxed releases of DF's remasters?"

The boxed remasters question encompasses Full Throttle Remastered. Yours being in the off topic section was an accident, which I've now corrected.

How did you adapt the many prerendered animations and cutscenes to the FT Remastered modern rendering? I assume you'll give us the option to switch resolution: that can be a problem when some assets had an original fixed resolution. Grim Fandango Remastered suffered from that, but I am happy to see that FTR looks HD 100%. I am very curious to know what was your strategy / pipeline.

Another question – since the images have a new wider aspect ratio to work on modern screens, does that also mean there will be new clickable things on the sides? Or is Ben just not putting his lips on that?

Edited by torb

I actually got to ask Ron Gilbert the Monkey Island question to his face as part of the Thimbleweed Park tour!  He informed me that he decided to start production on MI2 before MI1 was even released (things took longer in those days). He didn't even bother to ask for permission, he just got going with it. So no, the reason there's so many references to feeling under pressure to come up with another adventure, according RG, is simply because that's what he thought Guybrush would feel at the time.

Still, would be interesting to hear Tim's take!

16601647_10154845461115540_2170583153363548306_o.jpg

Edited by ThunderPeel