Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Anything you read in the [politics thread] is FAKE NEWS

Welcome to the politics thread!

It is the nature of such threads that there will probably be a lot of complaining in here, so please bear in mind:

RESPECT ALL FORUM RULES---ESPECIALLY THOSE PERTAINING TO NOT BEING A JERK TO OTHER PEOPLE.

Also, for historical reasons, unless a moderator tells us otherwise, it is probably best to avoid these topics:

--Gamergate (we've heard it all before)
--Religion (as in arguing about whether god is real, etc--please don't)
--Sexual assault (this always seems to end with drama and/or people getting banned)

Otherwise, please pour yourself a cup of tea, cup of coffee, and/or glass of beer and enjoy discussing all of the things our governments are doing right or wrong. (But let's be honest: probably wrong.)

Now get in there and give me twenty, soldier! :coach:

Edited by Anemone

The topic I would like to mention is this year's Super Bowl ads being political with the most controversy surrounding the 48 Lumber Company and Audi.

My gut tells me that it will take at least six months for the market to realize Trump is an absolute madman and for everyone to cash in and cause a collapse.

1 hour ago, Feddlefew said:

I'm waiting for the stock market to crash-  Everyone remembers what happened in 2008, right?

Yep, which is how we got stuff like Dodd-Frank in the first place, i.e. to protect against the kinds of practices that led up to 2008.

And of course getting rid of Dodd-Frank is one of the first things Trump decides to do "because I have friends with businesses and they can't borrow any money". Cool story, bro.

You'll see some positivity in the markets as people get excited about him deregulating everything, but those regulations are there for a reason.

He's increasingly on poor terms with even his own party. They aren't railing against him like the lefties are doing, but he is creating nothing but headaches for them. Even Mitch McConnell declined to say anything in his defense! Mitch "anything the republican party does is correct by definition" McConnell! That's impressive.

Edited by Anemone

I think with friends like the Republicans, who needs enemies? They'll drop him the moment they can do so without losing significant political capital (ie. once they know doing so will get them re-elected in a red state).

16 minutes ago, Anemone said:

Yep, which is how we got stuff like Dodd-Frank in the first place, i.e. to protect against the kinds of practices that led up to 2008.

And of course getting rid of Dodd-Frank is one of the first things Trump decides to do "because I have friends with businesses and they can't borrow any money". Cool story, bro.

You'll see some positivity in the markets as people get excited about him deregulating everything, but those regulations are there for a reason.

He's increasingly on poor terms with even his own party. They aren't railing against him like the lefties are doing, but he is creating nothing but headaches for them. Even Mitch McConnell declined to say anything in his defense! Mitch "anything the republican party does is correct by definition" McConnell! That's impressive.

Well, I mean more along the lines of "HMMM WELL DOESN'T THIS STOCK MARKET EXPLOSION LOOK LIKE A PUMP-AND-DUMP SCHEME", but your analysis applies more broadly then that.

Honestly, Rs should just oust him and replace him with Pence. I hate to say that because Pence is his own kind of nightmare and would still end up doing us harm, but he at least (I *hope*) would not alienate our allies and create/escalate tensions with other countries every time he opens his mouth.

Pence has a terrible ideology, and is also authoritarian in his own way, but he at least has emotional maturity beyond that of a middle schooler with an inferiority complex.

Pence is also an apocalypse cultist, whereas Trump is just a self-absorbed nihilist*.

*If you stay a nihilist instead of maturing into an existentialist, something has gone terribly wrong.

Oh I know all about Pence. He's my former governor. We were just about to fire him because he managed to rack up such tremendous unpopularity in the past year, but before we could fire him he latched onto a passing Trump.

While he was governor of Indiana he tried to pass that religious freedom bill that made everyone in the country mad (you'll recall the jokes about cakes and pizzas etc). He also was in the habit of firing or stripping power away from people who disagreed with him or got in the way of his agenda. Who does that sound like? He also tried to set up his own news network to broadcast the news through a Pence-filter. Who does that sound like?

It's no accident that Trump and Pence found things in common.

Pence would be horrible. It's only a question of would he be AS horrible? Would he be even 2% less horrible?

Trump is easily distracted and could accidentally end human civilization by throwing a tantrum. Pence is focused, smartish, and would benefit directly (in his mind) from ending human civilization.

Edit: What I mean is we have to choose between keeping Caligula or putting a sith lord in power.

Edited by Feddlefew

6 minutes ago, Feddlefew said:

Trump is easily distracted and could accidentally end human civilization by throwing a tantrum. Pence is focused, smartish, and would benefit directly (in his mind) from ending human civilization.

Yeah, that's the scary thing about Pence. He's basically Jafar. Milky white Jafar.

Edited by Anemone

1 minute ago, Anemone said:

Yeah, that's the scary thing about Pence. He's basically Jafar. Milky white Jafar.

I was just trying to think of a good comparison...

6 minutes ago, Feddlefew said:

I was just trying to think of a good comparison...

Including the whole usurping the Sultan thing. He was considering a run for the presidency anyway, but his year of extreme unpopularity in Indiana had made a successful run unlikely. I 100% believe that Trump is a means to an end for him. Trump is a catastrophe, and Pence is counting on reaping the rewards when the shit hits the fan. No doubt about it.

Edited by Anemone

Well, Betsy DeVos confirmed as Education Secretary. So long, surface dwellers, I'm going to go live with the Ninja Turtles.

Edited by Alcoremortis

Me: I'm white. I have money. My parents have money. My grandparents have money. Put me in charge of something!

Congress: But do you have any actual qualifications?

Me: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Congress: I dunno. I'm 50/50 on this one.

Me: Did somebody say 'campaign contributions'?

Congress: You're in!

Edited by Anemone

I was going to say that Jafar was way more flamboyant and had better taste in music, but then I remembered that Pence went to Hamilton. 

On the (very small) plus side, my libertarian cousin-in-law now realizes how messed up the GOP is. So that's something. Usually we argue about politics a lot, so it's a small silver lining to have some common ground for once.

This is the important takeaway for a lot of what's happening right now. Rs control everything, so it's going to be hard to block their agenda. Some people are going to feel like resisting is pointless, but the continuous resistance to their bullshit is making it very clear who the shills in our government are. IN BOTH PARTIES. It's also putting a lot of strain on the human cheetoh and forcing him to expend a lot of political capital to get what he wants. He doesn't have much of it to begin with, and it's clear people are already getting sick of him---even his own party.

5 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

I do hope everyone is aware that at some point this thread is gonna crash and burn

What does that have to do with Betsy DeVos?

12 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

I do hope everyone is aware that at some point this thread  administration is gonna crash and burn

Fixed.

6 hours ago, Noname215 said:

I do hope everyone is aware that at some point this thread is gonna crash and burn

Don't worry, the Secret Spaff Service are watching this thread closely.

KellySam Coolway here to ask we all pray for those affected in the Bowling Green Massacre. You won't see it on Clinton News Network though.

861810.gif?b64lines=

Edited by ⛸Coolsome on Ice⛸