Sign in to follow this  
epic

DFAF Brackets Challenge 2017

Welcome to another edition of the DFAF March Madness Brackets Challenge!  Last year, Johro took home the title, but who will take it this year.  A quick FAQ here.

What is March Madness?

March Madness is an annual college basketball tournament in America in which 68 teams face off for the championship.  Along the way, fans and spectators will fill out their brackets and predict each matchup throughout the tourney. Pretty much, a lot of Americans love filling out these brackets including Obama who started a White House tradition when he was in office to reveal his bracket.  Unfortunately, Trump will not continue that tradition. 

Why should I care?  What's in it for me?

So, you don't care about sports, but you like to play some video games?  If you take part in this contest and win, you will be gifted a $10-15 game of your choice on Steam.  Just PM me the details about the game and your Steam account. 

How do I enter?

You simply join the ESPN group I created right here: http://games.espn.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2017/en/group?groupID=1835595

The password is milk_man.  Once you enter that password and join, simply fill out your bracket. 

When's the deadline?

The deadline is Thursday, March 16th I believe as that's the day the Round of 64 begin.  The First 4 games (Tuesday and Wednesday) are not predicted in the bracket.

Women's Tournament?  Second Chance Bracket?

If there's a demand, I'll see if I can open up a group for the NCAA Women's Tourney which will have their bracket reveal tonight.  Next week, before the Sweet 16 starts, ESPN will allow people to make a Second Chance Bracket in order to predict the matches from the Sweet 16 forward.

MAY THE BEST BRACKET WIN!

22 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

I demand a Women's Bracket!

Did you submit one for the men's tourney?

Edit: Nvm, you did one.

Edited by epic

I submitted. I'd like to do a women's bracket, I haven't watched much mens college this year so I shot from the hip.

It's not really a tradition if only one president did it, Obama just likes basketball.

31 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

ALWAYS BET ON DUKE!

For the men's?  Maybe.  For the women's?  Hell no!  You always bet for UConn in that situation. 

I'm in.  I probably won't be competing for the title this time(I said that last time too).

I did mine, for the most part, by comparing certain statistics, with putting higher value to the ones I feel are most important.  I did this post-first round.  I guessed at the first round mostly.  Like last time, I blew up a quarter of my bracket.

Like last time, I have another team outside of the top 10 making the final four. 

This will either be moneyball amazing, or a cautionary tale of analytics.

Edited by Johro

21 hours ago, Johro said:

I'm in.  I probably won't be competing for the title this time(I said that last time too).

I did mine, for the most part, by comparing certain statistics, with putting higher value to the ones I feel are most important.  I did this post-first round.  I guessed at the first round mostly.  Like last time, I blew up a quarter of my bracket.

Like last time, I have another team outside of the top 10 making the final four. 

This will either be moneyball amazing, or a cautionary tale of analytics.

The only problem with looking at a lot of per-game statistics is that it favors teams in weaker conferences (or in some cases teams that play a certain tempo). But it's mostly a game of luck so your guesses are as valid as anyone.

I would never bet against UCONN women but this is probably the weakest team they've had since before Stewart got there. I'm surprised they were undefeated in the regular season honestly.

It does.  It also doesn't account for elite players which can carry a struggling team through a game.  I did not look up individual players and their per game impact.  There are definite flaws in my choices, but anything can happen in sports and that's why they're exciting.  A star player can get injured in the round of 64 and everything goes out the window.

3 hours ago, Bookdust said:

Make a sports fan of me yet, Epic.

Ha ha!  Anyways, you can still make changes to the bracket before the deadline.

I chickened out after looking at player analytics.  I no longer have a team outside the top ten in my final four.  I do still have a cinderella team though.

I also have a straight analytics bracket I've made outside the group.  It'll be interesting to see how it does.  It's separate because it's straight number crunching from 3 different analytic number statisticians.  It was just averaging numbers on my part with no instinctive choices.

Edited by Johro

In the Women's Tourney, who signed up under an anonymous ESPN account.  I'm pretty sure I have both groups private.  Anyways, the deadline is around 11 AM CT tomorrow.  Taking last calls!

Edit: Nvm, it was Kesha's.

Edited by epic

^

Yeah bracket 4171 was mine, it didn't make me sign in again when I opened the window so I didn't realize I had to enter my name again.

10 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

It just means that none of our brackets are going to be entirely correct. We all picked something that proved to be wrong already.

The only upset I got right so far was Xavier, who I have going to the elite 8. Picking UVM was a homer pick that I regret.

Edited by Brütal Ke$ha

I'll add that Mid Tennessee was the team that I had going to the final four as a massive underdog... which I changed my mind on.

One more round and I'll feel like an idiot.

That analytics bracket I mentioned is going to finish the day 20 points higher than me.

Edited by Johro

Louisville is not looking that impressive. I almost picked them over UNC in the elite 8 but I'm glad I didn't.

1460631706168.jpg

Jesus Christ Kesha, I didn't need to see that.

Also, USC's upset over SMU has ended all the remaining perfect bracket bids on ESPN.

^
I had USC actually. Creighton losing hurt my bracket, I had them over Oregon.

Is animal nudity NSFW? My cats walk around naked, dogs even.

Edited by Brütal Ke$ha

Epic and I are tied for now. All the favorites look safe for the rest of the night, I'd be in good shape if Marquette pulls off the upset.

Hey, my woman's champion went out in the first round. :D

I had one thought for that whole bracket, "defense wins championships", and I stuck with that all the way.

I have such low expectations for things from New Jersey and then one time I give Marquette some faith and they lose by 20.

I almost picked WV to beat Gonzaga, I probably would have if I realized someone was going to pick them to win it all. That will be an interesting matchup, I really like teams like WVU that have high-pressure defenses.

Tough luck with Nova getting knocked out, Epic- Wisconsin was a tough 8 seed. Good news for scarecrow and I though.

1453336506182.jpg

^
I was watching that, kid was hilarious. If Gonzaga wins by less than 4 Johro has to thank the refs. That missed goaltend call and technical were unbelievable.

Yeah... A 5 point game before that last intentional foul, the refs have some splaining to do. Definitely merits an announcement from the ncaa or something as well as not having those refs working any more Gonzaga games this tournament.

Edited by Brütal Ke$ha
end of game