Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Trogdor The Burninator

What if somehow Brutal Legend Bites?

At first I was slightly negative becuase there was an absence of: Sequel to Psyhonauts in it

admit it we all were probably

But this is actuially looking freggen awesome

And its by Double Fine, how can it not be awesome

That would be awful.

Because if Doublefine doesn't get good profits then the chance of a Psychonauts sequel will be zero :grrr:

Buuuuut if they do get good profits, well the possibilites could be good.

Also I'm interested in knowing how Double Fine somehow managed to survive after how badly Psychonauts sold

At first I was slightly negative becuase there was an absence of: Sequel to Psyhonauts in it

admit it we all were probably

I wasn't. Of course at the time I had only played Psychonauts once, so I wasn't as crazy about a sequel. Also you need to read more Tim Schafer interviews. Almost everyone asks him about Psychonauts' sales, and he always says it sold fine. Not just the steam sales either.

Its wont do badly. Period.

i have played almost every game Tim has been a part of professionally, (if not all of them) i have yet to play one that didnt amuse me greatly. :)

TIM SCHAFER FOR PRESIDENT!

sorry about that, we dont even have presidents in canuckland.

I'm more worried about the game being too awesome. Imagine how terribly things would turn out if the combination of Tim Schafer's ingenius mind and all that metal was so glorious that it caused gamers' faces to literally melt. Double Fine would be ruined for sure!

Why are you guys still on Psychonauts? I don't want a sequel to Psychonauts (I mean I wouldn't fuss if they made one but), I want Double Fine to go on from BL to make another original game, which none of us can possibly imagine. How many game companies show such range as to leave those who follow their work grasping at straws to figure out that it is they could be working on next?

They're already working on the next game you know, what could it be? I don't know, I can't even begin to guess, but I look forward to finding out what it is. But if Doublefine has any balls, which I thank they have in spades, it won't be a new Psychonauts.

Why are you guys still on Psychonauts? I don't want a sequel to Psychonauts (I mean I wouldn't fuss if they made one but), I want Double Fine to go on from BL to make another original game, which none of us can possibly imagine. How many game companies show such range as to leave those who follow their work grasping at straws to figure out that it is they could be working on next?

They're already working on the next game you know, what could it be? I don't know, I can't even begin to guess, but I look forward to finding out what it is. But if Doublefine has any balls, which I thank they have in spades, it won't be a new Psychonauts.

This. I've always thought that a Psychonauts sequel would just ruin the charm of the game and I would much rather see Tim doing what he always does and just pursuing his random 'hey, this would be pretty awesome, let's do it' game ideas.

Did Monkey Island 2 ruin the charm of the first? I don't think so, and I don't see why you can't make a sequel and original games. Especially since Tim has said he could see a sequel to both Brütal Legend and Psychonauts.

Did Monkey Island 2 ruin the charm of the first? I don't think so, and I don't see why you can't make a sequel and original games. Especially since Tim has said he could see a sequel to both Brütal Legend and Psychonauts.

Actually I thought MI2 wasn't quite as good as the first and some of he rehashed characters/plot points were a bit boring. The Psychonauts charm was the idea of a summer camp for psychics which Raz doesn't need anymore. We would see more minds, yes, and they might be interesting, but it would just feel like an expansion pack missing major details that made the first so deep and fun. The only two possibilities I could see are Raz as a Psychonaut or the tale of another aspiring kid, one of which would lack the childish charm of the first and the other would be a remake.

Is this just an assumption, or has someone from DF already said that they are working on a new game? I am so glad I was born in the same time period of human's existence as Tim Schafer. :D

Actually, in all the interviews I've seen lately, Tim has said they're focusing on Brütal Legend right now.

Hungryfreak, the problem with your argument is that those are the only two situations you could think of. You would have nothing to do with the game and so have no idea what it could possibly be.

I'm sure they are, "focusing" on Brutal Legend, that's not to say they haven't got another idea in the pipeline, it just means it isn't the priority at the moment.

And actually Hungryfreak has thought of the only two logical concepts based on how the first game ended. Either the game is about Raz as a Psychonaut and therefore the game is no longer about a Psychic summer camp and is instead a Paranormal Spy Thriller (Which I admit, would be AWESOME!). Or we return to the camp with a new protagonist and go through whatever different adventure at the same locations, without our spunky hero.

Also I notice that you didn't put forward any possible scenarios Leroy.

That's because I wouldn't know what Tim would do. I don't understand the universe as well as he does, since he created it. He could have something set up that we wouldn't be aware of to make the game more awesome than we could imagine.

I wasn't trying to get on his case about guessing what the sequel would be, I was getting on his case about assuming that a sequel would suck based on what his ideas for it would be like.

Every time I think about a Psychonauts sequel I always remember:

Big explosion? Fall off a cliff? No body found? The bad guy is still kicking it somewhere, bidding his time to take revenge; or retired in some warm, sunny place where they can spend the entire day doing nothing while surrounded by beautiful women and/or men.

If it came out, I would play it and it wouldn't be bad, but it would just show a lack of creativity and just leave me to think what could have been accomplished without pointless sequelage.

As for the possibilities, those aren't plots, those are the two formulas that really can be followed (well the other is following another notable psychic/Psychonaut which would have the same problems as Psychonaut Raz in that it loses the childish charm). those are the only two/three possible archetypes a sequel could follow. There's infinite possibilities in interpreting them, but they all have the same inherent flaws.

If a sequel was made to Psychonauts it would most likely be a continuation. Why leave the main story on such a cliffhanger and then start over with a new kid? Seriously.

Sign in to follow this