Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Trogdor The Burninator

What if somehow Brutal Legend Bites?

If a sequel was made to Psychonauts it would most likely be a continuation. Why leave the main story on such a cliffhanger and then start over with a new kid? Seriously.

I don't see a cliff hanger. It's more of a 'life goes on' ending.

If it came out, I would play it and it wouldn't be bad, but it would just show a lack of creativity and just leave me to think what could have been accomplished without pointless sequelage.

As for the possibilities, those aren't plots, those are the two formulas that really can be followed (well the other is following another notable psychic/Psychonaut which would have the same problems as Psychonaut Raz in that it loses the childish charm). those are the only two/three possible archetypes a sequel could follow. There's infinite possibilities in interpreting them, but they all have the same inherent flaws.

Again, those are just the only possibilities you thought of.

If it came out, I would play it and it wouldn't be bad, but it would just show a lack of creativity and just leave me to think what could have been accomplished without pointless sequelage.

As for the possibilities, those aren't plots, those are the two formulas that really can be followed (well the other is following another notable psychic/Psychonaut which would have the same problems as Psychonaut Raz in that it loses the childish charm). those are the only two/three possible archetypes a sequel could follow. There's infinite possibilities in interpreting them, but they all have the same inherent flaws.

Again, those are just the only possibilities you thought of.

Unless the game was completely changed so that the only resemblance was the name and textures, there are no other directions that it could go in. Think of any possibility and it will either fall into those archetypes or it will be an idea that doesn't have anything to do with Psychonauts.

Well for all we know the next game could be an action game or a point and click game. The context could be Raz trapped in an insane asylum and trying to escape like in the Chronicles of Riddick game.

you know, as much as i love the characters and storyline of psychonauts, they aren't the real star of the show. the core of this game lies in the whimsical interpretation of various eccentrics' minds. so really there are many more untapped ideas to roll with.

Yes this is true, but you can't exactly do that forever. Even with the vast differences between minds, adding more and more would just feel like rehashing. I though Psychonauts was the right length to explore the minds without anything becoming stale. Maybe a few more would be fun, but any more would exhaust it.

I'm not thinking of a strain of ideas, though, alone. The concept of mind-hopping in itself would get tired out. Whereas Psychonauts had the right amount so that the concept still felt cool and new through the game, adding more would just make it feel like any other game divided into levels. Then it sort of loses its individuality.

Are people forgetting the cliffhanger at the end of Psychonauts?

I like original stuff too, but the story of Psychoanuts was left incomplete by the use of a cliffhanger, which by definition is a melodramatic adventure serial in which each installment ends in suspense in order to interest the reader or viewer in the next installment.

I like original stuff too, and it IS easy enough to shurg off the cliffhanger. I am just saying.

And if Brutal Legend is bad, Nintendo will release a new Star Fox, F-Zero, and good DOnkey Kong for the Wii, fanboys will stop being idiots, and it will rain gold dabloons in Mexico.

I like original stuff too, but the story of Psychoanuts was left incomplete by the use of a cliffhanger, which by definition is a melodramatic adventure serial in which each installment ends in suspense in order to interest the reader or viewer in the next installment.

I like original stuff too, and it IS easy enough to shurg off the cliffhanger. I am just saying.

And if Brutal Legend is bad, Nintendo will release a new Star Fox, F-Zero, and good DOnkey Kong for the Wii, fanboys will stop being idiots, and it will rain gold dabloons in Mexico.

And Google (the search engine, not the company) will rise up and begin a new world order.

That was NOT a cliffhanger. I thought the game tied up pretty damn well and the end was sort of just zooming out from the world, saying that the psychic world is one constantly in motion, in contrast to the general opinion of the campers at the beginning of the game.

And Google (the search engine, not the company) will rise up and begin a new world order.

I need an aluminum foil helmet!!!

That was NOT a cliffhanger. I thought the game tied up pretty damn well and the end was sort of just zooming out from the world, saying that the psychic world is one constantly in motion, in contrast to the general opinion of the campers at the beginning of the game.

What about Lili's dad being kidnapped?

I'd like a sequel. There's so much more to be done in that world.....

And JJkul, you'd need a lot more than aluminum foil helmet. I would suggest a full body suit.

What about Lili's dad being kidnapped?

I think of it the same way as the ending to the Incredibles (go about 2 minutes in). I mean I'm sure it would be an interesting series of events to observe, but all its really saying is that a hero's work is never done.

I'm not thinking of a strain of ideas, though, alone. The concept of mind-hopping in itself would get tired out. Whereas Psychonauts had the right amount so that the concept still felt cool and new through the game, adding more would just make it feel like any other game divided into levels. Then it sort of loses its individuality.

well it is just like any other game divided into levels. but yes it's possible to run anything into the ground. i see this happening with the levels themselves (where you spend the bulk of your time) before the device that ties them together, though. so long as the minds remain worthwhile, why would you get tired of traveling to them?

I'm just saying that it would really lose the intended feel that the game was giving the levels. They would just start to seem like regular levels (like those games that require an ice level and a fire level and a jungle level, etc...)

Why are you guys still on Psychonauts? I don't want a sequel to Psychonauts (I mean I wouldn't fuss if they made one but), I want Double Fine to go on from BL to make another original game, which none of us can possibly imagine. How many game companies show such range as to leave those who follow their work grasping at straws to figure out that it is they could be working on next?

They're already working on the next game you know, what could it be? I don't know, I can't even begin to guess, but I look forward to finding out what it is. But if Doublefine has any balls, which I thank they have in spades, it won't be a new Psychonauts.

Excellent. I don't want Double Fine to do what I think of, because I know they'll think of something better. Though, I do think it would be cool if they did an arcade title or two because they tend to be more creative and risky than full retail games.

True. Technically, it's speculation and just my feeling based on previous experiences. I feel, though, that the concept would easily tire out, though, in a second game, especially with the Collective Unconscious that has no reason to be remolded besides the fact that it would be boring to keep it unchanged.

I really love the DFAF, but damn, you guys suck at

keeping threads on the right track.... All most all topics

are derailed in someway or another....

I like you all, but c'mon..

Psychonauts in the Psychonaut section

Brütal Legend in the Brütal section..

I've already explained what would happen:

1- The world explodes.

2- Google (the search engine) takes over the world.

My good friend you shouldn't be,

that's one of the reasons why we've

got a gazzilion threads on these boards.

Most start out good, but along the way

explodes into non-related stuff....

Sign in to follow this