Spaff

04/04/17 - Amnesia Fortnight 2017!

Really love Kestrel's points.  The fans not having complete control this time is genius as Tim and the rest having more control over pitches that REALLY grab their attention is smart & gives everything a real sporting chance.  I like Kestrel have felt in the past "I'm voting for this, but I know I live on an island where me & 2 other people love this idea and 1 of them is the person who pitched it & the other is Tim".

Hey @Spaff,

Do we have a sort of ETA on when the Bundle actually launches tomorrow?

9 AM PST?  12 PM PST?  (I'm Eastern, but can figure Pacific easy).

I actually thought the picks of the past Amnesia Fortnight's were pretty descent, but it's true that mobile games didn't really stand a chance. Also pitches that don't leave enough room for people's imagination often didn't seem to be as popular as others that do. I'm curious how the new system will change things.

The best thing about AF though, is Greg playing Happy Song on the livestream!

Edited by honeymaker

11 hours ago, honeymaker said:

I actually thought the picks of the past Amnesia Fortnight's were pretty descent, but it's true that mobile games didn't really stand a chance. Also pitches that don't leave enough room for people's imagination often didn't seem to be as popular as others that do. I'm curious how the new system will change things.

The best thing about AF though, is Greg playing Happy Song on the livestream!

Just so I'm clear, I think all the amnesia fortnight picks have been really great picks, and I've been really happy with what has been chosen. But the systems for selection before definitely have a bias towards Kickstarter-style pitches, i.e. people something either already know that they want, or has a really eye-catching premise/high concept that draws people to it. 

This gives a chance to stuff that people might not know they want but Tim or the staff have a good feeling about, or ideas that don't quite stick out so much, but might get a chance to shine in prototype. 

I also feel that the games that got prototyped/made were great and don't have any disappointments or regrets about past outcomes, but like KestrelPi, I'm glad to see the changes in selection handling.

For the Amnesia Fortnights prior to 2012, the projects were selected internally and resulted in things like Stacking, Headlander, Iron Brigade and Costume Quest. When I first saw the AF2014 pitches, Elliott's Great Spirits pitch stood out to me in that it felt like it was the most "Double Fine-ish", and I find myself wondering if it might have gotten more attention if things had been different. With this new approach, I think we get the best of both worlds :)

1 hour ago, Cheeseness said:

When I first saw the AF2014 pitches, Elliott's Great Spirits pitch stood out to me in that it felt like it was the most "Double Fine-ish", and I find myself wondering if it might have gotten more attention if things had been different. 

I was actually thinking about Elliot's idea as well. I'd like to think that had he provided some concept art, his pitch would have ended up much higher. It's about providing enough information, but not telling every detail to allow people to fill in the gaps using their imagination (which reminds me of No Man's Sky and how risky it is to use that strategy for a kickstarter pitch..).

Edited by honeymaker

2 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

For the Amnesia Fortnights prior to 2012, the projects were selected internally and resulted in things like Stacking, Headlander, Iron Brigade and Costume Quest.

Headlander was actually one of the AF 2014 pitches - you can watch the original pitch here: 

So clearly there's still hope if your favourite pitch this year doesn't get chosen :D

1 minute ago, Kludgey said:

Headlander was actually one of the AF 2014 pitches:

The Headlander concept had been around for a long time before that. Tasha, who left Double Fine to go back to Pixar in 2011, had worked on the trailer used in the AF2014 pitch video.

Yes, the pitches are online. See you all in a hour of two