Double Fine Action Forums
Spaff

Oota's Songs of Happiness (Miyuki Richardson)

Oota's Songs of Happiness is a musical action RPG where you need to save the world through the power of song. Our hero, Oota, is the last good-hearted person alive with the ability to sing, and must face the evil singing monsters to restore the peace to the planet. Unlike conventional RPGs you have no swords or armor, and there is no killing. Instead, you will have to sing to your enemies to sway them and befriend them. Things usually found in RPGs like weapons, magic, and summoning, will instead be your voice with different styles of singing, instruments and backup dancers, and you will get kisses instead of experience points. Oota's Songs of Happiness has unique turn based musical combat, with each round filled with singing and dancing! 

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Hello! I'm Miyuki. Above is my AF2017 pitch called "Oota's Songs of Happiness" (And here is a doodle of Oota and her sidekick Mini-Sensei.)

Capture.JPG.5aca296eb64ab5e021a68cb0d24ca4c8.JPG

I love musicals! I love singing and dancing! I love RPG! You get the idea:D 

Ask me questions if you have any! 

Woo! Thank you!

Edited by Miyuki Richardson

The combat system & visuals are fantastic and your enthusiasm is infectious.

I am curious outside of the cmbat how you envision the RPG elements.  Fetch quests?   Battle of the bands?  What will separate it to feel more than just an RPG where your sword is a flute?  

(I'm presenting questions that I feel once answered will help me make a more informed voting decision)

I feel like the world needs more friendship and kissing and singing, let's make this happen!

Thank you!  Thank you, you guys!  I know, I totally agree the world needs lots of all that!

2 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

The combat system & visuals are fantastic and your enthusiasm is infectious.

I am curious outside of the cmbat how you envision the RPG elements.  Fetch quests?   Battle of the bands?  What will separate it to feel more than just an RPG where your sword is a flute?  

(I'm presenting questions that I feel once answered will help me make a more informed voting decision)

And for the question. Thank you for asking! That's a good point! 

Before I say anything, I want to remind these are all "hey, if I'd ever make a videogame, I dream about doing this!" type of things, so don't assume I'm thinking of doing all of these during AF. So, here's a random list of possibilities to give better idea on what's in my head right now. 

-Since it will be RPG , the story will be major part of it for sure. 
-Linear or not, it will have a big story arc. And different endings.
-Setting: In this universe,no one knows about concept of music or singing (except for Oota and all the evil monsters)  The concept of music(and maybe dancing) existed years and years ago, but that's an ancient thing. (So maybe  you could open a treasure chest and get pop up like"You've found an ancient music style Hip-Hop!")
-Main quest would be to find the source of why world has so many evil singing monsters, and to advance the story.
-Side quests would be to help people around the world (kinda like how Zelda side quests are.)
-Side quests also restore music and dancing to the world. You will start seeing more people sing and dance as you complete side quests. 
-I call Oota "She" and she looks like a girl now. But you can pick appearance from few different hair style, cloths, colors. It's gonna be very simple but you can create your own character in a way.

As I said, I'm not thinking of doing all that during AF. I'd say (if it happened to get selected) I will focus mainly on creating fun and solid combat game play for the 2 weeks of AF! (And maybe few cutscenes, because I love animating them!) 

I don't know if I answered your question, but I hope that helps!

Let me know if I'm not making sense! (Because I sometimes don't.)

Are you imagining this as using actual singing, like we'd physically sing into a microphone, or more like "press WASD to hit the right notes"? Either way, it's a cute idea!

2 hours ago, Klatuu said:

Are you imagining this as using actual singing, like we'd physically sing into a microphone, or more like "press WASD to hit the right notes"? Either way, it's a cute idea!

Thanks for checking it out! Personally I'd love to sing into a microphone(I love to sing) , but I'd say the latter for this pitch. I'm imagining something like each button has certain things you equipped. And more like "as long as you are doing something on the beat( jumping, singing, dancing, playing instrument etc.), you are good, but what you do is up to you." rather than "you have to press right button on right moment " type of thing. But I'll be open to suggestions from teams and others on that part as long as it feels good when playing. I'm aiming for something that makes you feel like you are on stage.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Actually your answer is exactly what I'm looking for.  In terms of just knowing how much someone has truly envisioned their pitch and world and concepts states a lot to what the prototype no matter what it focuses on can turn out to be.  

I appreciate everything in your response.

By the way, sorry for many grammatical errors! I try my best to proofread. But still English isn't my first language and I'm not the best when it comes to writing. So please feel free to tell me if you think what I say makes no sense!

:hexiraz:

5 minutes ago, Miyuki Richardson said:

By the way, sorry for many grammatical errors! I try my best to proofread. But still English isn't my first language and I'm not the best when it comes to writing. So please feel free to tell me if you think what I say makes no sense!

:hexiraz:

I read your stuff in what I assume your accent is like... (okay that's a lie... i read it in Niki Yang's voice, which I know is an exageration of her real voice).  And it makes it super fun!

I love RPGs and I am always looking for RPG games with interesting but catchy mechanics. Even a game like the Shadow Hearts series just came up with something as simple as the Judgment Ring and it really set that series apart from all other similar games.

And we sure could use some more games full of joy and positivity in this grimdark world!

I will be watching to see where this goes!

YES!

Reminds me of the first time I tried to play ICEWIND DALE with a full party of Bards! (I was role-playing in my head: "Bards going to a Bards Convention. That's a thing, right?")

Needless to say, I did not make it far.

Now, I can ... hopefully, soon. ♫♫♫♫♫♫

Between this pitch, Fresh, Symphonic Strife, and Liz Miserable, it seems pretty clear that a lot of people at Double Fine want to make a music game, which I'm all for. I'm leaning towards Oota, since it has the best name and the most fun pitch, but really I just want all these games to have a big dance off and merge into one amazing project.

I like how this pitch reminds me of the combat in monkey island where you win fights with your jokes. I think it's important in this game to do more than just reskin a jrpg. for example, in most jrpg a monster has a health bar, but in this game the things stopping a monster from being your friend could be fear, anger and disharmony, haveing multiple health bars that all need to be depleted could give a unique feel to encounters. or perhaps you summon you instruments and backing dancers to give you buffs but you need to give them all time in the spotlight to keep them happy or they sulk and refuse to play for you for a bit. my point is this sounds cool but please make sure to keep thinking out the box ;)

@Anemone I agree! That kind of a unique mechanic certainly adds a lot to the gameplay! I liked the rolling HP meter in Earthbound for example. 

@AdamBeckett Ohhhh! I haven't played Icewind Dale, But that sounds like something I would do.  Every game I have played that lets you pick Bard or Dancer or something, I always pick them. Not so useful in many cases, but I just love them. (Why not! )

@majugi Thanks! Yeah, we noticed that there are many music games this year! I'd be happy to work on any of them!  

@wot fanar Yes! That was a really fun part in Monkey Island (Sadly, I've never actually played it growing up since most of the LucasArts adventure games didn't get released in Japan. But those were my husband's favorite childhood games, so he fed me with bunch of Let's Plays and I'm pretty familiar with them!) Those are great suggestions! And, I totally agree, I want to keep thinking outside the box to keep the mechanic unique! Thanks!  

Voted for this, shame this didn't get picked, I love the idea of song and dance being the combat of the game :D