Double Fine Action Forums
Spaff

Mega Flora (Michael Tucker)

The microscopic world of the forest floor becomes BIG in Mega Flora. Play as a small tree spirit overseeing the growth of a tiny natural ecosystem, encouraging plants to pollinate and grow by any means possible. Climb flowers to collect seeds, dig deep to plant them, and collect dew drops the size of your head for water -- tending a garden is a monumental task when flowers are as big as trees and bugs are bigger than you! 

Flowering plants grow dynamically depending on how much water and sunlight they receive and seeds will grow into newflowers with traits inherited from their parents. A diverse ecosystem is a healthy one, so encouraging unique traits to emerge works in your favor. Who knows, the weirder plant life you help create you might see changes in the rest of the forest as well!

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

i love the idea of this, the simulation aspect really interests me, dynamic growth and breeding really appealed to me most, plus i like nature and growing things in real life, but it can take so long to do, i voted for this. 

I'm one of those weirdos who has NO connection to Animal Crossing.  What other simulation games would you compare the vision to?  Or if not other games, is there a game play aspect or is this more envisioned as an interactive beautification of seeing plants grow and get weird and knowing you helped them get that way?   Can any of the weird plants becomes evil and you're little wood sprite must do measures to save the other plants?

(I'm presenting questions to each pitch of what I feel I need to know more about to make a better informed decision before actually voting)

Thanks @thestalkinghead!

@Reid_Harris_Cooper

Oh man, I just realized that I know very few people who haven't played Animal Crossing! It's not problem if you haven't played it, if you're familiar with Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, or any other "daily life" sim, then you'll understand the core of what I want Mega Flora to be. These games are all based on simple, pleasant systems that the player interacts with daily. It's the zen of maintenance and the joy of watching things interact and grow that I want to capture in this game.

This concept excites me a lot and i hope the final visual style would resemble the pitch video in some way. The wobbly lines and bright colours especially. 

Gave one of my votes to this one, I really liked the idea of being a forest spirit tending unseen to the life around me. Would be interesting to hear a little of the graphical style, in my head I was leaning a little towards a Pikmin look.. but that might be out of scope for AF.

Super nice concept!! I love the idea of the tiny character navigating around and taking care of the garden, and the background simulation makes it feel alive.

It kinda reminded me of PixelJunk Eden, you could get inspired by how those characters move. And it's single-screen multiplayer!

Anyway good luck! :)

Lovely concept! What is the gameplay going to be like?
Do you move around and plant things in 3D like Animal Crossing? Or is it 2D like Terraria?

How would you manage the traits for a plant you sow? Is it along the lines of planting the seeds with other types of seeds or even parts from insects you've defeated?