Spaff

Outside (Greg Rice)

Outside is a game with optional VR support about kayaking and exploring the majesty of the great outdoors. Players visit a procedurally assembled natural environment of beautiful forests and rivers with branching paths that provide a multitude of different experiences.

Play sessions are short, with high replayability coming from randomized climate, day/night, and wildlife systems as well as major scripted narrative moments between you and your kayaking partner tied to the choices made along the path.

It's a mostly quiet and relaxing game that takes pleasure in simple natural moments like a heron fishing at sunset, but also allows for dramatic events like an argument over flipping your kayak or making a wrong turn to a more dangerous section of the river full of rapids and waterfalls.

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Greg, this sounds great! It is totally up my alley \o/

I'd love to hear what inspirations you're drawing on here. Are any real-world rivers and locations feeding in for how you're envisioning Outside to look and feel?

As this states VR optional, are we envisiong this as a first person exploration?  If so... realistic or cartoony?  

Also, since Kayaking, what would be the actual control mechanic?  I love the idea of a truly relaxing experience which may have some danger in it... but am having trouble enisiong kayaking as a walking simulator without more basis. 

Hey dudes, thanks for watchin! Yeah I imagine we'd do something slightly stylized first person, along the lines of a Firewatch. For the kayaking sections (which is what we'd focus on in AF), I was thinking we'd use the left and right triggers to control paddles like you would a kayak. So paddling on the right turns left and paddling on the left turns right, with a current slowly pulling you forward. For VR, it would be the same, but with motion controllers!

And yes Cheese, kayaking/hiking and generally exploring outdoors is one of my favorite things. I make numerous trips a year up north to the Russian River area, which is goooooooorgeous. Always imagined it would take inspiration from that (and would want to take my team up there for a day)!

0-341-36.russianriver.m.jpg

Hey Greg,

Would the focus be more on the outdoors/kayaking or the conversations/relationship with the other person in the boat? The idea is amazing BTW. Voted for it, would love to see this made. 

Really digging the exploration and wilderness aspect of this game.

I also own an Oculus and a Vive so looking forward to some VR goodness.

When I was playing Firewatch and reached the lake, the only thing I could think was 'Wow. I really want to go kayaking here.'

This is literally that. Awesome. Please everybody vote for this.

Dude... that's like awesome.  I feel Firewatch and the concepts of it are big enough to hear other voices in that type of environment.  Yours is one I'd enjoy greatly.

Thanks for um..  making this voting even harder then it already is.

So we've got...

• Inside by Playdead
  • Outside by Greg Rice

Let me pitch you MY game. It's called

• Upside-down by Anemone

I just want us to have the full set ;-)

@Bidiot Bales how dare you! D:<

...but you're not wrong. :hexiraz:

(bales here, deleted it because it's not a game, just realised.)

For those who might be oblivious to my INCREDIBLE WIT

4de851629fb6a5a0948bf45689ef4463.jpg

These good-for-nothin' young'ns! All they do is play minecraft and don't even read the berenstain bears! :oldman:

Glad to hear Firewatch as a jumping off point for the graphical style becuases that's exactly where my head went when I heard the pitch. And environmental exploration is a great fit for both my and my wife's play styles! You have my vote! :D (Well one of them, so many good ideas!!)

9 hours ago, kyle3wynn said:

Hey Greg,

Would the focus be more on the outdoors/kayaking or the conversations/relationship with the other person in the boat? The idea is amazing BTW. Voted for it, would love to see this made. 

I'd definitely want to make sure each run has something significant happen from a story perspective. In some cases that would be something conversational between you and the person you're sharing the boat with, but sometimes it may be more action focused or an event in the world around you. I do think most would be pretty dialog light though. Games sure can tend to talk too much these days. I'd like to have a solo mode option with no partner too which would illuminate all dialog and storylines that would need that.

I'd think the major branches in the river/path would hold the more significant story moments, but I'd like the other systems to add a ton of variety in the details and scenery. No two trips down the river ever feel quite the same and I'd like to reflect that. Hoping to give a ton of replay value so folks can use it to relax or take a virtual trip when the real thing isn't possible.

3 hours ago, Greg Rice said:

take a virtual trip when the real thing isn't possible.

That's one thing I really dug about Firewatch - I felt like I could approach it the way I approach hiking and it felt really rewarding. I hope you're able to capture a "sense of kayaking" that lets players feel the peacefulness of being out on the water :)

Do you feel like the events within each trip would be a standalone, or would they weave a broader narrative between play sessions?

Are you envisioning the player's partner to be the same person all the time (or the player to be playing as the same character all the time), or would we be exploring different relationships across multiple trips?

Half of this game will be in the sound design I feel. Out on the water, the thing that always strikes me are the sounds. It's beautiful.

Can we also get smell-o-vision for this game?

Dat nature.

Was thinking the same thing. Field trip to collect sound samples anyone??? ;)

Love the concept, Greg.

I really like that you are thinking that the story events could be driven by nothing more than what direction to go at a fork in the river. deciding between a more lush looking path and a more meager one could be a lot more interesting than forced, scripted decisions.

Good luck.

I just realized there is also an Above....

and a BELOW....

With the Kayak are we even OUTSIDE... aren't we... INSTREAM?