Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Fresh (Chris Lam)

Fresh is a 3D single-player dance game where you must out-perform your opponents in epic, fantasy hip-hop dance battles. As you attempt to access different turfs in the game, you will be pitted against local dance crews and attempt to win the entire audience’s applause. Take turns with your opponents, performing dance moves that require unique button combinations, and perform more advanced moves to earn even more applause points. Each crew you face will practice different dance styles, and you will need to learn new moves and combinations in order to out-dance them all, and prove you are the freshest dancer on the block.

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Hey everyone!  Fresh is inspired by my fascination with urban dancing and I want to make a game where the player feels as if they are controlling the dancer and creating the choreography.  I'm here to answer any questions and share more information about my AF Pitch, so please feel free to chime in.

Stay fresh!

Really like this pitch. Did get a little bit of a jet set radio vibe from it. Probably because of the urban/hiphop vibe and the mention of different crews and turfs.

Do already have an idea how you want to judge the player's dancing, what types of variables where you thinking to use?

35 minutes ago, gulstar said:

Really like this pitch. Did get a little bit of a jet set radio vibe from it. Probably because of the urban/hiphop vibe and the mention of different crews and turfs.

Do already have an idea how you want to judge the player's dancing, what types of variables where you thinking to use?

Thanks for checking out the pitches, gulstar!  Jet Set Radio is definitely a heavy influence when I envision this game.  Similar to Splatoon, I loved how those games used urban/hiphop culture and mixed it with their own fantasy worlds of skaters and sealife respectively.

As for the judging, I imagine the surrounding environment playing a big role with delivering feedback to the player's progress.  I want the audience's animations, and even colors, to change as you execute moves that deliver more "points."  The points will be based on the sequence you invent during the dance, whether you can hit them on beat, and performing different moves/sequences to upstage your opponent will grant the player more points.  Maybe there will be an actual progress meter that you must fill, or maybe it will be purely visual cues.

Hope that answers your question.  And as always, stay fresh!

Thanks for your answer :-). Personally I would lean a bit more towards the visual cues, but I guess it will depend on what is going to work. 

You will be getting my vote. Best of luck

I love the actual idea of this... especially since dance battle videos can be amazing to watch.  My friend is an even more avid lover of this type of video but he's definitely given me an appreciation.  Here's a good channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsUN4bFILiVPGX5DZ1DB-ow

I'm cruous if you evnvsion Street Fighter style or more a rhythm game?  I personally would love if it was more fighting game style where you're building a meter and then dropping that one BIG move as a like a super combo and such.  Mainly cause I suck at Rhythm games.  So in that fashion, how would ON BEAT work... would it be more like in that one Def Jam game?  Please say yes?

1 hour ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

I love the actual idea of this... especially since dance battle videos can be amazing to watch.  My friend is an even more avid lover of this type of video but he's definitely given me an appreciation.  Here's a good channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsUN4bFILiVPGX5DZ1DB-ow

I'm cruous if you evnvsion Street Fighter style or more a rhythm game?  I personally would love if it was more fighting game style where you're building a meter and then dropping that one BIG move as a like a super combo and such.  Mainly cause I suck at Rhythm games.  So in that fashion, how would ON BEAT work... would it be more like in that one Def Jam game?  Please say yes?

Hey!  I love watching dance battles and especially how each performer/crew has their own unique character and style.  It's that dynamic of dance battles that I would like to bring to this game.  Thanks for the channel!

When I was pitching this game, I was very careful not to label it as a rhythm game; I understand what expectations can come from mentioning that.  This game will probably be more similar to a fighting game like Street Fighter or Tekken, but turn based like Bust A Groove.  You will be building towards hyping the audience and "filling a meter" (may not be a literal meter) to dish out a SUPER move, which could almost secure your win if performed correctly.  The "beat" will be a rhythm element that can build your meter faster and access more advanced moves if you can land things on time, but not necessarily ruin your chances if missed.

These are the type of challenges I feel will make the development of this game interesting.  In fact, as a complete game, I would want to see a story and characters develop and the dance battles to be the core mechanic that let's you progress through it.  Of course, for two weeks of prototyping, I think the dance battles will give us enough to work with.

Stay fresh!

Edited by Clam

If your game is green lit I'm happy to do play testing.

I'm pretty sold here.  You envision it as I felt the pitch was selling it but was unsure.  I can see a lot of fun replay even in a prototype of just Dance battling street fighter style... or Tekken like Dance battles.

I watch dance videos way far too often.  I'll be so excited if this pitch moves forward.  And sad that I can't contribute!

This series of step dictionaries always seemed to me like they might be handy reference for an animator:
Old School
Middle School
New School

plus this one of some toprock steps

I'll be crossing my fingers to see some locking & c-walking moves :)

12 hours ago, Michael said:

I watch dance videos way far too often.  I'll be so excited if this pitch moves forward.  And sad that I can't contribute!

This series of step dictionaries always seemed to me like they might be handy reference for an animator:
Old School
Middle School
New School

plus this one of some toprock steps

I'll be crossing my fingers to see some locking & c-walking moves :)

Yes, Michael!  I totally remember these hiphop dictionary videos!  I use to watch them when I was studying animation in school, just for fun and to analyze.  YAKFilms was also one of my favorite channels to visit back then- it still is today.  I remember seeing some of your older posts before of dancers, so I figured you'd like this concept ; )

Thanks for your support, man!

@Clam Will you be providing your own Mo-Cap for this game or will the animation be old-school (not a serious question)?

This idea seems really fun and I'd love to see it get made. Good luck, Chris!

17 hours ago, rheberling said:

@Clam Will you be providing your own Mo-Cap for this game or will the animation be old-school (not a serious question)?

This idea seems really fun and I'd love to see it get made. Good luck, Chris!

Everything will be created by an animator (or whoever wants to animate).