Spaff

Jacinda (Jeremy Natividad)

Jacinda is a side-scrolling puzzle game in which you'll take control of two characters simultaneously using both analog sticks.

You play a thief who goes to an abandoned castle and gets trapped in a mirror world where a girl that lives there finds you and tries to help you escape, but she walks on ceilings and is always upside down.You'll have to work together in different planes to overcome obstacles and get back to the real world.

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Hey everybody!

Here's some art from the pitch. And some gameplay notes I doodled up for some stuff that could happen in the game.

01.JPG

04.JPG

06.JPG

Have you thought about local co-op? If you map the controls right you could potentially have two players play on the same controller( sort of like the nintendo switch joy-con)

3 minutes ago, gulstar said:

Have you thought about local co-op? If you map the controls right you could potentially have two players play on the same controller( sort of like the nintendo switch joy-con)

+1 for this.

I'm a single player player... never want to play with anyone.  So the idea of playing as two as the same time is great.   

This almost reminds of Sally's Law but harder and also in that you don't play the characters together but you do need to try and do proper timing.  

I'm wondering if for some reason your controller acts up, will there be a way to play this by keyboard?  Sure it'd hard as hell running WASD and ULEFTDOWNRIGHT or even 8426 at the same time, but it should definily be an option.

This is high up on my voting list simply cause if it'll look like a Jeremy Natividad game... I want it, cause I've been wanting a damn Jeremy artbook forever.

45 minutes ago, gulstar said:

Agreed - this sounds like a great game for the switch.

Jeremy, I'd love to hear about some of your inspirations for Jacinda.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Suns jumps out to me as potentially being related, but I'm keen to hear how the concept formed within your own mind and what fed into that :)

This sounds like a lot of fun! I like the concept of mirror puzzles.

Loads of people have already said this, but this definitely feels like a switch game which could be single player or multiplayer

Hey everybody! Thanks for interest in JACINDA! I'll try to answer questions that I saw reading through here. Sorry if I miss any.

Yep! Brothers was a major influence. I really loved that game. I think the metaphor of having a hard time using the controls and the brothers struggling to work together was super strong. Ideally, I think that's how I thought JACINDA would be played. BUT local co-op is something that has come up more than once. And I actually think in some instances it would be more challenging, because controlling both of your own hands at the same time could be difficult, but timing it out with another person might be also hard. So I'm not opposed to either of those scenarios!

Actually the initial pitch for JACINDA was that when you entered the mirror world, your controls would be reversed, which I was super into. Haha. But, mostly, everyone was not. :P I think I still would like to make that an optional mode if possible.

Here are some of the control mockups I came with before settling on the one in the pitch. (In the Mirror Controls, you'd switch between characters with a button press.)

Mirror Controls A: Basically the left and right are reversed for the Thief. Up and down would also be reversed when switching to Jacinda.

Mirror Controls B: Just the layout of the controls is reversed. You'd move with the circle buttons and the d-pad would have your action controls.

The last image is the one that seemed like something people were most comfortable with.

mirrorcontrols.jpg

05.jpg

13 hours ago, Jeremy Natividad said:

Yep! Brothers was a major influence. I really loved that game. I think the metaphor of having a hard time using the controls and the brothers struggling to work together was super strong. Ideally, I think that's how I thought JACINDA would be played. BUT local co-op is something that has come up more than once. And I actually think in some instances it would be more challenging, because controlling both of your own hands at the same time could be difficult, but timing it out with another person might be also hard. So I'm not opposed to either of those scenarios!

Actually the initial pitch for JACINDA was that when you entered the mirror world, your controls would be reversed, which I was super into. Haha. But, mostly, everyone was not. :P I think I still would like to make that an optional mode if possible.

Brothers' kind of mechanics/interfaced based storytelling feels so rarely explored, and is super powerful.

Mirrored controls feel like they'd be super interesting, but might lose impact unless you're passing back and forth between the mirror world and the regular world frequently?

Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for this one ^_^

6 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

Brothers' kind of mechanics/interfaced based storytelling feels so rarely explored, and is super powerful.

Mirrored controls feel like they'd be super interesting, but might lose impact unless you're passing back and forth between the mirror world and the regular world frequently?

Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for this one ^_^

Yes! I tried coming up with rooms where you jump between normal and mirror controls, but it got kind of murky with how I thought the mirror world functioned with people getting trapped and being able to escape only if their body is there. I think it needs more thought. But here's a drawing I initially used trying to figure that out.

You'd jump through a mirror and you'd end up back in the real world. Stuff you did in either world also affects it's reflection on the other side. So you could use this to solve puzzles. There's a lot of problems with this tho. Like the rules on getting out of the mirror world. And this situation doesn't need the Thief to go to the real world to solve the problem. So it still needs a lot more thought. It is something I'd like to figure out tho.

C5NOtnmUEAA8Zw6.jpg

C5NOtngUoAAbfr2.jpg

4 hours ago, Jeremy Natividad said:

Yes! I tried coming up with rooms where you jump between normal and mirror controls, but it got kind of murky with how I thought the mirror world functioned with people getting trapped and being able to escape only if their body is there. I think it needs more thought.

Easy fix. Mirror world inside the mirror world [Inception Horn]

52 minutes ago, Do not even ask said:

Easy fix. Mirror world inside the mirror world [Inception Horn]

Actually... Haha. 

giphy.gif