Double Fine Action Forums
Spaff

Pretty Warriors vs. The Chaos Gem (Emily Johnstone)

Pretty Warriors vs. The Chaos Gem is a board game about magical girls trying to defeat an evil villain. One player assumes the role of that villain, the Empress of Chaos, and acts as the game master, and controller of time. The other players assume the role of a magical girl warrior, playing as a team. 

The Empress controls the board, hurling various obstacle cards at the team in an attempt to weaken them, and the team of magical warriors must work together to overcome them. Too many failed activities will result in the Empress of Chaos taking over the world. But if our magical girls are communicating and in sync they will be able to defeat the Empress and bring peace and harmony to the world. 

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Guest Piet

Hi, I like the premise. Will this be online multiplayer? I don't have 3 friends :(

Hey, just checking: is this for a real world boardgame or a virtual board game?
PS: Would be stoked about a real boardgame :)

Edited by vimes
autocorrection from hey to hell?

The questions have been asked, so yes...  what is being pitched here...

and if a virtual board game... will it be one that can be played against AI?  

Could someone be the gamesmaster and be playing against super smart AI?  There hasn't been a good GOD game where you're evil and the game fights back or tries to.  That could be really cool and fit this pitch/concept.

16 minutes ago, vimes said:

Hey, just checking: is this for a real world boardgame or a virtual board game?
PS: Would be stoked about a real boardgame :)

Oh wow, I hadn't even considered that it might be a physical board game - that would be cool, and the prototypes could be distributed as print & play.

6 hours ago, Emily Johnstone said:

Hey everyone! My intention is to make a real world board game. 

And so, you get my vote!

Guest Piet

This is cool. So I guess if you get to build the prototype, we'll be able to download the 3d models of the characters, the rule book and the image files of the cards and the board. I voted for you by the way. 

So flattered Emily would make a documentary board game about my life. :'')

You had me at "board game". But also at "A team of magical girls, defeating a villain..." 

This is my choice for "we need more games by girls for girls" ( ... and the rest of us).

Have fun, making it! :)

I'd love to see this one get chosen - it'd be really interesting to watch a board game being prototyped.

Are there any existing board games that your game would be mechanically similar to or draw inspiration from? The combination of cards in the pitch vid an emphasis on communication conjures up games along the lines of Dixit and Mysterium, but I could be way off base.

Would be very interesting to watch the creation of a boardgame. You get my vote! Good luck, Emily!