Double Fine Action Forums
Spaff

Vagina Crisis: A Period Piece (Monica Chin-Perez)

V. Crisis: A Period Piece is a health education game about a 13 year old girl who gets her first period. It’s an adventure game where the player is presented with solutions to a problem. None of the options will have a correct choice because life has no perfect solutions. Cutscenes will depict the girl’s reactions to the situations she’s put in. There will also be facts on how a period affects women’s everyday lives. The girl’s appearance will be customizable and a meter will monitor different emotions. When an emotion gets too high the girl will react. Both the story and facts will be different for every decision, making the game perfect for multiple playthroughs. Every gender should feel comfortable playing the game as it will be a great learning tool for students as well as adults.

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

We just started talking to our daughter about what to expect when her period comes. She loves video games and it'd be cool to show her this as a companion to the conversations we're already having with her.

Hope it gets chosen!

If they give out awards for best pitch game titles, this should definitely be the winner. 

A very unique idea that would be useful for a lot of people - could even be used in classrooms.

Oh my god this Art!  Did you draw this Monica?  If so or not, please tell me this is what the project would look like.  It's awesome.  I want these as assetts for coloring pages, backgrounds, avatars.

I honestly don't have many questions about this pitch.  It's pretty clear cut as an interactive solution to a worldwide problem that after 100s of years parents, teachers, etc. still find trouble tackling and tend to just shive a book or a counselor at the kid... which is fine.   Having another option of an interactive game would be great as well.   Although I feel maybe the game should have a few wrong answers, so that it is informative.  Also possibly while being written for a teenager, thinking of ways to make sure it is universal... especially to all game players.  I am not saying it has to be.  The player should also find a way to identify on their own, but they are problems and concepts on taking something "niche" and maybe making more universal as the pitch proposes.

There's a question in there without the question mark.  Basically just hoping to hear more about the vision beyond the pitch before voting.

I really like this idea! I played many educational games as a child in the nineties, and despite good intentions, they all had low production values and way too simple gameplay.

A game like this with good art and interesting choices could be really good!

Reminded of Nina Freeman's work. This could be pretty awesome and inspiring. 

@EricMahler Hi Eric! I know from personal experience how embarrassing this conversation can be. I recommend buying this kit that helps both young girls and their parents get informed about periods: https://shop.helloflo.com/products/period-starter-kit?gclid=CPbai9jSzNICFcaIswod-0oOAA One of my goals with this game is to let both young girls find information out on their own to ease embarrassment.

@Reid_Harris_Cooper I for sure want this game to be incredibly welcoming to anyone! The facts I'm going to use aren't just purely medical/biological but also sociological. For example, if the player chooses to find tampons on their own a fact about how young girls in countries all over the world (including first world nations like the U.K.) don't have regular access to sanitary products and therefore skip a week of school every month. The girls that regularly skip school fall behind their classmates and some eventually drop out. I want people to understand that girls and women constantly have to make life choices based on a biological event we don't always have control over.

And half of the art is mine. The pieces with all the roses are mine. The digital art is by a DF concept artist named Say Oh. The game would look like a combination of these styles.

@maxbz it'd be more like watching a cutscene, then a screen with a question with answers will pop up and you select an answer. Another cutscene will play in response to that and then the next question & answer screen, etc.

I would like to present this trophy to Monica for AF 2017's most clever title. I speak for everyone. You win the title contest.

latest?cb=20141012020028

This is awesome!

And important. Begs the question "why does this still not exist?" WHO and UN should sponsor this, or know about it?!

Not everyone grows up in a "happy family" where this topic is a handled well. Cultural, religious taboos, etc, etc.

Got my first vote. Have fun making it! 

[Will need translations in many, many languages. Maybe - we, community - can help with that.]

Oh I should also explain the title. I'm glad everyone loves it but I can't claim it as my own. Back in September my friend Maria stayed with me. She told me about how her boyfriend always buys tons of games on Steam but forgets what he bought so he bought a chalkboard to write them all down to remind him. He still forgot all his games so she would write fake ones to mess with him. One of those fake titles was Vagina Crisis and when she told me that I was A. amazed and B. said it should be a real game. I told her it should be an actual game about periods and that's how this game pitch was born! 

When I pitched the game another Double Finer (Asif Siddky) suggested A Period Piece. I loved both names so that's how my game got its title!

Oh dear, I'm gonna have to saw this trophy into pieces and hand them out.

you could even take it in a hitman direction (with different costumes--maybe she could dress as a nun or somethin)...where having a vagina is literally a crisis. and you would have to sneak around to avoid harassment or cat calls or whatever the devil young women need to deal with nowadays...nvm this probly works best as a telltale like adventure game...So why didn't you just call it V.Adventure or something fun?

NO OFFENSE I just thought there'd be some action in a game called V.Crisis...my bad. I play some preatty messed up stuff so I thought this would be like "Limbo" or "Inside" (y'know games that have hidden messages about the societies that play them,) but its okay if it's just about making friends and preatty characters too. I really like this the more I learn about it.

Edited by Don Grant

9 hours ago, Don Grant said:

you could even take it in a hitman direction (with different costumes--maybe she could dress as a nun or somethin)...where having a vagina is literally a crisis. and you would have to sneak around to avoid harassment or cat calls or whatever the devil young women need to deal with nowadays...nvm this probly works best as a telltale like adventure game...So why didn't you just call it V.Adventure or something fun?

NO OFFENSE I just thought there'd be some action in a game called V.Crisis...my bad. I play some preatty messed up stuff so I thought this would be like "Limbo" or "Inside" (y'know games that have hidden messages about the societies that play them,) but its okay if it's just about making friends and preatty characters too. I really like this the more I learn about it.

Don't want to speak for Monica, but I suspect that the choice of name is appropriate because starting periods can be a scary time for a girl. I wouldn't know, but it probably does feel like a crisis at the time, and I guess the game is about dealing with that. And secondly of what Monica said above - it was an idea from a friend which seemed funny. I think the name is plenty fun!

On 05/04/2017 at 5:24 AM, Monica Chin-Perez said:

@maxbz it'd be more like watching a cutscene, then a screen with a question with answers will pop up and you select an answer. Another cutscene will play in response to that and then the next question & answer screen, etc.

So it'll play out like a visual novel? 

;(

Life is not fair.

... you should do this thing, anyway? It's too awesome (and important!) to let go.

Edited by AdamBeckett

3 minutes ago, AdamBeckett said:

;(

Life is not fair.

... you should do this thing, anyway? It's too awesome (and important!) to let go.

Yup. 

I'm glad The Gods Must Be Hungry won, though! 

Ah sorry people, I'm on vacation in New Zealand so I haven't been checking the forums! I guess I just found out about who won AF this year. lol 

@KestrelPi you explained that pretty well. I'm not sure how many times that other commenter has seen the movie Teeth but his ideas are nowhere near my pitch.

@AdamBeckett & @Moeez yes I still want to find a way to make the game. I've been talking about this game since September so I've had people suggest different avenues to create it. I'll figure it out when I get home. ?

On 4/9/2017 at 2:42 AM, Monica Chin-Perez said:

Ah sorry people, I'm on vacation in New Zealand so I haven't been checking the forums! I guess I just found out about who won AF this year. lol 

@KestrelPi you explained that pretty well. I'm not sure how many times that other commenter has seen the movie Teeth but his ideas are nowhere near my pitch.

@AdamBeckett & @Moeez yes I still want to find a way to make the game. I've been talking about this game since September so I've had people suggest different avenues to create it. I'll figure it out when I get home. ?

Monica,

It received a lot number of likes on Twitter, so I was hopeful this would be selected. How can we follow this project for the future? Thanks.

P.S. Google tells me that you worked on the 'Making of Star Wars' with JW Rinzler.  Love that book. Thanks for the archive expertise!

@xler8 since I just got back I have to figure out what I want to do.

Yes I did work on that with Jonathan! It was one of my favorite projects while at Lucasfilm. I worked on the digitized interactive versions of the books with him. It was so much fun to hang out with him and find all these obscure pieces in the Archive.

The new Anne of Green Gables titled ANNE had an episode in which Anne first has a period and then has a scene of girls discussing the conceptions of them.  

It made me think of how this a project that needs to exist, as video games are another awesome venue and could tackle something that is still an issue now as much as it was in 1910.