Spaff

The Gods Must Be Hungry (Asif Siddiky)

A 3D platformer where warrior chefs make giant meals to stop ravenous gods from eating the human race! Each level starts with a mad dash to gather ingredients around town and arrive at an arena before the god does. The better you are at platforming and chopping up food-based enemies, the better your ingredients will be. Inside the arena, you’ll prep and serve your culinary masterpiece as spectators look on in the world’s largest televised event. Guided by a panel of eccentric commentators, you’ll manage cook times in a twisted kitchen, arrange food and garnish on massive plates with portable, Splatoon-like cannons, and feed the beasts into an eternal food coma. It’s like a 3D “Burger Time” topped with a slice of “Attack on Titan” but as a completely over the top (and delicious) game show!

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Thanks, you guys! I'm going to Pin this comment because it addresses a issue I've heard a few times now.

13 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

The platforming Burger Time part sounds almost complicated.   Mostly cause I always sucked at that... but at the same time, super fun.  Especially if it can figured out how to it in the round.

Totally fair! I've heard this concern from a few folks who don't feel they're very good at platforming games. I definitely want that element to be more fun than punishing. It's less about executing super precise triple jumps and landing on a dime just to reach a cutting board and more about hopping around giant skillets, dodging blasts from bamboo steamers, and scaling huge blenders to drop stuff in before jumping down on to power button to get it going. The cooking tasks will still take priority, but there's no reason* you shouldn't be able to launch breaded shrimp into a deep fryer on the other side of the arena while you wait for something else to finish under the broiler next to you.

*said with the understanding that prototyping this is meant to prove whether or not this is fun/engaging.

11 hours ago, Anemone said:

So many games obsessed with food and flowers. Clearly @Tim Schafer is taking this company on too many picnics! :happytim:

I'll have you know I've been building towards a project like this my whole life ;)

TheGodsMustBeHungry_Baby.jpg.10021d410299594252db9689c4f46413.jpg

Edited by Asif Siddiky

Just a placeholder post for now! Lot going on this week, but I'll try and check in at least twice a day this week for question answering. Thanks!

1. Co-op multiplayer? (please)
If multiplayer 1a. Throwing food at each other and catching in mid air with physics?

2. Chefs that are ingredients themselves? Chef broccoli or chef tomato etc. They'd have to jump in as the last ingredient :D

Voted already so good luck, hope you make it :)

Edited by nettleflap

2 hours ago, nettleflap said:

1. Co-op multiplayer? (please)
If multiplayer 1a. Throwing food at each other and catching in mid air with physics?

2. Chefs that are ingredients themselves? Chef broccoli or chef tomato etc. They'd have to jump in as the last ingredient :D

Voted already so good luck, hope you make it :)

Thanks!

1. I hadn't been thinking about it as a co-op thing between two humans (which sounds fun), but I was thinking that it would be cool to pick up different sous chefs along the way who can help out with stuff like that. Possibly even switching between characters so that you can pass things to yourself across the arena and multitask.

2. That's a hilarious image! I was thinking about certain characters being sentient food items that would willingly offer a part of themselves to you for the greater good. I'm trying not to get_too_ahead of myself because a) the game needs to get picked first ;) and b) things will always change in major ways once it gets more hands on and brains on it. Still, a great thought!

36 minutes ago, Asif Siddiky said:

Thanks!

1. I hadn't been thinking about it as a co-op thing between two humans (which sounds fun), but I was thinking that it would be cool to pick up different sous chefs along the way who can help out with stuff like that. Possibly even switching between characters so that you can pass things to yourself across the arena and multitask.

2. That's a hilarious image! I was thinking about certain characters being sentient food items that would willingly offer a part of themselves to you for the greater good. I'm trying not to get_too_ahead of myself because a) the game needs to get picked first ;) and b) things will always change in major ways once it gets more hands on and brains on it. Still, a great thought!

Thanks for response :) Yeah I understand that you don't want to get too much into it just yet.
About multiplayer, couch co-op would be the way to go I guess if you want to stir it in.
I can just imagine 4-player co-op chaos pushing and throwing food around being very much fun :D

Watching again I felt like the commentator bit feels very extra. It would add a comedic effect true but I think this effect could also be added in other in-game ways.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, nettleflap said:

Watching again I felt like the commentator bit feels very extra. It would add a comedic effect true but I think this effect could also be added in other in-game ways.

Yeah, the commentator/panel element is definitely something that could go either way. Because it's such an integral part of game shows (especially Japanese ones), I thought it would be a unique way to communicate some of the goals to the player instead of text on screen or some other obtrusive UI element. If this project gets picked, figuring that out will be a priority for sure!

I've always wondered what it would be like if IRON CHEF was turned into a video game.  I feel adding the Sci-Fi element definitely adds something.

The platforming Burger Time part sounds almost complicated.   Mostly cause I always sucked at that... but at the same time, super fun.  Especially if it can figured out how to it in the round.

So many games obsessed with food and flowers. Clearly @Tim Schafer is taking this company on too many picnics! :happytim:

54 minutes ago, Anemone said:

There is such a thing as too many picnics??? ;)

Loved this idea, definitely had some strong DoubleFine DNA in the mix. Liking that idea of having NPC sous chefs, but mixing that with a bit of human sacrifice.. hehe hehehehe oh yes! :D

I really like this idea. Something about playing with giant food gets me excited.

Good luck, Asif!

This idea reminds me strongly of Battle Chef Brigade (Steam Link and Original Kickstarter Pitch). This pitch seems to have a more emphasis on the physicality of wrangling big chunks of food onto plates though (as opposed to Battle Chef Brigade which represents its cooking in a puzzle minigame).

3 minutes ago, majugi said:

This idea reminds me strongly of Battle Chef Brigade (Steam Link and Original Kickstarter Pitch). This pitch seems to have a more emphasis on the physicality of wrangling big chunks of food onto plates though (as opposed to Battle Chef Brigade which represents its cooking in a puzzle minigame).

A few people have brought this game up (with good reason; the general concept is similar), but you're right; the fact that this is meant to be a more action-oriented 3D game will result in a very different player experience than a 2D game based on puzzles/minigames. BCB looks cool though! I'll definitely be keeping on eye on its eventual release date.  

Having watched far too many Food Network shows for my own good, I feel like it'd almost be remiss to not include a mid-game arbitrary challenge that forces you to change up what you're cooking (eg. you're given a giant durian that's mandatory to include in your meal and you have to somehow hide its odor)

52 minutes ago, Do not even ask said:

a giant durian

You. Monster.

Seriously though, yes! Part of the challenge is that the show runners will occasionally throw you some curveballs. Not sure how much this will be reflected in the prototype because there are so many other things to work out before that, but that's definitely part of the If There's Ever A Full Game... dream

*GASP* Not the Wontons!

Screw it man... dump the entire Giants thing... just work on a Chopped/Iron Chef game.

A competition between warring tribes/villages' cooks where the loser has their tribe/village devoured by the judging god(s). That'd be a neat multiplayer/alternate game mode for the If There's Ever A Full Game... dream

I'm super interested in this one!

8 hours ago, Asif Siddiky said:

A few people have brought this game up (with good reason; the general concept is similar), but you're right; the fact that this is meant to be a more action-oriented 3D game will result in a very different player experience than a 2D game based on puzzles/minigames. BCB looks cool though! I'll definitely be keeping on eye on its eventual release date.  

I see this as being pretty distinct from BCB, but I have to say, if I wasn't playing BCB daily, I don't think The Gods Must Be Hungry would have caught my attention as much as it has.

I noticed that you said you want to make sure that the platforming sequences are more fun than punishing. I'm curious to know if you're considering putting in some harder to reach places/ingredients that offer a bit of a risk vs reward proposition for players (do you risk spending time trying to get hard to reach stuff, or play it safe and live with less exciting ingredients?).

For some reason in my head one of the gods looks like a Titan in Attack on Titan with Gordon Ramsay's face. I'll just leave you with that image. Well, goodnight!

15 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

*GASP* Not the Wontons!

Was not expecting that to be the payoff line in this video. Hilarious. Might need to keep that phrase in my back pocket ITGGM (If the game gets made)

14 hours ago, Do not even ask said:

A competition between warring tribes/villages' cooks where the loser has their tribe/village devoured by the judging god(s). That'd be a neat multiplayer/alternate game mode for the If There's Ever A Full Game... dream

Yeah! Some competition between different tribes/villages/countries was definitely part of the original idea (this was initially a comic book I had wanted to make long ago). One way I saw that translating into this game is that some of them might invade your arena and try to sabotage your cooking; insisting that their ingredient or method was the "proper" way to make [x item] and you had to fight them off and/or somehow undo the damage they'd done to the dish. I like the idea of losers being worried that they'd be the ones eaten as a motivation though.

14 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

I'm curious to know if you're considering putting in some harder to reach places/ingredients that offer a bit of a risk vs reward proposition for players (do you risk spending time trying to get hard to reach stuff, or play it safe and live with less exciting ingredients?).

Yep! There was only so much I could get across in the 30 second video, but one aspect of that gathering phase where you're running through town is that the better ingredients would be in the harder to reach places. Ideally, I like the idea of revisiting places with better weapons / new abilities so that you can cook higher ranking dishes (thus opening up new bonus levels). No matter what though, the arena would always have the bare essentials so you could just run straight there and cook if you want. It just would yield you the lowest possible score and limit how much you'd progress in the world.

Similar idea for the arena: The majority of the platforming required while cooking wouldn't be_too_intensive to do what you need to do, but if you really wanted to be pro and cut your time down as much as possible, there'd be harder platforming challenges that would act as shortcuts of sorts. I'd want to make sure the average player could play through the core set of levels with a decent score, but reward the really skilled players with better achievements / additional levels / perks / etc.

1 hour ago, andyh said:

For some reason in my head one of the gods looks like a Titan in Attack on Titan with Gordon Ramsay's face. I'll just leave you with that image. Well, goodnight!

Terrifying. I'll be billing you for whatever sleep I lose tonight.

I was intrigued by this pitch right away, and thus I voted! Good luck, Asif!

I may do thinking way too far down the line, but any chance for some Maiden's Feast DLC levels where you cook for Mog Chothra?

50 minutes ago, rheberling said:

I may do thinking way too far down the line, but any chance for some Maiden's Feast DLC levels where you cook for Mog Chothra?

Hehe, great idea! :D

14 hours ago, rheberling said:

Oh man, tying it into other DF-owned franchises would be amazing! If it gets picked, there would have to at least be a nod to this somewhere...

31 minutes ago, Asif Siddiky said:

Oh man, tying it into other DF-owned franchises would be amazing! If it gets picked, there would have to at least be a nod to this somewhere...

Blend a giant smoothie and pour it into a MASSIVE CHALICE!