Double Fine Action Forums
Spaff

The Gods Must Be Hungry (Asif Siddiky)

Thanks, you guys! I'm going to Pin this comment because it addresses a issue I've heard a few times now.

13 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

The platforming Burger Time part sounds almost complicated.   Mostly cause I always sucked at that... but at the same time, super fun.  Especially if it can figured out how to it in the round.

Totally fair! I've heard this concern from a few folks who don't feel they're very good at platforming games. I definitely want that element to be more fun than punishing. It's less about executing super precise triple jumps and landing on a dime just to reach a cutting board and more about hopping around giant skillets, dodging blasts from bamboo steamers, and scaling huge blenders to drop stuff in before jumping down on to power button to get it going. The cooking tasks will still take priority, but there's no reason* you shouldn't be able to launch breaded shrimp into a deep fryer on the other side of the arena while you wait for something else to finish under the broiler next to you.

*said with the understanding that prototyping this is meant to prove whether or not this is fun/engaging.

11 hours ago, Anemone said:

So many games obsessed with food and flowers. Clearly @Tim Schafer is taking this company on too many picnics! :happytim:

I'll have you know I've been building towards a project like this my whole life ;)

TheGodsMustBeHungry_Baby.jpg.10021d410299594252db9689c4f46413.jpg

Edited by Asif Siddiky

Congratulations @Asif Siddiky Have fun, maybe eat some crazy stuff a giant would before you get down the hard nitty gritty.

Edited by Reid_Harris_Cooper
Love with sarcasm towards the hard work ahead came across incorrectly, trying best to do correct.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the support. As someone who had to cast his own studio votes, I know there was a ton of amazing projects to choose from.

Congrats Asif! Only project of the chosen ones that I actually voted for.

And thanks to this one and Darwin's Dinner this will be the most delicious Amnesia Fortnight yet! :D

Congrats @Asif Siddiky! This looked like a real run idea as I've mentioned. So glad it got picked. A fun two weeks ahead. Hopefully more actual fun than Dwarf Fortress 'FUN' but we'll see :D

14 hours ago, countstex said:

Congrats @Asif Siddiky! This looked like a real run idea as I've mentioned. So glad it got picked. A fun two weeks ahead. Hopefully more actual fun than Dwarf Fortress 'FUN' but we'll see :D

I think there might be some in game !!FUN!! to go with the !!Cooking!! , but hopefully the actual development process is regular fun.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:37 PM, Bidiot Bales said:

Have you ever made a game before Asif?

I have not! Haven't finished one, anyway. But I'm feeling confident with the collective wisdom and experience of the team behind me. Just need to crawl into a wormhole so I have enough time to prep everything I need to for them. That will be most of tonight.

Everyone else, thank you a thousand times. This is still taking time to sink in as being reality. Very encouraged by the thought that folks out there are excited by this project. I'll do my best to update when I can. Hard to say what my days will end up looking like right now. Similarly, I'll tweet stuff when I can so you can follow me @asifsiddiky if that's your preferred format.

Hey folks, here's a look at some concept art for our player character. There are some awesome god designs in the works as well, but you may see those in the Day 1 episode of the documentary so I'll hold off on that for the time being. Super excited by how much this is already taking shape! Big thanks to Say and Levi for being so rad!

AF_Gods_Concepts_WarriorChefs_1.thumb.jpg.b69dcf17f657e01111034fcbd9855886.jpg

Edited by Asif Siddiky

I like the flinging arm haha, good work. Are there any plans for more than one player character?

All I'm left wondering is what the kitchen utensils are actually gonna look like.

Edited by Dungeon Stone

As with everything in AF, it really depends on time, but the goal on day 1 was to have a choice between a man and woman character (as seen above on the right and left, respectively). Due to time constraints, the difference between the two will probably just be cosmetic and there won't be any difference in their ability. If there's ever a full game, it'd be cool to experiment with different chefs having different attributes! Or at least accruing a team of sous chefs that you can choose from to help out with tasks.

1 hour ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

From the concept art alone this looks awesome.  It'll be intriguing to see what art style the game takes on to stick with this awesome visual.

Indeed. Can't wait to see the gods and food stuffs! :D

Hey all,

I'm on Asif's team helping out with the production side of things - team coordination, tasking, scheduling, that kind of stuff. I'm a big Iron Chef fan going way back and super excited to help bring this idea to fruition. 

We wanted to give you a quick look at progress today on the character. We got some basic geo in place courtesy of our modeler, Paul Moya, and some anims courtesy of Chris Lam. The idea behind the chef characters is that they're in the vein of an Anthony Bourdain-style rock star chef. Experts at their craft, but maybe also staying out partying all night. You can hopefully get a sense of that from his idle.  

Chef_Idle.gif.0ba2094fb42988e18e0f5e385210b670.gif

The hope is that we'll do a female version as well. But with the two week time limit, we are focusing on this guy for now. The mustache just speaks to us, what can I say? This is just a first pass - the concept has evolved a bit already, and the model and anims will continue to get dialed in.

One other quick glimpse just for fun. Since the game relies a lot on player movement and platforming mechanics, we're using Raz to prototype some gameplay! In this gif, programmer Brian Anderle hooked up a trampoline to an egg dispenser. Imagine the possibilities for all manner of crazy food machines hooked up to various acrobatic moves.

cook.gif.1ccc508f357b820ea29dac7d7b8a2ba2.gif

See you tomorrow!

I'm getting a mouse trap/rube goldberg but instead of a one button and it moves, you have to run alongside the machine and hit the appropriate button at the right time feel here.

1 hour ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

I'm getting a mouse trap/rube goldberg but instead of a one button and it moves, you have to run alongside the machine and hit the appropriate button at the right time feel here.

This is exactly what we're planning (and more!), just not for the specific section shown in the gif. 

:)

There's not enough detail to know if it's intentional, but I really like how the chef's hat looks partially like a knight's helmet.

This is super exciting! Love the concept and the art so far. Looking forward to more!