Spaff

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing (Zak McClendon)

“I Have No Idea What I’m Doing” is a fast-paced VR party game where you need to rely on your friends outside VR to figure out who you are, where you are, and what the heck you’re supposed to be doing.

Each VR micro-game warps the you into a strange and befuddling situation for a short, timed challenge. Are you controlling a giant puppet head from inside? An octopus landing a plane? A baby president?

The fact is, you’ll have no idea what’s going on and you’ll need your friends outside VR to use clues they’re given to help you figure it out. Of course, they have no idea what’s happening either and the clock is ticking, so there’ll probably be a lot of yelling involved.

If you like your games to be surreal, social, and a little bit stupid, vote for “I Have No Idea What I’m Doing.”

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Really like this, though I only have PSVR so I doubt I'd be able to play the prototype. Still, it got a vote from me.

I don't even have a vr solution at all and I'm still voting for this one. I feel like asymmetric gameplay and VR can be a really good combination, especially in a weird party game like this.

I also have no what you're doing.  I don't understand the social element if it's VR.  Does the VR gets translated to a TV screen so your friends have a vague sense of what's happening just like you do?

I also like probably many of us have NO VR at this point... just not financially feasible outside of say Google Cardboard which isn't really VR I feel.

Still I'd like to see Double Fine explore VR more as one day I am sure it'll become more accessible.  Saying that, I'm a bit confused (which I guess is the point) on what this game is.  Maybe my lack of playing VR games is what's missing from the equation to understand?

Help?

(I am exploring each pitch and presenting questions to get a more informed decision when going to actually vote)

Hey! Zak here! 

Reid -- We'd probably play around with visualizations for the players outside of VR, but the fun is meant to come from the player in VR having to quickly explain the situation they're in to the folks outside.  Players outside of VR then have to use clues their given (displayed on the TV or, if we had time, on a tablet of phone) to help them figure out what to do. It's definitely meant to be engaging for both sides, so we'll probably want to fully reveal the situation to all players at the end of each micro-game.

For folks without access to a VR set, my hope is that the game will be as fun to watch as to play, but I totally get it if you want to throw your votes toward something you can play yourself afterwards. :)

Happy to answer any other questions, folks!

I'm sorta seeing this as warioware meets keep talking and nobody explodes, which makes sense to me.

34 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I'm sorta seeing this as warioware meets keep talking and nobody explodes, which makes sense to me.

That's the idea! I love Keep Talking, but but it gets really high stakes and stressful for casual, party play. I wanted there to be something like it, but closer to the silly, fun vibe of a Jackbox game or WarioWare (and also make a game that has fun with a lot of the basic dislocation / body confusion you get in VR).

I also wanted to pitch something that was pretty open-ended and weird, so that the DF team could have a lot of fun with it and let their imaginations run wild, without worrying about hitting a specific vibe or story tone. Should be fun, if we get to make it!

It reminds me of the "News Flash" game from "Whose Line is it Anyway?"

I would love to see something like this for mobileVR (Google cardboard/Daydream/Gear VR). I love keep talking but do not have a VR kit myself. This concept is very fun though and I love the name. I did feel a little like this when playing 1 2 switch recently and being thrown a controller before a pair of udders appeared. 

I really like the vibe of this game. A silly crazy game that's fun to play and watch too! 

I loved playing warioware and the idea of using your friends to help you play sounds like a good laugh. 

It also sounds like it'll be gathering fun to make as well. 

Good luck

Oh dear. We asked him for the title of his game and Zak accidentally posted the title of his resume. How embarrassing. :happytim:

j/k Zak, you're the man ;-)

If this game wins, watching the fine folks of DF play it with each other will be a joy!

Have no Oculus/HTC Vive. Have no interest in purchasing them.

But will vote for this game, because it is a great game idea.

A 'commercial' version of this game would need a legal disclaimer?

"If you play this party game in an inebriated state, we take absolutely no responsibility for puking all over your friends and furniture"?

17 hours ago, Klatuu said:

It reminds me of the "News Flash" game from "Whose Line is it Anyway?"

Oh, this is great reference, thanks! We will def look at (and play) some improve / parlor game type things like this if we end up making  this!

11 hours ago, Anemone said:

Oh dear. We asked him for the title of his game and Zak accidentally posted the title of his resume. How embarrassing. :happytim:

j/k Zak, you're the man ;-)

The title is definitely meant to be a reference to the fact that AF itself is a bit of an out of control thrill ride (and I haven't done it before). Trust me, we all feel like we have no idea what the hell we're doing in game development on a pretty regular basis. :)

31 minutes ago, Zak McClendon said:

The title is definitely meant to be a reference to the fact that AF itself is a bit of an out of control thrill ride (and I haven't done it before). Trust me, we all feel like we have no idea what the hell we're doing in game development on a pretty regular basis. :)

Phase 1: Pitch game idea

Phase 2: ?????

Phase 3: Profit!

Congratulations @Zak McClendon... here's hoping over the weekend you do "figure out what you're doing".  

Edited by Reid_Harris_Cooper
Jokes came across as passive aggressive when they were just jokes.

Congrats, Zak! I dig this concept and I'm looking forward to seeing how you grow it :)

All the shiny happy people. Can't wait to watch you guys rock this block! :D

I already said this on Twitter, but I think the folks where I work at Phosphor Games (makers of multiplatform VR game The Brookhaven Experiment, among others) would have a blast testing out the game, so let me know if you need external playtesting at any point.

@bobbyloxCheck the twittah machine.  Lots of updates there.  Be nice for forum updates too, but recall Zak is new to AF and in many cases the forums as he's been busy on the Psychonauts 2 work.

All the floppy things! Floppy hammers, floppy steaks... What's next? Floppy Disks? Floppy Flipps? Floppy Flipflops?

The sky is the limit!

Ooooh ooooh! Floppy sky! :D

We can do suggestions in here, right? A minigame that involves rapidly coating a surface by throwing eggs at it could be awesome.

14 hours ago, SL128 said:

We can do suggestions in here, right? A minigame that involves rapidly coating a surface by throwing eggs at it could be awesome.

ha Nice
What about a mini game where there is a large dinosaur and you have to feed it the right object based on what kind of teeth it has, a floppy t-bone steak if it has canine teeth, or some nice leafy greens it it has molars?

I'm here! Thanks to TimeGentleman for pasting in my Twitter updates -- I'm gong to start a thread for more general updates on our status and probably another thread for ideas and suggestions!

On 4/12/2017 at 8:25 PM, bobbylox said:

I already said this on Twitter, but I think the folks where I work at Phosphor Games (makers of multiplatform VR game The Brookhaven Experiment, among others) would have a blast testing out the game, so let me know if you need external playtesting at any point.

Thanks for the offer! I have no idea if we'll have time / bandwidth to figure out how to get builds to external folks, but we'll keep it in mind!