Double Fine Action Forums
Spaff

Urchin Squad (Jeremy Mitchell)

Urchin Squad is a 4 player cooperative first person shooter, where you play a team of teenage superhero hackers. Use complimentary cooperative special abilities and work together to fight back waves of evil authoritarian robots. Use unique skills and mobility gadgets to maneuver through alleys and rooftops, making your way through the urban sprawl to complete your mission - destroy the robot scumbags and take back your city.

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Those robot jerks are going to regret ever coming here \o/

Would you be keen to talk more about the kinds of mobility stuff you've got in mind and how that might manifest within the game?

Is this envisioned only as 4 player?  Is there a way to play it as single player and still succeed?

I love the idea of an FPS that goes in a new different direction, as long its one I can play.  Take COD style, but make it more accessible to a gamer who loves FPS but needs less frenetic and then make a new more crafted story?

Is that possible with this pitch or is it not even part of the vision?

4 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

Those robot jerks are going to regret ever coming here \o/

Would you be keen to talk more about the kinds of mobility stuff you've got in mind and how that might manifest within the game?

I think something that could make a co-op shooter more engaging is having characters with varied methods of moving around the environment. Each of the four characters would have a unique moveset. Maybe one guy can run on walls and double jump. Another character is super small and agile, so she cant sprint really fast and slide under the legs of the baddies. 

This stuff is cool on its own, but especially cool in combination. One player sprints toward an enemy, slides under their legs, and fires a shotgun blast upward sending them into air. Another player double jumps to finish them with a melee strike while they are still airborne.

You see a lot of that sort of thing in Overwatch and it works really well. The best aspects of the special abilities in that game in my opinion are when teammates combine their powers to create a more powerful action. Like Mei, who spawns an ice wall. Normally used for blocking enemies, but you can use it under teammates to boost them into unreachable spots. 

Traversal through the levels is another thing where mobility comes into play. You might find yoruself running through some sprawling alleys and side streets, fighting hordes of jerks, and it would be super rad to bounce off walls or zip over debris fluidly.

4 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

Is this envisioned only as 4 player?  Is there a way to play it as single player and still succeed?

I love the idea of an FPS that goes in a new different direction, as long its one I can play.  Take COD style, but make it more accessible to a gamer who loves FPS but needs less frenetic and then make a new more crafted story?

Is that possible with this pitch or is it not even part of the vision?

The multiplayer model for me is somewhere between Left 4 Dead and Payday. Stage-based levels where you have micro missions (hack the gate open while holding back against the incoming waves, then move through to another objective), or targeted stationary missions (Sneak into the bank and delete all the bitcoins) 

I think the core of the game is using the other players abilities in combination with your own, which might be pretty tricky to pull off with AI bots. It's certainly doable in a larger game, but for the sake of the prototype I can't imagine getting to that point. Good enemy AI is super hard on its own. Compelling buddy AI is something very very few games have ever done well, even with huge budgets!

Okay, I cancel my community pitch for the lost dev team and replace it with Jeremy's pitch, which I am reading as:

"It's like the lost vikings, but there are four vikings, three dimensions, and they all have really big guns."

I'LL TAKE IT.

;-)

9 hours ago, Jeremy Mitchell said:

I think something that could make a co-op shooter more engaging is having characters with varied methods of moving around the environment. Each of the four characters would have a unique moveset. Maybe one guy can run on walls and double jump. Another character is super small and agile, so she cant sprint really fast and slide under the legs of the baddies. 

This stuff is cool on its own, but especially cool in combination. One player sprints toward an enemy, slides under their legs, and fires a shotgun blast upward sending them into air. Another player double jumps to finish them with a melee strike while they are still airborne.

You see a lot of that sort of thing in Overwatch and it works really well. The best aspects of the special abilities in that game in my opinion are when teammates combine their powers to create a more powerful action. Like Mei, who spawns an ice wall. Normally used for blocking enemies, but you can use it under teammates to boost them into unreachable spots. 

Traversal through the levels is another thing where mobility comes into play. You might find yoruself running through some sprawling alleys and side streets, fighting hordes of jerks, and it would be super rad to bounce off walls or zip over debris fluidly.

I'm a big fan of alternative movement styles and mechanics. Years ago I made a small ice skating combat FPS where instead of using traditional WASD controls, you alternate between A and D to gain momentum (forwards or backwards depending on whether W or S is held down). As a base it was fun to work with, but I've always wished that I was able explore ways to build in carving and skidding mechanics where accelerating turns and sudden stops could be made use of to zip around enemies and through more complex environments.

The traversal stuff you mentioned is what gets me excited. I'm looking forward to seeing how the mobility stuff you've got in mind can augment more traditional FPS controls in Urchin Squad :)

I don't really like to pitch this way, but it's fun to see inspirations laid out like this, so here's kinda the general makeup of my ideas:

inspiration.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Mitchell

Okay, I need more clarification on how Jamie Hewlett's madcap beasties fit the vision.  Do you want story to be super abstract yet also somehow easy to follow?

Or do you mean something else?

(I've watched Phase 1 and Phase 2 multiple times... I'm both lost and get it)

Words cannot express how badly I want this one to make it in. The art used in the pitch is fantastic, too. Kind of reminds me of Marek Jarocki.

1 hour ago, MrJaunty said:

Words cannot express how badly I want this one to make it in. The art used in the pitch is fantastic, too. Kind of reminds me of Marek Jarocki.

It *is* Marek Jarocki :) He did a killer job on those drawings huh?

One day, one day maybe we'll see more Urchin Squad. I can't get those kids out of my head :P

On 4/7/2017 at 6:09 PM, Jeremy Mitchell said:

It *is* Marek Jarocki :) He did a killer job on those drawings huh?

One day, one day maybe we'll see more Urchin Squad. I can't get those kids out of my head :P

Oh wow that's incredible! I'll definitely be holding a torch for this one, it's a really great idea :P

How did you guys know each other? 

Edited by MrJaunty