Spaff

Kiln (Derek Brand)

Kiln is a multiplayer, team-based brawler with a focus on creating unique player sculpted characters featuring crazy physics-based animation and destruction. In Kiln you play as a Mountain Spirit, supernatural beings forever at war on the summit. You’ll use an ancient pottery wheel to create warrior golems called Vessels, inhabiting them and enabling you to interact with the physical realm to do battle. Created during the match, extremely diverse character shapes and sizes are possible each exhibiting unique attributes and controls that leverage the possibilities in procedural animation. Collect resources to build larger and better equipped Vessels, advance into enemy territory, and enjoy the destruction of artisan pottery with Kiln!

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Hi! If you have any questions or comments about my pitch I'd love to hear them and will try and reply.  Also help yourself to a gif, on the house.

kilngif.gif

Edited by Derek Brand

Hollywood Suite movies movie film 90s GIF
Somebody had to be the first ;-).

Now the real question: How do you in envision the pottery wheel to work and how do you want to determinate the stats for the characters?

I love the visual concept here, but as I am someone who is not into multi-player games in any fashion (and probably never will be from a playing standpoint... market, develop, sure... play?  never), do you see a single player option that will work?

Is it meant to be just an arena brawler with a really cool visual element of pottery or something.... more?  I feel arena brawlers can definitely be single player if AI is devised strong enough.

(I'm presenting questions to each pitch of what I feel I need to know more about to make a better informed decision before actually voting)

2 hours ago, gulstar said:

Hollywood Suite movies movie film 90s GIF
Somebody had to be the first ;-).

Now the real question: How do you in envision the pottery wheel to work and how do you want to determinate the stats for the characters?

Thanks for contributing that obligatory gif :) perfect.

Currently I'm thinking the pottery wheel and making pots in general will take the place of a "respawn".  Since this is something that will happen during the match itself it will have to be fast.  Analogue sticks/mouse control will probably be used to make the shape as well as a rhythmic button press.  The button press will get more and more difficult to control as you get bigger and more complicated on the wheel so skill will be involved to get the best shapes/sizes out of it.

As far as the stats, I want to try and make the stats based purely on physical attributes of the Vessels themselves.  Wide bases will have a wider stance, tall pots will be less stable, top heavy pots will be harder to control, etc.  That said, arm and leg type will help bring more depth to this with different lengths/strengths of limbs or weapon attachments as well as the placement of the face which is a critical weak point of the Vessel. 

2 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

I love the visual concept here, but as I am someone who is not into multi-player games in any fashion (and probably never will be from a playing standpoint... market, develop, sure... play?  never), do you see a single player option that will work?

Is it meant to be just an arena brawler with a really cool visual element of pottery or something.... more?  I feel arena brawlers can definitely be single player if AI is devised strong enough.

(I'm presenting questions to each pitch of what I feel I need to know more about to make a better informed decision before actually voting)

I definitely understand if it's not your style but for sure this is designed as purely a multiplayer game.

The pottery element will be much deeper than just a visual theme.  The shapes you make will directly affect how your character moves and fights.  And you'll be sculpting them in realtime during the match. Also as a Vessel, there is opportunity there for powerups relating to liquids/plants/oils etc that you can fill yourself up with and use in battle.

Hope this clears things up! Thanks for taking the time to check it out. 

@KestrelPi: Thanks!!!!!

@fargetv: Thank you!!!

I love this concept Derek and wish you the best of luck in the voting! On the fly editing has a place in my heart ever since I made a little top down competitive asteroids game where the lobby was also the level editor and each round started with players spending a little time waiting for other players and building the level. I can imagine the pots in Kiln having amazing patterns and colours as well as shape. Somehow I am imagining it in 2D but would it be a 3D game with your mention of physics driven animation?

Hi, Derek , very cool idea. 

Was also going to ask if this is 2D or 3D based? 

How many players are you thinking of supporting? 

I think this idea has a lot of potential. Good luck 

@nettleflap: yeah for sure gotta have some fire in there! Thanks!

@jctwood: Thanks! That Asteroids game sounds cool. I love games that involve creating things. Something I'd love to try is player-made patterns they could use to personalize their Vessels, but that's out of scope for the prototype I think.  More patterns and color is something I would want on the Vessels though! I didn't get a chance to explore that much for the pitch video. Also this is definitely a 3d game, 3rd person camera so you can really enjoy getting in different Vessels and running around.

@KGuNN: Thanks!  3d! See above :) Ideally this would be a 4vs4 multiplayer team-based game.  This gives you a big enough team to try some interesting tactics like having someone focusing on building Vessels for the attacking team or a couple people going out to gather resources while another couple defend the base. Depending on how things pan out that could easily change but that's my initial wish.

Quite a change from Mnemonic...

This is a really fun concept. I love the idea about constructing a new unit during a respawn time. Would this be something where you have as much time as you'd like to mold the new unit, which seems to lead to decisions about taking the time to properly construct yourself or to get back onto the playing field quickly at the cost of a poorly sculpted unit, or would there be a fixed time so that you really need to nail some quick control combinations to have a good unit.

Obviously, the above question would not need to be decided until much later in the development process, but it is really fun to think about all the options.

Good luck, Derek.

I like the idea of tempory buff, pools of glaze. that when you walk through it and gaze yourself it alters your stats until it wears off.  well aware that this would be a stretch goal for amnesia fortnight as you've got a lot to to do in only 2 weeks.

@rheberling: I'm almost certain that the construction of the Vessels should happen during the match.  Essentially this takes up the time that would normally be used as a respawn countdown.  There will be a tradeoff between making the perfect one and getting one out quickly so you can get back out on the field and I think that will be a fun tension especially as part of a team! This also helps cut down on waiting for other players to finish their masterpiece before a match can start.  

@wot fanar: Yeah for sure! Buffs and powerups should be fun and I hope there is time to include them if it goes to the prototype stage! Thanks for the interest!

Perhaps you could have a game mode where the teams compete to collect the most water (or some other valuable liquid) from a central source. So a bigger pot could carry more, but would be slower and might be a higher target for the opposing team to take down.

@tonber: yeah! That's a cool idea. There are all sorts of possible game modes that could be made after establishing solid vessel creation and combat.  It all comes down to how much time there is to do it. 

22 hours ago, Derek Brand said:

I'm almost certain that the construction of the Vessels should happen during the match.  Essentially this takes up the time that would normally be used as a respawn countdown.  There will be a tradeoff between making the perfect one and getting one out quickly so you can get back out on the field and I think that will be a fun tension especially as part of a team! This also helps cut down on waiting for other players to finish their masterpiece before a match can start.  

Sounds great! Thanks for the response.

Congrats @Derek Brand.

Enjoy this win!  

I know I'm going to love the concept arts for this.

Edited by Reid_Harris_Cooper
comments deemed possibly inapproriate and held onto for during dev time with maybe less grit?

Congrats Derek! Looking forward to seeing Kiln brought to life! I know you'll do great :D

Congrats, Derek!

I have to admit, I didn't vote for Kiln, but now, as I'm rewatching AF2014, I'm looking forward to see how you've grown since then, and what you've learned.

Even though I'm not a fan of multiplayer only games, Kiln has me excited from the documentary point of view.

Good luck, and I hope you have fun with your endeavor! :)

23 minutes ago, Talahar said:

Congrats, Derek!

I have to admit, I didn't vote for Kiln, but now, as I'm rewatching AF2014, I'm looking forward to see how you've grown since then, and what you've learned.

Even though I'm not a fan of multiplayer only games, Kiln has me excited from the documentary point of view.

Good luck, and I hope you have fun with your endeavor! :)

That is indeed my feelings too.  I'm going to really enjoy seeing KILN be developed and even maybe gain an appreciation for a genre I have had trouble exploring.

Kiln was one of my picks, so I was really happy to see it got through. The concept reminded me of something eccentric that you'd see from the PS2 era.

Good luck Derek! 

Like I said in another thread, to me AF is more about the journey than the destination.

I know I'll enjoy the hell out of the documentary videos, :)

41 minutes ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

Really hoping Derek posts all that awesome spirit concept art here.  

I second that wholeheartedly. :)