Spaff

Kiln (Derek Brand)

50 posts in this topic

Chalice shards are what imbue vessels with life, and their battles are the forging process that results in the next cycle's Massive Chalice \o/

I've actually recently played a game that used a pottery wheel mechanism in it, maybe that could bring some inspiration on that aspect:

Please, please, please for all that is good and fun in this world have the tagline be: "Get Smashed!"

Will the game include an easter egg that, if found, plays "Unchained Melody" while you create your fighter?

They look enthusiastic and capable, and like they are ready to reenact that scene from Ghost! :D

The breakdown of these teams seem so amazing because I could be wrong but there's some real experimenting of people working together here which is awesome.

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone! Derek's in the zone writing design docs and making concept art right now so I wanted to pop in and show you summa today's progress:

potsmash.gif.4df6a022fec8b877d5f74d83ad8eea52.gif

We have an early implementation of the possession system and health and, if you look closely, you can see that the pot cracks as you take damage before shattering once its health reaches zero! (shout out to @Jeremy Mitchell for that)

We got a lot of work to do on the animation system and combat still, and the programmers are working hard to setup multiplayer and sculpting. Hopefully we'll have more info for you on those things next week, but for now we hope you enjoy the pot smashing.

Have a good weekend everybody!

Edited by Michael Tucker

Wow looks great. Looks like it's coming along very well. 

When I look at those shattering pots I can already here the sound! :D

You should have a Chakra system:

Chakra-Poster-PhuketCleanse.jpg

Each vertically aligned point is associated with a different characteristics.

So the pots you craft could have different characteristics based on which chakras they are widest at, and which they at narrowest at.

So a pot widest at the base/root chakra could be better at surviving hits (i.e. higher crit hit resist chance/higher defense), but narrowest at the solar plexus chakra so worse at power moves (i.e. lower crit hit ratio/ weaker charged attacks)

I think Chakra would also work well with the game's aesthetic.

3 hours ago, Block42 said:

The big question is: What does a sexual pot look like?

@Derek BrandI demand concept art for that :3

I'm scared, and a little bit excited. Mostly scared, though.

I think having different abilities\skills\attributes determined by the width of different regions of the pots is a great idea. When thinking about how pot shape could impact gameplay, my first thought was about weight and balance. Perhaps a bottom-heavy pot could have good defensive properties and stable balance when impacted upon, and a top-heavy pot could have a more impactful hammer-like attack, but also a longer recovery time from falls and missed attacks. I like the idea of each design being a practical trade-off of some kind.

I see two possible approaches to how this kind of trading-off could happen;

1. There is a certain amount of allowed 'width', and the more you use in one region the less you have left to use elsewhere. In this case each region of the pot is essentially a single skill or attribute, and wider is better. The skills could be something like (from top to bottom):

Attack Speed
Attack type 1 strength
Attack type 2 strength
HP
Stamina
Movement Speed
Stability

-- or --

2. There is no limitation placed on the shapes you can make, but each region of the pot is a balance between two opposing skills, so your chosen width is like selecting a ratio that shares points between two skills. The skills could be something like (from top to bottom):

Attack speed vs Attack strength for type 1 attacks
Attack speed vs Attack strength for type 2 attacks
Stamina vs HP
Movement Speed vs Stability

Meaning that when a region is thinnest, the left attribute gets the most points, and when it is fattest, the right attribute gets the most points. There could also be a tradeoff between different types of attacks (Attack type 1 effectiveness vs Attack type 2 effectiveness)

Just thinking out loud. It's a fun pitch and I can't wait to see the prototype unfold, and then to try it out!

Posted (edited)

Great job and many thanks for this great prototype game! although i assume you already have some thoughts about this game, i've made some suggestions for further development! 

kiln.jpg

Edited by mikiemen
re-edit image

Posted (edited)

About organic implementation of new stuff (fingers crossed)

Just rewatching the multiplayer session stream. Iirc it wasn't mentioned how you would you would fit additional gimmicks like power-ups into the game: Maybe it's viable to stretch the idea of the bored greater spirit. In the "Gods must be hungry" universe, the duty at hand is celebrated by making a colourful event out of it. The tone in "Kiln" is a little different, but why not have the greater spirit comment how boring the battle is, and her spice it up a bit, etc.?

Balancing and power-ups

Say the kiln health points are 90% for team A and 50% B. Greater spirit moans how one-sided this is and, in order to adjust the balance, drops a bunch of ready-made pots or power-ups for  (currently) losing team B. As soon as the difference in health points have shrunk, she leaves another remark and stops the support.

Such actions could also help fight back spawnkilling ( I dunno whether this is or will be an issue).

Player communication

Although it seems it was the time restrictions that kept the voice-acting at the essential minimum, the voiceless-ness of the grumpy flying buttballs is what makes them cute to me. If the aim was to keep their characteristics in a future full game version, a player's cry for help could also be uttered by a nonchalant remark of the greater spirit.

Example: A player of the green team wishes for support in battle, and thus hits the according key/button.
Greater one: "Ha, looks like that fat lil' fella could use some help." (maybe with a hint of the location, like "at the fountain" or "on the cliff"

In case the developers would like to be the team size not bigger than a dozen, this hint would be sufficient enough since
a) Kiln is no Quake, so the gameplay speed and clear map design allows for a HUD-less manual looking for the mate in trouble
b) in such smaller teams like imagined above, it is very likely each player takes his distinct role for his team: You won't have to check for 4 mates of the same visual characteristics simply because there aren't that many.
c) this would even add an element of thrill to it since it is a general cry for attention - 'general' meaning 'percetable for both teams'. As a result, both teams are likely to react and so the dynamic of the wole battle is affected. While this whole idea may be too krass, it would definitely suit the character of the greater spirit.

TL;DR All ideas about power-ups and communication could be implemented believably via the greater spirit.

PS: Please help me improve my comma game since I am no native English speaker.

Edited by Franklyn
Additional thoughts; structuring

Posted (edited)

On 2017-6-3 at 0:57 AM, Franklyn said:

About organic implementation of new stuff (fingers crossed)

Just rewatching the multiplayer session stream. Iirc it wasn't mentioned how you would you would fit additional gimmicks like power-ups into the game: Maybe it's viable to stretch the idea of the bored greater spirit. In the "Gods must be hungry" universe, the duty at hand is celebrated by making a colourful event out of it. The tone in "Kiln" is a little different, but why not have the greater spirit comment how boring the battle is, and her spice it up a bit, etc.?

Balancing and power-ups

Say the kiln health points are 90% for team A and 50% B. Greater spirit moans how one-sided this is and, in order to adjust the balance, drops a bunch of ready-made pots or power-ups for  (currently) losing team B. As soon as the difference in health points have shrunk, she leaves another remark and stops the support.

Such actions could also help fight back spawnkilling ( I dunno whether this is or will be an issue).

Player communication

Although it seems it was the time restrictions that kept the voice-acting at the essential minimum, the voiceless-ness of the grumpy flying buttballs is what makes them cute to me. If the aim was to keep their characteristics in a future full game version, a player's cry for help could also be uttered by a nonchalant remark of the greater spirit.

Example: A player of the green team wishes for support in battle, and thus hits the according key/button.
Greater one: "Ha, looks like that fat lil' fella could use some help." (maybe with a hint of the location, like "at the fountain" or "on the cliff"

In case the developers would like to be the team size not bigger than a dozen, this hint would be sufficient enough since
a) Kiln is no Quake, so the gameplay speed and clear map design allows for a HUD-less manual looking for the mate in trouble
b) in such smaller teams like imagined above, it is very likely each player takes his distinct role for his team: You won't have to check for 4 mates of the same visual characteristics simply because there aren't that many.
c) this would even add an element of thrill to it since it is a general cry for attention - 'general' meaning 'percetable for both teams'. As a result, both teams are likely to react and so the dynamic of the wole battle is affected. While this whole idea may be too krass, it would definitely suit the character of the greater spirit.

TL;DR All ideas about power-ups and communication could be implemented believably via the greater spirit.

PS: Please help me improve my comma game since I am no native English speaker.

is it possible to add a chat function in kiln ? to talk to other players? 

like Franklyn mentioned 

and a server list perhaps to add people on steam ? 

Edited by mikiemen
oops