Double Fine Action Forums
Spaff

A Slice of Heaven (Brian Anderle)

"A Slice of Heaven" is a space-themed rail shooter in the style of Starfox 64. The player controls Frey, the commander of an elite squad of fighter pilots, as she flies across a plethora of beautiful, exotic landscapes, routing the enemy forces wreaking havoc. On your journey you'll be accompanied by your loyal crew. As you complete missions and overcome challenges, you'll get to upgrade your allies to make them better at taking out enemies, defending objectives, spawning items, finding weak points, or even finding new hidden paths that lead to entirely different missions! And whether you succeed or fail, these upgrades will still be there the next time you play, increasing the effectiveness of your squad until you can finally uncover the mystery behind the evil empire, and Frey herself.

Vote for this to be one of the prototypes we make over on Humble.com

Hi friends!

I'm Brian, and this is my pitch.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  If you have any questions, ask away!  Or you can just meme Starfox quotes at me.

Both are fine.

Is this entirely space-focused, or do you transition to and from planets as well like in Starfox 64? (That's the only SF I know!)

And I gotta ask: can those squadmates be co-op buddies, or do you see this as single player only?

I watched just a couple clips of Starfox 64 to get a better idea (shoot me I was never a Nintendo guy till the Wii and even that was mostly for Madworld and No More Heroes, etc.).

Anyways... the rail seemed not have you stay on it causing the ship to disappear off the screen and the aiming system seems very poor.  

Are these concerns in developing a modern version, even in a prototype you would want to be tackling or attempting to improve upon before adding elements?

Brian, help! I'm trying to vote for your game but there's a bogey on my tail!

300px-Slippy643D1.png

I like this idea but a voice in my head is telling me "Be careful it's a trap!"

Just kidding, everyone vote for this.

On 4/4/2017 at 5:34 PM, Vic Romero said:

Is this entirely space-focused, or do you transition to and from planets as well like in Starfox 64? (That's the only SF I know!)

And I gotta ask: can those squadmates be co-op buddies, or do you see this as single player only?

I envision a variety of locales, many of which are planets with exotic environments.

The squadmates would be AI-controlled only.

On 4/4/2017 at 9:46 PM, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

I watched just a couple clips of Starfox 64 to get a better idea (shoot me I was never a Nintendo guy till the Wii and even that was mostly for Madworld and No More Heroes, etc.).

Anyways... the rail seemed not have you stay on it causing the ship to disappear off the screen and the aiming system seems very poor.  

Are these concerns in developing a modern version, even in a prototype you would want to be tackling or attempting to improve upon before adding elements?

Moving and shooting are the most fundamental actions the player can take, so yeah, there would definitely be a lot of focus on making them feel good.  For example, it was often really difficult to tell if your wing was going to clip into an obstacle as you were approaching it (that is to say, depth perception was a problem).  These are the types of issues teams would be tweaking for months and months, all the way leading up to release, but I think we can get something pretty good in two weeks. :D

To everyone who voted:

https://usebombswisely.com/shouldbethankful

I love it, It's got my vote.

I'd like to request/suggest one thing, though.  Could you include a local co-op (or even networked for that matter) where one player pilots (perhaps with a simple forward pea-shooter) and the second is the gunner?  Anyhow just a thought.