• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.

58 minutes ago, kednar said:

Maybe it inspires a superpower to unleash the ball frenzy?

Cool idea. 

Perhaps the multi ball event can be triggered by lighting up switches across the board. When they are all lit a hole or something appears and players need to get the ball into the hole, or other difficult place on the board, to trigger event. 

The team that triggers it could get a slight advantage by getting bonus points or having less balls drop on their side.

18 hours ago, KGuNN said:

Also something that was mentioned in the other thread (which thread are we going to use to discuss ideas etc.?) was the scoring system.   The idea of multiplying/building up a score, by hitting the elements around the board and then securing those points by getting the ball past the oppositions goal, sounds like it'll be very exciting and tense. 

I like that! That would make a lot of sense.

I have one a small suggestion: If the physics engine is up to it, have a small, but not insignificant change of getting a geometrically challenged ball. It's only just not spherical enough to roll strait, so it might take a few hits to notice that something's off.

13 hours ago, Geek95 said:

Will there be a Bad Golf themed table?

I hope so :D

21 hours ago, KGuNN said:

which thread are we going to use to discuss ideas etc.?

For now, brainstorm stuff anywhere ^_^

We'll probably have people move things that they want to pursue over to GitHub based todo lists where we can iron things out after the 12th.

1 hour ago, Feddlefew said:

I have one a small suggestion: If the physics engine is up to it, have a small, but not insignificant change of getting a geometrically challenged ball. It's only just not spherical enough to roll strait, so it might take a few hits to notice that something's off.

We still need to nail this stuff down a bit, but I would personally love to see contributed balls include their collision mesh and some base physical properties.

Hi folks,

I'm gonna step back from the music side of this for the time being. I've had a really promising game music opportunity come up and I'm gonna focus on that. However I am still interested on this from a design/iteration perspective, so would still very much like to be part of those discussion.

On 4/10/2017 at 8:08 AM, Feddlefew said:

lol wacky idea this would definitely make the game more interesting in the long run. I just imagine players going for a multi-ball power-up only to find that one of the balls is a pyramid shape or a big rubix-cube or a ROCK like in the Peanuts comic. LOL ppl might like that.

I've been wondering if the objective is to hit the player with the ball (like dodgeball? plz add a "super shield" that launches the ball back at the firing player if it is, and "super shot" that goes through objects to keep things interesting). Or is it about getting the ball past the player to a specific  goal (like soccer or hockey or pinball or pong)?

Its been mentioned that there may be multiple boards so you literally can go anywhere with this--cool idea! 

Im off the next 3 days and super excited, so let us know when y'all get that github list. I'll be happy if I can help just a little bit.

Edited by Don Grant

This seems like a perfect candidate for a mobile game (particularly local multiplayer on a tablet sounds like fun) but I'm guessing that is not on the table due to publishing issues? Is this strictly a desktop game? Depending on the control system you had in mind web may be an easy port (just something like itch.io would be fine). Throwing this out there now because I am assuming that you probably had Unity Matchmaker in mind but there is no WebGL support for that so if you wanted to also do web you may want to go with an alternate like Photon.

As far as some design ideas to throw in the mix, maybe hitting certain pinball elements in the field will throw power ups (or downs) to one of the players/paddles. For example, shrink paddles, grow paddles, safety bumper, slow motion, frozen, spawn extra ball, etc.

Locking this thread in preparation for moving to a subforum for active development.