Double Fine Action Forums

I'm developing assets for possible use and will hold on to them.  It looks like Pongball is pretty far in the lead though so might as well lead forward quick.

5 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

Tilt was something we discussed when working the pitches. There's something really nice about the risk vs reward proposition of tilting. If you take a peek at lightsoda's concept piece, the bottom left of the top four screens shows a tilt scenario.

Oh yeah! Just saw that now. My bad haha.

I've been thinking about a few things that differentiate this from a regular pinball game that we'd have to think about in the early stages:

• For pinball like physics the best structure I can think of is to have the table curved in a way that makes it like a hill to get over to get to the other player's side. If we just want a flat table, then I imagine this controlling more like pong or shufflepuck or something, where the ball is slidey, but that might not get across the pinball-y feel.
  • Launching the ball - how will this work? It'd have to be different from pinball in some ways. I thought of it being launched into a sort of randomiser machine which pushes the ball one way or another, or maybe some other mechanic
  • We should think of various ways to make it more than just two games of pinball stuck to each other. So one example I thought of is what if you could hit some sort of target which raises a set of barriers, that the ball can pass through when going in one direction, but will bounce in the other direction. So you hit the target and that gives the opponent a harder time getting the ball past to you, while you can still shoot through it.

@KestrelPi All good thoughts!

We've had some brief discussions about having triggers/targets change the environment to the advantage/disadvantage of players, and that feels like a strong/fun mechanic to poke around with. Maybe some could also change ball behaviour? (change size, reverse velocity, change bounciness?)

We've also been thinking about how to handle keeping the ball moving - having a hill shaped playing area feels like it's a good possibility, though we'd also talked about giving the ball a consistent minimum velocity. Thinking about "superpowers", there's possibly also scope for a Shatter-style pull/push mechanic on a cooldown that might change how we think about this problem?

I was thinking about launching last night, and it feels like having some tennis/ping pong style "serve" role that cycles between players might be the way to go. That could work with a traditional pinball style launcher or just having a stationary ball appear in front of the player. In my mind, it feels like something that players can aim and potentially hit an "ace" with is likely to have the right kind of tension/opportunity to it.

As we get closer to wrapping up the voting period, I wanted to share a few extra snippets. Here's a look at the quick 3D level mockup I used as a base for the paintover you can see in the pitch video. This doesn't really have much in the way of conscious level design to it - I was more interested in having a base that I could use to explore some tone possibilities. If I'd had more time, I'd have liked to have done several paintovers with different aesthetics (maybe one that looks like it's in a world made of candy, or another that looks like it's set in a victorian hedge maze) to help highlight the way that the game might embrace varying styles from different contributors.

concept_table_plan.png.ab12cd1187ec6843f02564e259b49c82.pngconcept_table_solid.png.588be6afa90721e245c42bef6399834a.png

8 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

As we get closer to wrapping up the voting period, I wanted to share a few extra snippets. Here's a look at the quick 3D level mockup I used as a base for the paintover you can see in the pitch video. This doesn't really have much in the way of conscious level design to it - I was more interested in having a base that I could use to explore some tone possibilities. If I'd had more time, I'd have liked to have done several paintovers with different aesthetics (maybe one that looks like it's in a world made of candy, or another that looks like it's set in a victorian hedge maze) to help highlight the way that the game might embrace varying styles from different contributors.

concept_table_plan.png.ab12cd1187ec6843f02564e259b49c82.pngconcept_table_solid.png.588be6afa90721e245c42bef6399834a.png

Yeah it's definitely a good base to work off of. Looking forward to seeing how levels mix things up!

Speaking selfishly as someone who would quite like to be in the music side, I'd definitely be in favour of exploring visual approaches which suggest musical approaches other than thumping electronic background music, just because that's not really my wheelhouse

The serve style launch sounds like a great idea.

Could have the mechanic work by having the ball sat in front of a paddle and a meter shows with a moving bar and if you time it right it will launch quickly. Perhaps you can slighty adjust where the ball is position so you can try and aim it.

@KestrelPi Just like there might be different types of arenas in terms of style, there could be different types of music. Or even have it be interactive in some way, but that might be too ambitious.

@KGuNN I could see that working, we could also have "launchers" placed on the playing field. Serving would probably be good when the ball goes out on your side.

58 minutes ago, lightsoda said:

Also thanks for voting. I suppose the voting period is over now.

This is actually cool.   

Would you be willing to break the assets down for remixing?  I think that'd be a cool way for the game to stay "thematic" but keep it interesting.   I was going to work on my own theme from pinball and pong elements but yeah....

What kind of communication tools will the team use? Discord? Skype? Any preferences? 

Voting is over. Pongball has been selected as the primary community project! Thanks for helping us pick, everyone! We'll have some posts up later today with some more information on how things are going to work from here. Development will kick off on the 12th!

Congratulations pongball! Really interesting concept, I actually have a remarkably similar prototype from not that long ago. Would love to help out somehow!

21 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

I really like this board. This game reminds me of "Breakout" a little, but with more people. The way this is designed, you could just have players shoot balls up the slides to score power ups (like "strong shot" or "super bumper" or just "multi-ball!!" if it's easier) AND the VERTICAL BUMPERS (not the round ones) could represent points or life. or whatever. Man this game looks FUN already! so jelly!

Also "twinball" is the best name ever for multiplayer pinball :) lol man I feel like a real noob today.

Edited by Don Grant

Congrats on winning the community vote! :)

I'd love to contribute on the programming side of the game, but I have very little experience with game development, so we'll see how that goes. 

It might be too early to say, but is there going to be more than one board /level for this prototype? 

I saw mention about possible themes for different levels, one being a hedge maze one which I find really exciting. I'd love to design and build a level with that theme, with some help if others are interested. 

Yep! We're definitely looking toward allowing the game to support multiple tables/levels/boards (we'll need to come up with some common terms at some point so that everybody's on the same page!). I think there's a lot of possibility space to explore, both with aesthetics and level design, and it would be a shame to limit where the game can go on those fronts!

Awesome! We can have a lot of fun with different ideas, like a space theme or even a Double Fine themed board. 

Also something that was mentioned in the other thread (which thread are we going to use to discuss ideas etc.?) was the scoring system.   The idea of multiplying/building up a score, by hitting the elements around the board and then securing those points by getting the ball past the oppositions goal, sounds like it'll be very exciting and tense. 

I'm just waiting to see how things pan out in one of these matches when someone unleashes a multi-ball ;-)

I used to play 'Battle Dome'. A 4 players pinball-like board game, where balls would continuously fall into the board and players kicked them out of their goals with flippers.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6112/battle-dome&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj0v_zt8JnTAhWGzRoKHdf4AXQQFggLMAA&sig2=iCxfDkGSvz-0gRX7iJA9Cg&usg=AFQjCNEG_Mkvtp5zffLHGORVRxhu2NPUOw

Maybe it inspires a superpower to unleash the ball frenzy?