Double Fine Action Forums

This game concept was initially suggested by @TimeGentleman and refined into the following pitch by a group of community members. For more details on that, see this thread!

To see current development progress and participate, visti the Amnesia Adventure subforum!

"Amnesia Adventure is an adventure game about a retired adventurer travelling into their memories to solve a mystery. The story lends itself to community input with differeing styles and skill levels. Art, dialogue, characterisation, and storytelling from the community can be a total mix, as we travel through memories of fighting a beast on Enok VII, getting lost in the supermarket as a child, unsuccessfully learning wizardry or being a cop in the 1970s... or was that a TV show they watched once?"

Presented by @TimeGentleman

Amnesia Adventure is an adventure game about an adventurer travelling into their memories. A story designed to facilitate community input, it allows for multiple stories set within one broader context, all potentially with their own art style. Pieces of art from members of the community with differing levels of artistic skill and styles will comfortable sit next to each other because memory is a fickle thing. It will be a diverse set of life experiences, from that time they fought the beast on Enok VII, to the time they got lost in the supermarket as a child, so even dialogue, characterisation and storytelling from the community can be a real mix.

The community would be involved at every stage. A development schedule might be: we all spend a day or two brainstorming location, story and character ideas; once they're relatively locked down, a list is created of art submissions, public domain sound sourcing, dialogue required for the community to contribute to. In the meantime, placeholder art is used to construct the game, taking community suggestions on puzzle ideas etc as we go. And hey, if no one likes the “adventurer travelling into their memories” jazz, that could be discussed too!

Concept art by @lightsoda @TimeGentleman @Bidiot Bales and @Cheeseness

1cBHhOg.thumb.png.b7b667238113cf9814c6e096c9d92bcf.pnglightsoda.thumb.png.e550ed82a4fef84e47f99dec8b928369.pnggVB31M2.thumb.png.17e3daa4a6866ad58033712e984336e6.pngoOw5UDN.thumb.png.70b088c5100f5210258ef86a9fdedfc3.pngRGKXFmX.thumb.png.e7eb3084d9b42d5a1a744f5f7dc83821.png70s_cop_scene.thumb.png.23422b0537ef89afad3844d7320ccc3c.png

That sounds great, thanks y'all!

Okay, so in the meantime, shall we do some story brainstorming on here? So far we have (and bear in mind any of this can be changed or scrapped):

A retired adventurer travels into their memories to solve a mystery.

Memories include that time they:

fought the beast on Enok VII

got lost in the supermarket as a child

crash-landed on a medieval planet and settled down in a happy relationship for a few years, but clashes with the local lord would soon lead to tragic consequences

were a cop in the 1970s (or was that a tv show they watched once?)

were in a black and white mansion (another fake memory?)

studied wizardry

So, questions we should ask ourselves:

Who is this adventurer? Species? Gender? Race? Character traits? History?

Why did they retire?

What is the mystery they have to solve?

Why do they have to solve it?

How do they travel into their memories?

Which of these memories do we like? What other cool ideas for memories do we have?

I love how this embraces the different art styles, gameplay styles and different ideas that will undoubtedly happen with so many people from around the world working from pure excitement.

Weaving them together in any sane way is going to be interesting, but with just a few hooks, I'm sure players/developers can figure how it all makes sense. : D

23 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

gVB31M2.thumb.png.17e3daa4a6866ad58033712e984336e6.png

I love these visuals so much!

Good luck @TimeGentleman, as I mentioned in the voting thread, I really hope your idea wins because of community potential!

What tone would you be interested in having? Based on your pitch and concept art, it seems that the adventure might be best suited for humor, with plenty of "what the fudge" moments as the player switches between memory to memory.

Thanks for the support, all!

@VideoGameScrapBook - I'll just paste what I wrote in the main thread here:

I just want to clarify that although I presented the pitch, I won't necessarily be lead designer or anything like that (this may be the same for all three pitches, not sure). I've got a chunk of four days in the fortnight that I can dedicate to the game, but otherwise I just started a new job that will take up a lot of my time and energy so I don't want to commit to the whole thing and then let people down. Hopefully the people willing to fill various positions will come to the fore in the early stages of whichever pitch is chosen.

Regarding the disjointedness, I think we could probably come up with a few puzzles to make it less linear - for example in the concept art there's an alien plant that pops up in a few, and 'mirage' and 'water' signs to be swapped!

Regarding tone, I think a mix again could be good. It probably will lend itself mostly to comedy and adventure, but I think you could definitely have some pathos in there too. For the concept art with the hut and castle in the background, I imagined that the character had crash-landed on a medieval planet and settled down in a happy relationship for a few years, but clashes with the local lord would soon lead to tragic consequences. Also the fact that it's a retired adventurer looking back at their life, perhaps not completely sure of their memories, might give it a bittersweet feel.

@TimeGentleman, yeah it's certainly even more challenging to do a jam like this whenever a lot of us can't focus on the project full time like the people at Double Fine will be able to. I'm sure some of us will only have a few hours total spread throughout the week. Plus the Double Fine employees will all be able to work in the same room together. I'm quite envious of all this, but it should still be fun regardless to work with fellow Double Fine fans! :)

Something that was tossed around briefly when we were refining the pitch concepts was that some "memories" might not be the adventurer's life experiences, and might instead be a TV show they watched or a book they read. The idea that memory is tricky, and that what we can recall doesn't always match what really happened is super interesting.

It was too early to think about it before, but I was mulling over the idea of having a mechanic that invited players to indicate whether they felt that memory was a real memory or not. Whether or not that has any implication for the narrative that the game explicitly presents, I sort of like the notion of it being a way for players to define their character's backstory - to encourage "headcanon" as it were. This and other ideas are definitely something to consider/discuss as we lead up toward the end of voting that will decide the "main" community project.

It'd also be good to discuss whether all memories should be adhering to the same interface/UI and making use of the same mechanics, or whether things should be more freeform (which might be more expressive, but will require a lot more work from an integration standpoint, I think). This will impact on what kind of engine/technologies we'll want to pursue as well. Ultimately, the group that put the pitches together will be deciding what shape things take, but we'd definitely like to inform those decisions with perspectives and opinions from the broader community, so discussion on that front would be super welcome!

As we get closer to wrapping up the voting period, I wanted to share a few extra snippets. Here are some rough thumbnails of some possible scenes for the pitch video that I did. From top left going clockwise, they are the "70s cop" scene (seen in the video), a castle with a butt banner being approached by a giant wooden rabbit, a giant sitting on a mountaintop poking above the clouds, and someone wearing a traffic cone looking out from a lighthouse as a square rigger gets ready to wreck itself on a cliff. Fun times!concept_thumbs.thumb.png.8b5077cfb080f81bb0d9c70d72e9eac2.png

I love how varied these scenes are. I would love to see each one with a totally different art style though. 

I love this idea.

Having all these different events/memories, with different art styles and gameplay sounds like a very intriguing way to express a character recalling his memories.

I would be happy to help with any 3D models, texturing and animating.:D

Voting is over. Pongball has been selected as the primary community project! Thanks for helping us pick, everyone! We'll have some posts up later today with some more information on how things are going to work from here. Development will kick off on the 12th!

I'm unlocking this temporarily, as I'm looking into running this as a side project to Pongball during Amnesia Fortnight.  I'm already managing The Lost Dev Team, but Cheese and I decided that it would be best to get an idea in the interest in an Amnesia Adventure side project before we go forward with it.

If this does go forward, it's going to use the point and click Escoria for the Godot engine (the engine used to make the point and click adventure game "The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonca and Pizzaboy".

TimeGentlleman was talking about having people creating scenes independently, and then they'd be stitched together by the AA pitch team.  Does anyone have any desire to do that (I'll write up a guide for Escoria to make it hopefully easier to get up to speed on development using it).  I'm also up for creating scenes in a similar fashion to how we did the Forum Downtime Funtime Adventure (one scene at a time), if people would feel more comfortable submitting assets rather than scenes.  Or, we could do both, depending on where the desire lies.

So, let me know if there's still a desire to make this, as I'd love to go forward with this too if people are up for contributing to it. :)

36 minutes ago, Jenni said:

I'm unlocking this temporarily, as I'm looking into running this as a side project to Pongball during Amnesia Fortnight.  I'm already managing The Lost Dev Team, but Cheese and I decided that it would be best to get an idea in the interest in an Amnesia Adventure side project before we go forward with it.

Would love to see this happen!

I'd be interested in trying to do something for this, as it kind of relates to what I'm working on at the moment anyway. Though unfamiliar with the proposed engine I'd give it ago - I like the idea of creating independent scenes and stitching them together somehow.

I'm very interested too. How would we go about contributing to this? Eg. creating rough scenes for our ideas individually with placeholder art and dialogue that is refined collaboratory?  

A quick heads up for people. When the AA subforum is live, I'll do a bit of thread surgery and move relevant posts from this thread over into a new one.