• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Cheeseness

Community pitches, what the heck?

Last Amnesia Fortnight, intrepid community members came together to develop Bad Golf: Community Edition based on Patrick Hackett's unsuccessful Bad Golf pitch.

This time, we're trying something different! The following community projects will be worked on across Amnesia Fortnight:

In preparation for this, we pulled together a small team* of Bad Golf contributors to workshop three game concepts for the community to choose from to be the "primary" community project. The selected community pitch will be graced by some DF mentorship in the form of daily chat/Q&A sessions from cool people like Tim Schafer, Greg Rice, Matt Enright, Anna Kipnis, Miyuki Richardson, Camden Stoddard, Paul O'Rourke, Geoff Soulis, Kee Chi, James Marion, Jeremy Mitchell, and Chad Dawson!

Voting for the "primary" community project is now over, with Pongball being selected as the community favourite (you can view the results here). You can find more details on the individual community pitches in these threads:

Exciting!

* Please join me in thanking the following people for their efforts in brainstorming, development and preparation that has resulted in the community pitches! @aaronscientiae @Anemone @Bidiot Bales @bobsayshilol @Cheeseness @flesk @invadererik @Jenni @Lasd @lightsoda @Lokno @Syd @Taekon @TimeGentleman @ThunderPeel

How do be part of the actual development process? This sounds super fun and I'd love to help. 

After the idea is picked after the 7th, we'll have some threads and chats to organize, set up collaboration systems and start working at the same time as Double Fine (or maaaaybe we'll take a short headstart if we get too excited : D).

Based on last time, it IS gonna be amazingly fun and everyone is welcome to help! Watch these spaces!

Is there a way to suggest a game? Any reward if it's picked?:) Or just seeing it made.

I'm no coder, but I am an artist. I too would love to offer to help whoever gets chosen if they need it. :)

I posted this in the other thread as well, but might as well add it here too:

@ZZoMBiE13 on Twitter

Deviant Art page: http://zzombiexiii.deviantart.com/

Edited by ZZoMBiE13

I'm checking out the pitches and I gotta say, it's a tough call. I'm poring over the details and videos now.

Thanks everyone for coming together to work on these pitches! It takes a lot of time and energy to put these together and we really dig that you're jamming with us.

6 hours ago, Vic Romero said:

I'm checking out the pitches and I gotta say, it's a tough call. I'm poring over the details and videos now.

Thanks everyone for coming together to work on these pitches! It takes a lot of time and energy to put these together and we really dig that you're jamming with us.

Thanks Vic! I'll pass that on. I'm super proud of everybody for the effort they put in, and can't wait to see where things go from here :D

8 hours ago, Craig234 said:

Is there a way to suggest a game? Any reward if it's picked?:) Or just seeing it made.

There's no way to suggest a game to be included in voting, but if you'd like to make something else, you're totally welcome to! When voting ends, I'll make a space for people to let me know about any other projects they're working on, and I'll make sure they get their own threads, and access to a GitHub repo.

10 hours ago, Guest kyle3wynn said:

How do be part of the actual development process? This sounds super fun and I'd love to help. 

As @Lasd says, we're going to go into more detail about how we'll open things up for the community to contribute to and get involved with after voting ends. The outcomes of the voting process are probably going to shape who's available for what, and what kind of tech we're using and all that good stuff, so the next few days are mostly a waiting game (feel free to throw suggestions, comments and discussion around in each project's thread though!).

This is awesome! 

If anyone wants any help with audio hit me up, completely pumped  sound designer here

9 hours ago, MattLightbiund said:

This is awesome! 

If anyone wants any help with audio hit me up, completely pumped  sound designer here

Same here. There always seems to be so many of us. 

When I heard "Community Pitch" the first time around, I thought of it as impossible. Complete strangers, from around the world, with little to no *professional* skills, communication barriers, etc, in the same - shortest - amount of time, trying to make a rabbit out of thin air AND pull it off a hat. 

Boy, was I wrong.

Takes a very special kind of enthusiasm and dedication. The kind, which makes the DF community so great.

Good luck, this year! :)

5 hours ago, AdamBeckett said:

When I heard "Community Pitch" the first time around, I thought of it as impossible. Complete strangers, from around the world, with little to no *professional* skills, communication barriers, etc, in the same - shortest - amount of time, trying to make a rabbit out of thin air AND pull it off a hat.

Last Amnesia Fortnight's Bad Golf community development project (if you haven't heard of it, check out the awesome work that contributors within the community were able to squeeze into two-ish weeks!) ended up being a good proof-of-concept that opened up the opportunity to do what we've done here. If this year goes well, I'm sure we'll be able to come up with more ways to improve/grow future community development/participation stuff in the future :)

3 hours ago, Captain Quack said:

I can do voice and various sound effects :) 

Will there be a lot of quacking? ;)

Alrighty, people. We're down to the last 12 hours of voting (here's a countdown if that's helpful!). If you've not yet voted, get on that!

Poll results will be visible, to everyone, but we'll hold off opening everything up to community contribution till the 12th to coincide with the start of Amnesia Fortnight itself. We'll make use the intervening time to get a little extra groundwork/planning done so that we're in a better position to accept contributions from the beginning than we were when Bad Golf - we'll also be encouraging more disucssion and deeper exploration of the selected project across that time, so everyone can still be a part of things :)

Thanks to everybody who's been supportive so far, and thanks again to @aaronscientiae @Anemone @Bidiot Bales @bobsayshilol @Cheeseness @flesk @invadererik @Jenni @Lasd @lightsoda @Lokno @Syd @Taekon @TimeGentleman @ThunderPeel for their help and hard work in getting things this far!

For anybody who hasn't spotted, we've got an announcement/FAQ thread up covering Pongball's selection as the "primary" community project and looking at how things will work moving forward. Exciting times!

We're in the process of getting subforums up for the community projects. The Pongball one is up now. The Lost Dev Team and Tablenauts will hopefully be ready soon!

Things are kicking into gear!

We now have subforums up for the following community projects that you can help out with:

We've also had our first mentor stream featuring Greg Rice and Tim Schafer, who were super generous with their time and gave some great insights.

Aaaaaand, there's talk of people being interested in moving ahead with the Amnesia Adventure pitch. If that's your sort of thing, post here!

Amnesia Adventure is now moving forward with development too! Hop on over here to check out progress and/or join in!