Double Fine Action Forums
Endlessness

What are the chances that any of these games will become full games?

Hey! I was a fan of Steed and Dear Leader, and I'm still so sad that they never went into full production. In fact, if I recall correctly, none of the prototyped games from 2014 became real games. Should I expect the same thing for 2017?

I don't want to get super excited about a game and have my heart broken again :violin:

It's difficult to state any kind of probability that any of the games will become full games, since it depends on so many factors. It's probably safe to say that almost certainly not ALL of them will become games, but there's no guarantee that even one of them will become a full game. And based on what we've seen from years past, the ones that become a full game are not even necessarily the games that won the public vote.

There is really no good way to know or even estimate! Sorry! It's best to just think of it as a fun game jam and not so much like a campaign to get an actual full game made.

And if it turns out a game DOES get made, hey, good surprise!

I am still waiting on Black Lake myself. Never say die. ;-)

I'm stil holding torches for Steed and Black Lake of Amnesia Fortnights past, but with John no longer at DF it doesn't look likely for the horsey.

Doesn't explain why the wonderful magic of Black Lake hasn't been made into a full game yet, though. As far as I know.

But yeah, Anemone is right, better to enjoy it as the wonderful game jam that it is. :)

Edited by Talahar

I think there were talks of Black Lake getting published at one point. One time at some kind of presentation or conference, they rattled off a list of games that were finding publishers and Black Lake was in there. Possibly some of those dreaded "hard realities" happened there with the publisher, or possibly it was just a mistake / mistatement.

BUT I'LL NEVER GIVE UP HOPE

12 hours ago, Anemone said:

There is really no good way to know or even estimate! Sorry! It's best to just think of it as a fun game jam and not so much like a campaign to get an actual full game made.

And if it turns out a game DOES get made, hey, good surprise!

That's a good way to look at it! I definitely spoke out of complete love for Double Fine; so many of the games currently being pitched are incredibly appealing to me and UUGGH can't we make them all into full games?!

I'll try not to get too attached this year ;)

... 'Black Lake' is a trigger for me. It was such a well made demo, in the shortest of times. Would have made a wonderful game.

But that's game development in a nutshell. We just had the privilege to get a peek inside. Imagine the games people work over a year on and then it gets canned.

As for "full games" ... I don't know what that means anymore in 2017. 

Some game experiences are great in a bite-size piece. Wanting 'more' of something is always good. But - probably an age thing - the older I am, the more I am ok with a taste of something. I rarely *finish* games. It all turns into *work* eventually, after you learned the rules & systems. Unless the story keeps you going?

Having said that, I still want all pitches to turn into something playable. Gamdev life is cruel.

56 minutes ago, AdamBeckett said:

Some game experiences are great in a bite-size piece. Wanting 'more' of something is always good. But - probably an age thing - the older I am, the more I am ok with a taste of something. I rarely *finish* games. It all turns into *work* eventually, after you learned the rules & systems. Unless the story keeps you going?

I feel like that's less an age problem than the fact that lots of games nowadays are artificially bloated to make you feel like you're getting enough playtime for the price you're paying. I hate that with a passion. I'm willing to pay the same price as any other games for 5 hours of a genuine, well-told story or a unique and fun gameplay. I don't always want 40+ hours of gameplay, especially if it's full of boring side quests like collecting random useless bits for the sake of it.

Sadly, I feel like lots of gamers complain about games being too short, which is why developpers end up bloating the games, or shying away from short and sweet games.

I think some Roman philosopher said this, or something:

"What is going to happen? No one can say for sure, but here is my promise to you,either the game(s) will be great, or (they) will be a spectacular failure caught on camera for everyone to see. Either way, you win. What could possibly go wrong?"

Edited by rheberling

I try to enjoy the pitches and prototypes for what they are and avoid putting any expectations on them beyond that, and if any become a full game, then it's a nice surprise.

3 hours ago, rheberling said:

I think some Roman philosopher said this, or something:

"What is going to happen? No one can say for sure, but here is my promise to you,either the game(s) will be great, or (they) will be a spectacular failure caught on camera for everyone to see. Either way, you win. What could possibly go wrong?"

It's so fancy of you to quote Descartes :happytim:

Full games that originated in AF are:
Trenched/Iron Brigade
Costume Quest
Hack N' Slash
Spacebase: DF9
Autonomous for Leap Motion
Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (originally called Happy Song, and with generic monsters)
Happy Action Theater (I think?)
Middle Manager of Justice

3 hours ago, SL128 said:

Trenched/Iron Brigade
Costume Quest
Hack N' Slash
Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (originally called Happy Song, and with generic monsters)

Don't forget Headlander!

11 hours ago, SL128 said:

Trenched/Iron Brigade
Costume Quest
Hack N' Slash

8 hours ago, Anemone said:

Don't forget Headlander!

And Stacking!

I was surprised Headlander became a full game and Dear Leader didn't. Maybe it was just because they found a publisher for Headlander with Adult Swim and they couldn't find a publisher for Dear Leader. I could see Dear Leader and Steed having publisher issues despite being awesome games.

Edited by doublereed

39 minutes ago, doublereed said:

I was surprised Headlander became a full game and Dear Leader didn't. Maybe it was just because they found a publisher for Headlander with Adult Swim and they couldn't find a publisher for Dear Leader. I could see Dear Leader and Steed having publisher issues despite being awesome games.

I'm utterly amazed still that none of the 2014 prototypes made it to full production. Between Steed, Dear Leader and Mnemonic there was so much potential for great games.

And Little Pink Best Buds would have been pretty mindblowing as a fullgrown fleshed out experience. It already was amazing as a prototype.

Damn shame. :$

Dear Leader evidently was just ahead of its time by about 2 some years. Had it come out around now, it would be in conversation with Orwell and some similar games.

Smiles

14 minutes ago, Smiles said:

Dear Leader evidently was just ahead of its time by about 2 some years. Had it come out around now, it would be in conversation with Orwell and some similar games.

Smiles

Yeah, right now would be the time. We all need some more lighthearted political content to distract us from the real political content.

But let's not go there. This here is games, so let's focus on that. :)

My post is about games. :D 2 of them specifically. Or, one prototype and one currently existing.

Smiles

13 minutes ago, Smiles said:

My post is about games. :D 2 of them specifically. Or, one prototype and one currently existing.

Smiles

Yeah, I meant me. I tend to talk to myself quite often. ;)

Orwell is still on my list, I've only played the demo so far and I liked it quite a bit.

It seems right now it's 33% off on steam, maybe I should take advantage of that....

On 4/6/2017 at 8:06 PM, SL128 said:

Trenched/Iron Brigade
Costume Quest
Hack N' Slash

Does Autonomous for Leap Motion actually exist? I remember the announcement, but I could never figure out how to buy the damn thing. I'm one of the 33 people who actually have a Leap Motion, too.

2 hours ago, Frogacuda said:

Does Autonomous for Leap Motion actually exist? I remember the announcement, but I could never figure out how to buy the damn thing. I'm one of the 33 people who actually have a Leap Motion, too.

Yeah, you get it through the Leap Motion app store (and it's free): https://apps.leapmotion.com/apps/autonomous/windows