Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cavefish

Are Comments on YouTube Getting Deleted?

Seems like I'm seeing a lot of comments on YouTube disappear or are not showing at all despite receiving notifications of replies. What is going on?

Edited by cavefish

Could be that someone is cleaning up the comments. There's a lot of nasty stuff being written in comments on YouTube, and we probably wouldn't want to read most of it. This is me speculating though. I haven't seen the comments, and I don't know for sure what's going on.

20 minutes ago, flesk said:

Could be that someone is cleaning up the comments. There's a lot of nasty stuff being written in comments on YouTube, and we probably wouldn't want to read most of it. This is me speculating though. I haven't seen the comments, and I don't know for sure what's going on.

There is nasty stuff, sure, but "we wouldn't want to read them anyway" simply isn't true. I'm anti-censorship, even if I disagree with the comments in question. Feelings do not simply make another person's opinion invalid. If it turns out Double Fine is deleting comments, I will not continue to support them.

I own every Tim Schafer and Double Fine game, and have been rather vocal about how much I enjoy them so it would be a shame to write off the company over differences in opinion. But I stand by my values. And with that, I respect your views as long as that doesn't include silencing me simply because I disagree with your opinions.

Edited by cavefish

30 minutes ago, cavefish said:

There is nasty stuff, sure, but "we wouldn't want to read them anyway" simply isn't true. I'm anti-censorship, even if I disagree with the comments in question. Feelings do not simply make another person's opinion invalid. If it turns out Double Fine is deleting comments, I will not continue to support them.

I own every Tim Schafer and Double Fine game, and have been rather vocal about how much I enjoy them so it would be a shame to write off the company over differences in opinion. But I stand by my values. And with that, I respect your views as long as that doesn't include silencing me simply because I disagree with your opinions.

Some people think that free speech means they should get to say whatever they want when and wherever they want, and if anyone deletes their comments and/or asks them to leave that this is "censorship" or "anti-free speech" but that's just not how free speech works.

If you go inside a McDonald's and start cursing loudly or saying abusive things to the staff, the manager can and will ask you to leave the store. This is not "censorship".

If you post something on Twitter or Facebook or Double Fine's website that those companies decide is, in some way, against their terms of service or community guidelines, they can delete it or ban you, just like the manager can kick you out of McDonald's. They can give you a warning if they are feeling nice, but they don't have to. This is not "censorship".

You can say whatever you want without being censored, but people are not obligated to let you do it in their houses, on their websites, or in their communities. If you are being a jerk at someone else's party, the host of the party can, in fact, tell you to leave. If you post something against the rules on pretty much any forum, it can be deleted by that forum's moderators. That's not censorship. That's how moderating works.

No one's free speech is being suppressed. 

*edit*

I should add that I do not actually know what, if anything, is happening with YT comments. I'm only stating the above as a general principle.

@Anemone I said nothing of free speech. Double Fine is a private company; I am not saying they do not have the right to silence or block their customers. That's fine. I'm saying I won't support them if they are silencing people simply because said individuals may have feedback that does not align with the political views expressed by the company. That's ultimately their choice if they want to do that, but that does not mean I will continue giving them money.

Edited by cavefish
Fat fingers

3 minutes ago, cavefish said:

@Anemone I said nothing of free speech. Double Fine is a private company; I am not saying they do not have the right to silence or block their customers. That's fine. I'm saying I won't support them if they are silencing people simply because said individuals may have feedback that does not align with the political views expressed by the company. That's ultimately their choice if they want to do that, but that does not mean I will continue giving them money.

Well I don't know what's happening, but "political views" could mean a lot of things. For example, if someone posts some kind of comment or joke that might be perceived as a jab at the LGBTQ community and then it gets deleted, one side might feel like they are just fostering a welcoming community while the other side might construe it as DF "targeting people for their political views." 

11 minutes ago, Anemone said:

Well I don't know what's happening, but "political views" could mean a lot of things. For example, if someone posts some kind of comment or joke that might be perceived as a jab at the LGBTQ community and then it gets deleted, one side might feel like they are just fostering a welcoming community while the other side might construe it as DF "targeting people for their political views." 

While I agree with the sentiment, I don't think it's wise for companies like Double Fine to involve themselves in identity politics. One's sexuality, race, gender, religion, etc. shouldn't matter. So what is the point in bringing it up when there's a high probability you will end up inadvertently offending one group while possibly alienating another? More specifically, why on earth would a small company like Double Fine, who has already stirred controversy though its crowdfunding endeavors, want to put itself in a position where they're walking on eggshells if they don't have to?

Edited by cavefish

11 minutes ago, cavefish said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I don't think it's wise for companies like Double Fine to involve themselves in identity politics. One's sexuality, race, gender, religion, etc. shouldn't matter. So what is the point in bringing it up when there's a high probability you will end up inadvertently offending one group while possibly alienating another? More specifically, why on earth would a small company like Double Fine, who has already stirred controversy though its crowdfunding endeavors, want to put itself in a position where they're walking on eggshells if they don't have to?

I don't understand your point. Removing comments that are attacks on others' identity or sexual orientation aligns well with your reasoning of staying away from discussions about such topics on Youtube.

Anyhow - Double Fine employees are exposing themselves and their ideas to the vast public, and have every right to be shielded against people who want to harass (for whatever reason). One of the points of going public with the pitches is to receive feedback and ideas, and constructive criticism is probably not being removed.

The people that post these things... they aren't looking for an interesting discussion or debate. They are interested in starting arguments and trying to anger people because they don't like Double Fine. It's sad, but it is true.

I have no idea if comments are being removed, but if it helps everyone be a bit more happy and have a good time during Amnesia Fortnight, then so be it.

53 minutes ago, Bidiot Bales said:

I have no idea if comments are being removed, but if it helps everyone be a bit more happy and have a good time during Amnesia Fortnight, then so be it.

I'll give that a +1

Of course we are moderating youtube comments, the most infamously toxic comments on the internet. We moderate them (and comments elsewhere too, including here) in an attempt to keep our online spaces civil, respectful and as family friendly as possible. 

We welcome criticism, and for people to disagree with us, but we have no reason to tolerate or publicize the sort of abuse that is hurled at us on youtube, especially for Amnesia Fortnight when our employees are very publicly putting themselves out there.

Sometimes this moderation might affect something that is a genuine comment because it sounded too much like someone trying to start trouble, or something else. We are as thorough as we can be there, but we're sorry for the cases where that might be true. 

--------

In regards to gender politics - our policy is to be as inclusive as possible to everyone no matter the color of their skin, their gender identity, where they are from, what they look like, the way they speak or any other thing. If that means that we have to walk on eggshells for eternity then so be it.

There are many individuals who feel underrepresented in games, or represented unfairly and often cruelly. We believe that our industry should be much better about this, and that includes us. If we sit by and do nothing then it will go against our belief, and so instead we are committed to trying our best to be better about it, to keep on learning as we go, and hopefully others will do the same.

This includes moderating comments that conflict with this commitment.

We believe that standing up for people's rights is the correct way to behave, and if you disagree with that or our moderation policy then we'll understand if you want to take your support elsewhere. I truly hope that you can see things from our perspective though. 

- i'm locking this thread, but you can PM me if you want to discuss any of this privately. Thanks!