Double Fine Action Forums
Cheeseness

Primary Community Project (Pongball) & FAQ

FAQ

Who do I talk to if I have questions or need a decision made?

At this point in time, @Cheeseness @lightsoda @bobsayshilol @invadererik are the best people to talk to.

What is IRC?

IRC is a realtime chat system. We'll be using that rather than the forums' built in chat system so that we don't crowd things up. There are all sorts of IRC clients - if you have one that's connected to the Foonetic network, you should be able to type /join #amnesia-fortnight-community to find your way there. If that doesn't make sense, you can use this easy to use browser based IRC client.

Where can I download the game code, assets and builds?

You can find the current version of the game's codebase and its assets in the main Pongball repo on GitHub. You can find source files for assets in the Pongball assets repo. You can find current and historic builds the main repo's releases page.

I'm having problems! Where can I find help or report bugs?

Hop on over to the Help and Troubleshooting thread for more information!

Where can I learn more about Git/GitHub?

You can find an introduction on using Git and GitHub on the Pongball wiki!

What if I just can't work out how to use GitHub?

If you're contributing assets you can let the people listed in the "Who do I talk to if I have questions?" section at the top of this FAQ know and we can organise to get your stuff committed.

If you're working on code, you'll need to learn to fork, clone, pull and make pull requests to work effectively on the project.

Where can I find out what I can help with?

We'd rather let people work on what they're excited/motivated to work on themselves than assign everybody roles, but if you're stuck for inspiration, you'll be able to find bug lists in the GitHub issue tracker and "projects" todo list, and you can also ask the people listed in the "Who do I talk to if I have questions?" section at the top of this FAQ.

What if I want to work on something that someone else is already working on?

If you're working on assets, that's fine. We're aiming to set up the project in such a way that we can double up on music, models, levels, sounds, etc.!

If you're working on code, collaborating with others is great. There's nothing wrong with working on multiple possible implementations, but unless the functionality being provided is something the game should allow users to switch between, understand that only one will be included in the project.

What happens if my contribution breaks somebody else's?

This is the nature of collaborative development, so don't stress too much. Definitely let the other contributor or one of the core developers (see the people listed in the "Who do I talk to if I have questions?" section at the top of this FAQ) know and we'll work to smooth things over. On rare occasions, rolling back a commit might be needed. If that happens, we can look at what changes would be needed to allow for for re-adding that back in.

What licence(s) are we accepting contributions under?

We're using the MIT licence for Pongball (excluding third party dependencies). See the Contribution guidelines and licencing wiki page for more details!

Can we put in references to other games/copyrighted works?

If you want to include a small reference or easter egg (eg: a stuffed glottis toy in a kid's room), that's fine, although we're asking that you contribute these works under a CC BY-NC licence (see the Contribution guidelines and licencing wiki page for more details). If you want to do something that's a prominent part of the game's content (eg: Manny as a character you interact with), that's not a good fit for this project.

If you're looking to include/make use of anything owned by Double Fine, we can be a bit more flexible, but touch base with @Cheeseness first so that we can organise proper approval.

2 hours ago, Reid_Harris_Cooper said:

Per Foonetic IRC (cause I don't want to download a client just for this one channel):

What's THIS mean?

irc.foonetic.net: All connections in use

It means that too many people are connected to that particular server in the Foonetic network.

I kept getting that message too, couldn't get mibbit to work, so I ended up using kiwiirc.com instead. It's a web client too.

If we had rotating paddle, then the player should be able to aim for targets

paddleRotate.gif.fe6f12d978ef7ffca689528b60f5b040.gif

For anyone having trouble with IRC, it looks like some of foonetic's servers have gone down. People in Europe seem to be less likely to be able to connect to the rest of us. In the meantime, we can use the forum chat to stay in touch if needed.