• Announcements

• Spaff

New Forum software & theme display issues   07/20/2017

The latest forum update has caused some readability issues with our themes!  This was unexpected, so might take a little bit of time to fix, sorry about that. I think we've fixed the main ones though. We could have a bunch of new features too, I just need to look at those and see what we have enabled etc. More on that soon! If you spot any issues or things we need to tweak, please post them here:   a
Cheeseness

Concept Art

Share, discuss and collaborate on any concept art for Pongball that you'd like to share! If you're sharing something you didn't make, be sure to credit the artist!

Below are concept pieces from @lightsoda and @Cheeseness created for the Pongball pitch video

lightsoda.thumb.jpg.3733484602f3d13307e69a0a4d9b84c8.jpgconcept_table.thumb.png.59e61d2ca2505ccacd176e5fa1cba5ae.pngconcept_table_plan.png.9430c78598f8ec2b3baa889dc94a2f2b.png

so a stray thought I wanted to share. circular bumpers kind of look like upside down vase so could be a kiln tie in. perhaps we could use vr headsets as long bumpers and knife and fork as flippers and have a whole tie in level. or not just a thought?

Oh, I should probably share the placeholder logo thing I made in here

placeholder_logo.png

I created a mock up for a level to get an idea of what the board might look like and the elements it contains.
I realize i was imaging a more pinball heavy gameplay than Pong style (ball moves in a straight line until it its an object) after revising the early concepts in the pitch which look more Pong style.

But this concept can still be used to help give some points of reference.
A= Walls etc, B= 3D bridges that are above or to the side of the board, C= Bumpers that bounce the bounce away when hit / also act as switch or buttons, D= Pin bumpers very bouncy for the ball to hit multiple times to rack up score, E= Spinner when ball passes through it spins (as it spins it could charge up a meter for the team that hit the ball through), F= Possibly a special zone, in a difficult to reach place, to trigger powers or special events, G= A box that needs to be charge so that when a team send the ball in it'll shoot it to the opponents goal.

I thought there could be booster pads on the board that are usually off. Teams can turn them on by hitting buttons. Perhaps they could also make them flip direction.

I like the idea that a team might want to pass the ball to their teammate in order to hit a button on their side, so put a little hill for them to roll the ball over.

Not sure what exactly the gameplay is going to be, so if it is more Pong-like this board might not work very well.

board01conceptkgunn.jpg

This looks amazing KGuNN, would love to see those charge shots in the game somehow, sound deadly!

Nice, KGuNN! That's a great exploration of some of the things that could be relevant to Pongball!

That's a really nice concept for a table. I feel like getting a good table design in place should be the first step, since it's a big part of how the game works, so we can get core gameplay in place. I will try and come up with some additional concepts during the day. But if we don't come up with anything that's much better, I might take a stab at putting your concept in the game, @KGuNN

Edited by lightsoda

Hey that's a cool table! Were you thinking of 4 players, 2 with flippers and 2 with paddles? Or maybe 2 players able to control both things?

Here's some concept for a paddle style and gameplay. If it's concave, players can actively make it convex to hit the ball harder.

58ef65974fe39_Screenshotfrom2017-04-1313-38-35.thumb.png.2d33f5fab24313ff944826609901a8a6.png

58ef657e261ae_Screenshotfrom2017-04-1313-47-08.thumb.png.bd7b0e2d0d436707324d84a0fb175e16.png

1 hour ago, kednar said:

Hey that's a cool table! Were you thinking of 4 players, 2 with flippers and 2 with paddles? Or maybe 2 players able to control both things?

I designed the table for 4 players(2 on each side) , but can easily be for 1 each side with more things to control.

Well I initially designed the table thinking of both sides using flippers to interact with the ball. But realised the game play was more Pong like and changed two into to a paddle. 

Left the flippers in to see how it looked and to generate the idea that we could have two styles. 

Really cool idea with your paddle design. Having it concave would be great so the players can aim the shot. 

Not really convinced by this, but maybe inspires some mechanic. Paddles could have a slingshot-like mechanism: hold and release to hit. 

No idea how players would aim, though... a flat paddle might be more appropriate.

paddle_kednar1.gif.3687b0ada544ffeb5ddd968813d8c31b.gif

paddle_kednar1_ani.gif

Edited by kednar

Oh very cool. 

Love the look of the paddle and the style. The Tron-like theme will look great for this game I think. 

I'm not at a computer to draw anything at the moment, but could it be fun with a paddle that spins while you move it up and down? Eg. clockwise while moving up, and anti-clockwise while moving down. I'm thinking of something that might be triggered by certain in-game events and only last a few seconds. It's more challenging than a normal paddle since you won't be able to hit straight with the flat side most of the time, so maybe there'd be some kind of score multiplier as well.

Alternatively, maybe it rotates at different speeds up and down, so a skilled player could move it quickly past the point they're aiming to hit the ball a few times to line it up properly for a more precise hit.  

1 hour ago, flesk said:

a paddle that spins while you move it up and down

Cool idea for a crazy nerf! :D

Here's a concept art for a round level with an elevation in the centre. It has a hole in the top for triggering something. It should have more bumpers! I also made a curious ball :)

level_k1_sideview.thumb.png.6211efff99709603360dc1356b346c59.png

level_k1.png.5a062b3e2198e35b2984a4ad15efe282.png

ball_k1.png.200143983f46e8cb0babf6cda13d9c33.png

Since Cheeseness shared his much more beautiful and simplified logo I'm going to share the first one I built from multiple elements to invoke Pong and Pinball.

Mine is uglier though since I digitally drew parts of it and tried to add element filters. 

Pongball logo copy.png

Alright, tried making something with a bunch of pinball elements, I guess the layout is based on @KGuNN's concept. Overall I would like more just reactive stuff on the board itself. I've completely omitted the player zones in this so pay no attention to that...

I also made a quick sketch for what I would imagine character movement to be like if we went with actual characters, but I wouldn't mind something more abstract like @kednar concept.

blehboard01.png

characters_01.png

Edited by lightsoda

I do like the idea that players can run around freely and perhaps hit the ball in the direction they are facing which would give way more control than just a paddle. love the look of that table, all the arrows and rails especially.

Nice one. That looks very cool!

Would the characters have some kind of box to show the hitbox for the ball?

Quick concept for having flippers on the opposing teams side to help shoot at the goal

attackFlippersConceptKGuNN.jpg.95afe52a199c2280b83938f1d962bb39.jpg

I love the simplicity of this table KGuNN! I think the simple little loops on each side could be really interesting and personally I love the flippers. Even if we just had one button per player which would activate the flipper closest to them.

Submitted a new table model design to be tested, so level design can be refined. 

KGtableRender.jpg.5350100b493b0fa2dc334e76d9f2db00.jpg

(the rendering went a bit weird!)

Branding seems to be my big thing and while the placeholder font is workable and my first try at a font is... something interesting but not really workable I decided to play around a little more.  

I have all the original stuff for this so I can play around more, but I wanted some thoughts on this before even githubbing or continuing down this path.

PongBallLogo2 copy.png

PongBallLogo2 copy2.png

Heya

nice logos, it makes me think of 8bit graphics or pixel art. Which may not be the style for Pongball. Perhaps something more futuristic looking?

Well I was thinking the logo could invoke some of where PONG BALL was birthed from.  For without Pong or Ping Pong on the Magnovox or Pinball... we'd never get to PONGBALL.  I thought a futuristic element could be when we have a finalized ball it could be coming out of the O like a spaceship?

At least that's where my head was at.  The lettering here can also be redrawn to have a more futuristic feel.  This is literally more like a sketch.