• Announcements

• Spaff

New Forum software & theme display issues   07/20/2017

The latest forum update has caused some readability issues with our themes!  This was unexpected, so might take a little bit of time to fix, sorry about that. I think we've fixed the main ones though. We could have a bunch of new features too, I just need to look at those and see what we have enabled etc. More on that soon! If you spot any issues or things we need to tweak, please post them here:   a
Cheeseness

Concept Art

I absolutely love this kednar!! I love the colours and the hump ^_^

Really liking the artistic style cheese and kednar!

Concept tables:
1) A simple game of pong except for the conveyor of random obstacles for players to deal with.  
2) Pong + periodically a tractor beam snatches the ball and brings it into a minigame room where winning the minigame provides an advantage in the main game.  In this case firing the ball towards the losers goal.
ConveyerTable.pngTractorBeam.png
Gizmo:
Cannon - feed the ball into the cannon to have it flip over and shoot the ball at the opponents goal.

Cannon.png

Superpowers:
I'm trying to make an indicator for which superpower a player has.  So far I've tried the written name of the ability, a small icon for the ability next to player score, and a large icon for the ability drawn on the table.  The written name is looking best imo.  Or maybe the players shouldn't know what they have.
-the power of all players should be displayed
-looking for your power should not distract from your paddle
-it needs to work on all tables

PowerUpTest.png

Edited by osse101

Cool ideas @osse101.

I really like the idea of having a mini game board that can add chaotic fast paced moments. 

Heres an idea for the asset and table selection screen

I'm not sure what we are going to do about the player selecting a paddle and table, also being able to switch different assets.
but this is what I had in mind. Although I've never made a menu screen before so not sure if we can implement this in time?

The idea is that as the player selects through the different options the item in question is shown in the window

SelectionMenuConcept.thumb.jpg.3993f41ed343ece26fd788fd0a130260.jpg

I really like these colours and the soft corners!

6 hours ago, fragmental said:

Still needs some work, but it's coming along
image.png

Could you add the sfx switcher onto this menu instead of having it in the options menu? 

I've put together a concept for the main menu background.

If it's alright I'll see what I can get done before the stream tonight.

IMG_20170427_1153441_rewind.thumb.jpg.039feec93e057ce481057184f187d013.jpg

30 minutes ago, Mythalore said:

I've put together a concept for the main menu background.

If it's alright I'll see what I can get done before the stream tonight.

Ah! I think we might have had a miscommunication. I thought you were talking about trying to theme up the game setup menu to match the main menu's button and background styling.

I think for something as big-scope as this we should hold off until after the stream. The window we have available here is too small to handle sorting things out if anything goes awry.

10 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

I think for something as big-scope as this we should hold off until after the stream.

Yeah that's fair, I think I'll just try for a background image, would be nice to have something with a bit more depth

On 4/26/2017 at 10:50 AM, kyle3wynn said:

Could you add the sfx switcher onto this menu instead of having it in the options menu? 

Don't know if I ever responded to this.  It's a better place for it, or maybe on a menu you can access in-game.  I'm not entirely sure about the state of sfx and sfx-switching.  Feel free to make a github issue about it, though I don't know if anyone would be able to get to it for a minute.

Just thought I'd have a go at a logo myself :D

Pongballlogo01.thumb.jpg.3237034ab9f4849a1cdcfde4a5e6c36d.jpg

1 hour ago, KGuNN said:

Just thought I'd have a go at a logo myself :D

That looks great, love the stencil style with that colour choice!

I didn't get a chance to explain powers once I got into scripting.  At their core, they are a way to interact with the ball when it is not near your paddle.  That typically means interfering with your opponent.  From there, many of the designs have been given flexibility in where they can be used to give the option of responding to your opponents power with one of your own.

Obstruct
The design is to restrict the movement of the opponents paddle. My aim is to stop them from defending a portion of their area. And that has turned into 'throwing' the cube at their paddle and if it hits then they are frozen.  Picture an anvil falling on the opponent paddle, and they get a second to dodge.  It forces a choice of which portion of their zone they will commit to defending.  On its way to being renamed to something like "Block."

Obscure

Obscure is working pretty well. It makes it almost impossible to aim the rebound of the ball when defending but you can still get the paddle in front of the ball most of the time. The cloud location needs to be made so it covers a more consistent amount of the playing area. From here it might help to make it extra long so it combos into your next power.  A simpler name might help here too, perhaps Fog.

Slow

The best use I've found for slow is to have it defend half of your zone while your paddle defends the other half. But its not great how that is almost the only way to use it and it's not apparent until you've been playing for a while. I could see moving the bubble forward a bit so half the radius isn't wasted.  Maybe pick up your bubble and replace it, true to Braid.  
I'm thinking of replacing it with a dual purpose power, Reflect.  Or look into more defensive powers like multiple paddles, or an on demand wall that covers your entire goal.

Reflect
Bounce back the ball wherever it is on the table.  Offensive and defensive uses.
ReflectPower.png
Lazer
Fire bullets from your paddle that push away the ball.  Slow the ball defensively, put up a wall of bullets to zone the ball, or fire cross table to push the ball towards your opponents goal.
LazerPower.png
TriPaddle
This started as a simple gain two paddles to help defend but I have a more interesting idea.  Gain 3 powers instead of 1 that all activate simultaneously, but with decreased effect.  
Control
Move the ball (vertically) with your paddle.  I'm thinking towards(vertically) the paddle that activated the paddle is fairest defensively & offensively.
Meteor Storm
~20 meteors fall on the board.  If they land on the ball, it will be exploded away from the impact point.  This all ends with a giant meteor hitting the center of the table.
meteor_power.png

Then for table ideas
- alternate objectives.  Try to hit 3 specific points on the map before your opponent.  Works better with a shared paddle area, or having paddles cover the length of the table.
-do away will walls and replace bumpers with spinners.  See how the game feels when the ball isn't able to stay on one side of the table.

Edited by osse101

On 04/05/2017 at 8:18 AM, osse101 said:

Obscure is working pretty well. It makes it almost impossible to aim the rebound of the ball when defending but you can still get the paddle in front of the ball most of the time. The cloud location needs to be made so it covers a more consistent amount of the playing area. From here it might help to make it extra long so it combos into your next power.  A simpler name might help here too, perhaps Fog.

I feel like different people must be having different experiences with this one. I can see the ball and the paddle clearly through the cloud, which is a bit of a problem.

On 04/05/2017 at 8:18 AM, osse101 said:

-do away will walls and replace bumpers with spinners.  See how the game feels when the ball isn't able to stay on one side of the table.

This is what I was trying to explore with my hedge garden table concept. If anybody wants to run with that, feel free!