• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
jctwood

General discussion

None of the other threads here seemed appropriate for this post so I thought I would create a general discussion topic for non development related pongball conversation. 

I'm trying to find a way to play the old school Space Cadet pinball game (the sounds on there were amazing and I want to draw some inspiration from there) that was on old PCs but I've had no such luck. Anyone know how I can get that on a Mac?

11 minutes ago, kyle3wynn said:

I'm trying to find a way to play the old school Space Cadet pinball game (the sounds on there were amazing and I want to draw some inspiration from there) that was on old PCs but I've had no such luck. Anyone know how I can get that on a Mac?

I found this post with a link to a Mac port. Seems you'd have to download additional software (Porting Kit) to make it work on Mac.

4 minutes ago, EMarley said:

I found this post with a link to a Mac port. Seems you'd have to download additional software (Porting Kit) to make it work on Mac.

Perfect. Thanks. 

I used to play a lot of Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies on my Amiga back in the day. Good times ^_^

I adore Space Cadet! Perhaps you can use WINE?

Is it really bad that I prefer the name PIN PONG which Tim accidentally used on the mentor stream? :$

Both names feel a bit too derivative for my tastes, but either could work as a working title. For better or worse, I think we should stick with Pongball for now ^_^

I keep getting the "all connections in use" message on the IRC. Anyone know a work around besides just refreshing?

Connect to a different server on the same IRC network (if you're connecting to irc.foonetic.net, try connecting to foonetic.net)

Just tested out the build... but it was hard to really judge where we're at as the only way to change tables or test variants seems to be closing and rebooting as of now.

Am I missing something to properly test or not?  

I don't think there is a way to return to the main menu yet. 

That sort of thing isn't so important for initial testing, but thanks to @lightsoda, that functionality will be present in future builds.

Just a thought:

In Pinball, you play with the strenght of the flipper hit, to reach certain places. You can achieve fine control over where the ball is going. Is that something desirable for Pongball? How could that work in terms of control?

Maybe the longer you hold the button the stronger a "pulse" will be?

I think we're at a point where there's value in pushing these kinds of gameplay concerns out into separate discussions. I just made a thread for discussing paddle controls which pulls together all the ideas/suggestions that I've seen so far over here!

Phew! After a week of intensive programming practise in preparation for the week-end, me and my team completed the Ludum Dare, we made a game in less than 16 hours over two days! Had a lot of fun and learnt a lot in the process, it was great. So now I can bring all that knowledge to... the two days that are left for Amnesia Fortnight? :$ At the beginning, I thought I'd be able to do Amnesia Fortnight to practise for Ludum Dare, not the other way round! I'll try to catch up, but first I need to sleep for twelve hours, I look like death warmed over.

PS. I brought my Broken Age artbook along more as a good-luck charm than anything, and it fascinated two of my team-mates enough to get them to play the game too :hexiraz:

Edited by EMarley

Woah that is awesome! Would love to see the game! Have been considering doing a one or two hour  LD jam tomorrow.

A game in one or two hours?! I can't even fathom that, haha. I'll PM you a link to my game! :)

Haha thanks. the 0hourjam is a jam that takes place during the lost hour when the clocks go back. Really fun but intense!

Great job, everyone! Pongball looked amazing! And all the DF prototypes turned out fantastic as well.

So good thank you everyone. Been the past two weeks of my year ^_^

Great job, everyone! :) I haven't played it yet myself, but I watched it on the stream earlier, and I'm very impressed by what you've achieved in such a short time. :)

16 hours ago, jctwood said:

So good thank you everyone. Been the past two weeks of my year ^_^

16 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

You guys should all feel super proud <3

15 hours ago, flesk said:

Great job, everyone! :) I haven't played it yet myself, but I watched it on the stream earlier, and I'm very impressed by what you've achieved in such a short time. :)

16 hours ago, EMarley said:

Great job, everyone! Pongball looked amazing! And all the DF prototypes turned out fantastic as well.

I agree with all of this.  It's been an honor and a privilege to work with all of you, talented developers, on Pongball.

For anybody who's interested, I wrote up some reflections on community participation in Amnesia Fortnight, which can be read here.