Sign in to follow this  
Hungryfreak

The DFAF Action-Packed Forced Listening Thread Of Music Discovery

I didn't understand any of the lyrics, but the backup... was that a guitar or what? It was cool. What band was that?

I love this song. It made me cry the first time I listened to it. It's so sweet ;_____;

The String Cheese Incident, and like someone else said, I think it was a guitar and a piano. Not sure though.

Symphony X is cool, that was a good song and a great album. I guess since the new guy didn't post a song I'll put a link out there, unless he comes back. It kind of reminded me of this one, one of the more underrated prog bands IMO:

Not a huge fan of metal... the only metal i have on my ipod right now is a little metallica. I liked the guitar and stuff, the singer didnt sound rockish enough for me... have Ozzy sing it to make it more metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7MhpFF1vv0

I think most people have heard that song. I have so I'm not going to post anything till this thread almost goes away, then I'll resurrect it again, but im running out of chicken blood and candles so please someone keep this thread going, it has been really good for a long time.

Fine...

Also RHCP

Nice, I haven't heard that song in a long time. It's very catchy and I get in to a nice mood when I hear it.

This song is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions. Sorry Ymir. I'm curious what it was.

Until Ymir posts something, I'm going to put this out there

This song is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions. Sorry Ymir. I'm curious what it was.

Until Ymir posts something, I'm going to put this out there

Well, that was interesting, nothing like the music I usually listen to but I liked it. She's very good with that electric violin.

As for the song I posted earlier, It's called Alles Neu by Peter Fox. You might be able to se it here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fj40_alles-neu-peter-fox_music

But if you can't see it here is Transylvanian Concubine by Rasputina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1SJ47cgEg

I've heard the first, so I went with the second.

Sounded somewhat like a second-rate Veruca Salt, which isn't entirely a bad thing. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though it felt a bit short. It seemed like something that could be a 5-7 minute song that was compressed to a 3 minute song, due to the pacing in contrast to the melodies. I really liked the bass sound in particular, though. It tied together the violin and rock drum beat very well without sacrificing the character of the instrument. Overall it felt more like a sample than a song, and suffers in that regard, but it wasn't too bad at all.

Amesoeurs - "Recueillement"

From what is my favorite album of the year (and one of my favorites in the decade).

I like the idea behind this thread, discovering new music is great.

"Recueillement" wasn't the kind of thing I'd normally listen to, and the quality of the sound on that YouTube vid wasn't very good (really tinny and compressed) which didn't help. I don't mind a bit of screamy vocals used sparingly, but that earlyish bit was too much for me. The musicianship seemed ok, and I can imagine the track working well as a soundtrack to something, but I wouldn't choose to listen to it at home or on a night out. I found it a bit slow-paced, but with enough variation and different sections to keep my interest for the full 7 minutes.

I choose:

Wow that was definitely not my kind of music at all, I do appreciate what they are trying to do, with there nods to psychedelic rock. But that was one of the most repetitive songs I have heard in a long time. I liked the sound samples but really? That was so simplified that I found it a chore to sit through the whole 4 minutes, and this is coming from a guy who enjoys songs well over the 20 minute mark. I felt like I could jump to any point in the song and I couldn't tell the difference one bit. Before you accuse me of anything I did listen to the whole song. I'm not saying anybody shouldn't like this music, all I am saying is I felt that the artist started with a pretty good idea and then repeated it over and over and over again. Don't get offended if you disagree with what I am saying, everybody has their own opinions, I'm just expressing mine. It seems to me that some artists today think that they can take one musical idea and turn it in to a 2-4 minute song, instead of being creative or using the full potential they can. Again this is just my opinion, and as far as whatever this genre is called, electronica or something I don't know, I enjoyed this song more than any other song that sounds like it.

I have been a strong supporter of this band, and I don't think I've posted a link to one of their songs, but I think everyone should give this band a try. Personally I think they should have had this band in Brutal Legend rather than say 3 Inches of Blood.

Very...metally...

But, yeah, this is cool. What kind of metal is this, anyway? I always have trouble figuring that out...

Very...metally...

But, yeah, this is cool. What kind of metal is this, anyway? I always have trouble figuring that out...

It's Progressive Power Metal, a very neich sub genre in metal, if you really enjoyed it, you could also check out Anubis Gate, they are not as heavy, or symphony x. And definitely check out Nightwish's cover of the phantom of the opera, its amazing and its on youtube, try the live version if you want its not much different than the studio version.

After the first few bars of Eighth Wonder I thought I wasn't going to like it. It sounded a bit too 80s-pop for my taste, a bit plodding and rather middle-of-the-road. But I kept listening, and I'm glad I did: I started to enjoy it, and was tapping my foot along by the end. I can imagine it'd be really good live, played a bit faster and with more punch.

No need to worry about offending me or, I hope, anyone else, Seniormeld. Negative criticism is always as valid as positive, and, like you say, everyone's got different tastes.

I choose you,

!

Ehhhh... I thought it was a bit annoying to be honest. ^^; I kinda didn't like it. I mean, if it were playing somewhere I probably wouldn't mind it but I wouldn't wanna just listen to it.

Another of those songs that was recommended to me and that I fell in love with.

In case you can't tell, it's the story of a man who builds a time machine to rescue his wife from the car crash that she died in.

This thread's too good to die, so I'm going again!

With the first few bars of Broken Bride I thought it didn't sound like it'd be to my taste. I was mostly right, but not for the reasons I expected. I actually liked the verses - that dude has a good voice that fits the music well - but I thought the choruses let it down. They were fairly mediocre and predictable, the same few chords used in a kajillion other songs (not always a bad thing, but they didn't really expand on the basics at all). So not really my kind of thing, but not as much as I was expecting :)

Next up, let's mix things up a little with some D&B: Unknown Error - The Yearning (Apex VIP)

Revival time! The video was taken down, but I searched it and found it up on youtube again.

I could probably describe this song in two words. Background music. This reminded me of some track that would be found playing over a particularly exciting boss battle in a video game. The composition wasn't strong enough to really hold interest as anything other than that. It tried to be progressive in certain bits, but stumbled over its own monotonous sound and certain bits just felt out of place or just as repetitive as the driving beat.

Time for some more emo! The video cuts off a bit suddenly at the end for no good reason, so watch out for that.

That song was ok. I didnt like the vocals a whole lot but the instrumentals were pretty good. Kinda shoddy recorded, sounded like it was done in a garage. Drums were too loud but maybe its just my crappy laptop speakers.

ok here's mine

We need to start this again. Right now me and Hungryfreak are pretty much using the "What are you listening to?" thread for this purpose. Alright, I don't know why, but I hate Muse.

No sure why you hate Muse either, I think they're pretty awesome, some of their musical qualities remind me of Queen.

I liked your song. It had a creepy discordant sound going on, the plodding lyrics made it even more fun to listen too. Ultimately it's not something I'd enjoy on a regular basis but I enjoy trying new things.

The Pipettes - Dirty Mind

We need to start this again. Right now me and Hungryfreak are pretty much using the "What are you listening to?" thread for this purpose. Alright, I don't know why, but I hate Muse.

Dont know why but i hate you. LOL it's all good.

It starts off on a creepy note, which I like. Then the speed up and introduction of the vocals works really nicely. The vocals seems to suit the song so far, except for the one bit where she tries to do a deep voice. It seemed a little inelegant. The violin is a nice touch especially when combined with the drum. The fast, fleeting beauty of this song makes it good. The chorus doesn't seem to suit it though, I don't know. I think it is growing on me in time. I really like the ongoing harpsichord (I think) in the background. The lyrics themselves are okay, could be better, could be worse. Overall, a nice and pretty, fast track.

Here:

The Reign of Kindo - Comfort in the Orchestration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6gWOu6DJo

That's was pretty good, I really enjoyed the music, the vocals less so.

When I first heard this song I was like 14, it was around 1 AM or there abouts. And my mind was already filled with thoughts of ghosts after listening to a late night talk show about... Well ghosts and this this freaky song about the future comes on, with it's damning lyrics and haunting melody, freaked me the hell out.

Today it's just goofy and fun.

Great song. It's got a fair bit of despair in it, and references to many sci-fi concepts that seem to be getting closer to reality for better or worse. First time I heard it though was after I heard the Futurama parody.

Garbage. Hated it the second time I heard it. Which was about 10,000 plays ago.

please try to find a link that isnt to vevos channel I dont wanna watch an advertisement before I listen to the song -.-

Fix'd. click the original link, not the quoted ones.

Great song. It's got a fair bit of despair in it, and references to many sci-fi concepts that seem to be getting closer to reality for better or worse. First time I heard it though was after I heard the Futurama parody.

Meh. Sounds a lot like Dragonforce in my opinion but still ok ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZQrMqdv54I

Did you really just listen to only 2 minutes of a 6 minute song?

@scarecrow

Not really my thing. I like the use of eastern instruments though, and the singer sounds pretty good. This kinda sounds like something Tarja would record after leaving Nightwish, though with less operatic vocals and more traditional singing tones.